GTX 760 SLI or but a new GTX 970?

Zukker

n00b
I am thinking of putting some more video hp into my system. I was originally going to double up on my GTX 760 at about $250 Canadian, however I have read so many good things about the GTX 970 (about $440) that I am considering purchasing it instead. I have single monitor running at 1900 x 1200 but would like to eventually run a 3 monitor set up.

Question: would the GTX 760 SLI be good enough for present and future use or would the GTX 970 be enough of an upgrade for the extra cash?

I dont why you would even fool with 760 SLI. A single card is always a better choice plus you will still be limited by just 2gb with 760 SLI. And some games dont even scale worth crap and a few dont even work with SLI at all. Skip all that crap and get a single 970.

I would say single card with it being the newest generation. It will have more value if you were to upgrade in the subsequent year.

Go with the 970 and then reassess the situation when you get actually get the 3 monitors setup.

Are your prices all in (including taxes + shipping?)?

You can get a GTX 970 for <$350 Canadian before taxes but with shipping if your brand agnostic currently. All you'd need to do is sell your 760 for $100 (in reality you'd be able to sell it for much more than that) and that would be equal.

GTX 760s also are not worth $250 MSRP Canadian anymore, not even close.

Even if you don't want the new 970 wait until Black Friday at this point. Holiday sale and wanting to clear out stock will probably lead to some good prices.

Also other than getting a budget card I would not go with 2GB VRAM anymore (and arguably even 3GB). The reasoning is if you aren't going budget it doesn't make sense to already buy and have to compromise on settings (although texture settings hold a high weight for me, so that might be dependent from user to user/ by contrast as a example I don't care about AA as much and certain shadow/lighting related settings).

I have two GTX670's in SLI, and am considering a GTX970 myself. BTW, GTX670s are faster than GTX760s.

Thanks all ... I will wait a bit to see if the GTX970's come down a little in price and then I will replace my 760 with one. The price where I am for a GTX970 is still around $400.

Also running SLI gtx 670s. I don't regret it one bit, and have a hard time justifying to myself getting a 970 (even though I have the upgrade itch) but if I only had one 670, no way would I buy another for SLI now. Same thing with the 760s, at one time it was not a bad idea, that time is over.

Black Friday isn't going to make a difference on the 970/980 front. Never does for high end graphics cards. You will have 0 difference buying today or on Cyber Monday either.

I had 760 SLI and now I have the Strix 970. SLI was a bit faster in a benchmarks but the 970 to me has offered a much better gaming experience with less than half the power consumption. Absolutely recommend like some of the others that you get single 970 instead of SLI.

Thanks all ... I will wait a bit to see if the GTX970's come down a little in price and then I will replace my 760 with one. The price where I am for a GTX970 is still around $400.

Are your prices all in? Where are you specifically looking at prices from?

Something to consider is the relative weakness of CND to USD and ongoing forecasts. This might basically offset any future (at least near future) small discounts as base prices will trend upwards.

Canadian tech buyers actually look a large drop in terms of purchasing power over the last year.

Are your prices all in? Where are you specifically looking at prices from?

Something to consider is the relative weakness of CND to USD and ongoing forecasts. This might basically offset any future (at least near future) small discounts as base prices will trend upwards.

Canadian tech buyers actually look a large drop in terms of purchasing power over the last year.

Buy most of my stuff from Here: http://www.ncix.com/

Zukker

Sell your 760 while it's still got some value and get an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G. The 970 will perform better and last you much longer than 760's.

Thank you ... however I am in Canada ... I do not think that price would hold up and I think I would have to pay shipping ...

Living North of the Border does have its downside!

Zukker

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't care about the model/brand you can actually stack coupons and the Zotac GTX 970 at Staples.ca with free shipping but no game bundle for $362 - $15-$40+ in coupons.

NCIX will price match also, so use something like pcpartspicker, and also check other places like new.egg.ca, amazon.ca, memoryexpress, canadacomputers, etc. Stock levels are much better in Canada now but NCIX's base prices are still somewhat high.

What I do 90% of the time is to look at shopbot.ca and pricebat.ca and price match on NCIX.com (only 5% tx for Qc!)
From a quick search on shopbot.ca you can get a 970 starting at 362.99$

I'll buy from directcanada.com if they have the better deal because they always have free ground shipping for order over 50$ and still only 5% tx (they are owned by the same corp that owns NCIX).

Back