gtx 770 4GB

rudy

[H]F Junkie
does anyone have reasonable prices on these? Seems like they are all like a $100 premium.

Newegg has a Gigabyte one for $450, not in stock but just hit auto notify and keep checking your email.

Newegg has a Gigabyte one for $450, not in stock but just hit auto notify and keep checking your email.

I got 2 of these this week. If you keep an eye out and use the auto-notify feature you should be able to grab one or more. I have noticed they seem to re-stock early in the week, Monday or Tuesday.

I got 2 of these this week. If you keep an eye out and use the auto-notify feature you should be able to grab one or more. I have noticed they seem to re-stock early in the week, Monday or Tuesday.

Would you recommend spending on the extra VRAM? What resolution do you run?

2560x1600. I upgraded from 2x HD 6950s (2gb). I really didn't have many ram issues as far as I could tell but my reasoning for getting the 4GB version was that if I was going to spend > $800 on video cards then I might as well spend a little more for the 4GB to be safe.

If you are running like 1080p or something then 2gb would be plenty.

I just threw down for 2x 4G gigabyte 770s.... I will put them to the test at 5760x1080.

4gb is faster than 2gb. Might as well pay more for more. I'll stick to my 2gb now for 2560x1600 though as I see more value in a faster gpu than more vram. Just IMO and my experience in owning several graphics cards. I'd spend the money where it's actually needed, then upgrade to a faster gpu when I need it. Getting more vram is always a waste except in the 99% of times or when needed on super high res multi monitor setups or in a few select games at ultra AA settings or if you plan on sli/crossfire in the future. But in the end, If you got money to burn I say do it!!! :p

4gb is faster than 2gb. Might as well pay more for more. I'll stick to my 2gb now for 2560x1600 though as I see more value in a faster gpu than more vram. Just IMO and my experience in owning several graphics cards. I'd spend the money where it's actually needed, then upgrade to a faster gpu when I need it. Getting more vram is always a waste except in the 99% of times or when needed on super high res multi monitor setups or in a few select games at ultra AA settings or if you plan on sli/crossfire in the future. But in the end, If you got money to burn I say do it!!! :p

Huh? You got some 'splainin to do mister!

I thought the mem timings on the 4g cards were actually a little looser because of the increased mem size... but that was with older gen cards... or at least I thought I read that somewhere.. I keep running my 2G 670s at max with Skyrim fully modded out.. hell, even Doom3 with sikmod and lots of AA and SS etc runs them at max.. Skyrim can get a little jump at times.. I am hoping it will be smoother with 4G.

BTW - I bought mine at amazon 450/each with the [H] affiliate link.. free 2 day shipping with prime. but TAX gah.. oh well.

I bought a 4GB EVGA Classified 770 with the ACX cooler thingy. I had a $100 Amazon credit, so paid $409 shipped via Prime.

Three of my favorite words: Out for Delivery :D

LOL.. mine too. Mine shipped last night at 12:38am.. but set for Friday delivery. Well, at least I have the weekend to play. :)

Last edited:

4gb is NOT faster than 2GB except for ultra high resolutions such as Eyefinity triple display and say Skyrim with insane hi res texture packs. But if u got an extra 50 bucks, the extra ram certainly doesn't hurt. I just don't see the need for it with a single 1080p or 1200p monitor.

I read these cards will utilize between 3 and 3.5 of the 4G of mem @ 5670x1080 resolutions. I will see soon if this is true or not. :)

I'm swapping my Asus 770 for the Gigabyte 4GB 770, only $40 more. I only upgrade every 3-4 years, so it makes sense to get the extra RAM.

Very nice evga classified you have there! Very big price premium over other 770s, but I bet it overclocks like crazy! Congrats!

I have 4gb on my 680, but only because I bought it second hand for a cracking price. Wasn't particularly looking for a 4gb card. Doubt I will ever use the extra ram even at 1440p. The card will run out of GPU grunt and be replaced long before I use the extra ram.

4gb is NOT faster than 2GB except for ultra high resolutions such as Eyefinity triple display and say Skyrim with insane hi res texture packs. But if u got an extra 50 bucks, the extra ram certainly doesn't hurt. I just don't see the need for it with a single 1080p or 1200p monitor.

Lol at my sarcasm.

Been gaming with my new GTX 770 4GB. Damn thing is phenomenal! I can max settings on every game at 2560x1600 without the slightest hint of trouble. Haven't tried Skyrim, though. I'm trying to finish several games during this long weekend.

@powruser: You're right about the price premium of the 4GB vs. 2GB. I had a $100 Amazon credit, so I "only" paid $409 for it. As a single monitor gamer, I doubt I'll ever use more than 2.5GB - 3GB even at full 2560x1600 resolution. Still, it's nice to know the extra VRAM is there, just in case.

Back to Bioshock Infinity. Warming up in the bullpen: Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3.

good to hear.. I was sort of regretting my purchase coming from 670s but the extra vmem and stream processors and texture units (??) will be nice @ 5760x1080. and the resale value on mint 670s is good. :)

I do not want to rain on your parade but 4GB VRAM is likely to be of any use unless you go SLI. As far as I know, benchmarks show that a single 770/680 just not has enough power to push settings requiring more than 2GB.

For those who have the budget, the 780 seems like a better option compared to the 4GB variant.

I do not want to rain on your parade but 4GB VRAM is likely to be of any use unless you go SLI. As far as I know, benchmarks show that a single 770/680 just not has enough power to push settings requiring more than 2GB.

