GTX 780 and HTPC/HDMI

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
I just ordered a MSI GTX 780 Gaming for my HTPC to replace an aging (but still working great) 5870 PCS+. Needed something new and shiny.

Getting a bit buyers remorse now even though I don't get the card before tomorrow. I had a GTX 570 Phantom, which was nice and quiet, but really sucked for HTPC use. A friend of mine have that now. I do like to have both AMD and Nvidia cards, since I sometimes loves to test out features more then gaming even. Thats why I wanted to choose a Nvidia card this time (and because its one of the most quiet cards out there of the higher end).

The largest problem I had with the GTX 570 and HTPC, was the lack of color control since a hack was required to get 0-255 range per RGB over HDMI (and it was a bit annoying when I ran XBMC under Linux and had to override EDID due to small fonts/DPI issues when installing new propritary drivers). Now I use Windows 7 64-bit, so that issue should be gone with the new card.

Since I am going from a 100% stable setup, I'd want the transition to another GPU to become as painless and positive as possible. It would have been nice if someone who use Nvidia GPU on HTPC to chime in and give some pointers on what issues that might arrise and how to solve them. Especially concerning color range and codecs that might be beneficial to a Nvidia GPU. :)

I am quite fond of Nvidia Inspector to setup games.

My specs and setup are as following:
Case: Silverstone TJ08-E
PSU: Fractial Design Newton R3 800W+
CPU: Intel I5-4670K
Blueray player, 3 X mechanical HD and 1 SSD for OS
8GB memory
Connected to LCD TV via HDMI through receiver with 5.1 surround setup

Windows boots into XBMC, where I have a script where it closes XBMC and opens Steam in big picture when gaming. I only use Steam games on the HTPC with Xbox 360 controllers.

Edit:
Ok, now I've installed the card and the transition was pretty painless, except that Nvidia still haven't fixed the full RGB problem. :mad: I can choose between RGB (which is limited RGB and not full RGB) or YCBCR444. No option for full RGB. Making a custom resolution where I change only the refresh rate to 59.99999 hz fixes this, but I don't know if it will stick in all games. Another solution I found was a regedit, where someone have made a tool for convenience:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

I'm pleased with the card itself. It runs cool and quiet with a lot of headroom for a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner if needed. A bit overkill for games that I play on the HTPC, but on the positive side, more headroom for SGSSAA. :D

Last edited:
Back