For those who have the budget, the 780 seems like a better option compared to the 4GB variant.
Which is why I wrote:

As a single monitor gamer, I doubt I'll ever use more than 2.5GB - 3GB even at full 2560x1600 resolution. Still, it's nice to know the extra VRAM is there, just in case.

Reading is fundamental. ;)

got my cards.... it's a decent step up from the 670s in terms of performance... Skyrim is nice and smooth in the spots it was jittery before, I can max tomb raider out and use tess now... these windforce coolers are nice and quiet but they shoot hot air out the side so I reversed my side fan to exhaust. It dumps warm air right out of the case. I turned the center fan in my TJ09 up to max to get more cool air in. I have seen the temps max out at 70c on the top card.. So far I have only seen 2.5G use of the 4G..

playing with some overclocks now... both cards seem to run at 1260/7500 just fine..

I bought the 4GB variant in hopes of modding the hell out of Skyrim. I heard that some of the official DLCs will be going on sale this summer so I'll me firing up Skyrim again, but with some texture mods.

Been gaming with my new GTX 770 4GB. Damn thing is phenomenal! I can max settings on every game at 2560x1600 without the slightest hint of trouble. Haven't tried Skyrim, though. I'm trying to finish several games during this long weekend.

@powruser: You're right about the price premium of the 4GB vs. 2GB. I had a $100 Amazon credit, so I "only" paid $409 for it. As a single monitor gamer, I doubt I'll ever use more than 2.5GB - 3GB even at full 2560x1600 resolution. Still, it's nice to know the extra VRAM is there, just in case.

Back to Bioshock Infinity. Warming up in the bullpen: Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3.
a gtx770 can not max all settings in every game at 2560.

Look what the friendly UPS man just brought me!! :)

Out of curiosity can you glance in your Nvidia control panel and tell me what the Video Card Bios number is for your new classified card ? EVGA is supposedly using the latest Bios on the assembly line for all there various 770 cards being produced. The revised Bios resolves any possible motherboard conflicts that alot of folks were encountering with the initial launched 770 cards that were shipped to distributors & vendors regardless of brand. These MB issues also had effected the 780 series with its initial release.

If you have the latest and you probably do it should be this = 80.04.C3.00.70 for the EVGA brand.

I`m currently waiting on EVGA to release the GTX 770 4GB FTW version but i might like you opt for the classified if the FTW dont occur for several more months.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...r=&model=GTX+770&interface=&memType=&memSize=

Regards, ;)

Last edited:
i agree or buy a cheaper gtx 770 4gb (gigabyte and zotac brands are $460 and $450 respectively)

that's why I went gigabutt.. ;) but seriously, I wanted to try the windforce cooler also.. I am quite (quiet) happy with it. :)

After a few more days of use, I'm returning my 770 because it's causing my system to overheat and lock up. I think it's due to the ACX cooler blowing heated air into the case. That might have been the problem with my two 680 Lightnings going bad, too.

I ordered an EVGA 770 SuperClocked with the Titan cooler as a replacement. I got the 2GB version because I'm likely never going to need the 4GB of the Classified. With my $100 Amazon credit, my total cost is $359 shipped Prime. Should arrive by Thursday. :)

Last edited:
I'm afraid overheating,t oo.
Do you have GTX 770 in SLI?
Do you think that my Midi tower Thermaltake Swing, with two 120mm fans (one on the front and one of the back) with semi-passive PSU is enough to ventilate air from the case with nonreference cooler card installed?
Front panel is practically not perforated and front fan is in front of HDD's.
I'm not planning SLI.

I'm afraid overheating,t oo.
Do you have GTX 770 in SLI?
Do you think that my Midi tower Thermaltake Swing, with two 120mm fans (one on the front and one of the back) with semi-passive PSU is enough to ventilate air from the case with nonreference cooler card installed?
Front panel is practically not perforated and front fan is in front of HDD's.
I'm not planning SLI.
No, I don't run SLI, but my case is a mid-tower (Antec 1100). There isn't enough room to add the side fan because it's directly where the big video card is mounted on the main board. I'm sure a side fan set as an exhaust would really help, if your case has that option.

My case have the option to.side fan, but I doubt that there will be not enough space also.
Do you have also mounted fan on the back above the graphic card as my case have?
I have only reference cooler cards to these days.
So without side fan there is no chance in mid tower to operate GTX 770?

My case have the option to.side fan, but I doubt that there will be not enough space also.
I have only reference cooler cards to these days.
So without side fan there is no chance in mid tower to operate GTX 770?
Well, I wouldn't say there's no chance you could run a GTX 770. The new one I ordered has a cooler that blows air directly out the back of the PC instead of into it.

After a few more days of use, I'm returning my 770 because it's causing my system to overheat and lock up. I think it's due to the ACX cooler blowing heated air into the case. That might have been the problem with my two 680 Lightnings going bad, too.

I ordered an EVGA 770 SuperClocked with the Titan cooler as a replacement. I got the 2GB version because I'm likely never going to need the 4GB of the Classified. With my $100 Amazon credit, my total cost is $359 shipped Prime. Should arrive by Thursday. :)

wow.. interesting. well, I took a chance with these windforce coolers, I was worried about the same thing but so far all is ok.. I played skyrim for like 4 hours and nothing went thermal or locked up. I am a fan of the blower coolers though just for the fact that they dump all that hot air outside of the case... I did reverse the side fan on my case and lots of hot air is pouring out of it... it's luckily right in the spot where the hottest air from the 770s was coming out of the side of the coolers... so that worked out pretty well. Hopefully I don't run into any issues like you did going forward..

So mount the side fan on the OUTSIDE of the case. There's got to be a way to rig it. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Back