GTX 760/192-bit GPU: Bad Deal, Good Deal, or Steal?

PGHammer

2[H]4U
I've found some new (but apparently OEM) nVidia GTX 760/192-bit 1.5 GB (yes - odd memory configuration) discrete GPUs that I'm considering for bottom-end swap-ins for desktops upgrading to Windows 10. (These are basically the equivalents to the old GTX 750 that was designed for this role which have since faded to unavailability for the most part.) Unlike the GTX 750, they still require a single 6-pin feed from the PSU - however, this is no different than the commonplace Kepler (or Fermi) desktop GPUs of the period (or their AMD equivalents); which they would replace.

Where I'm curious is just how well they function compared to their DX11-only and DX12-entry-level peers: AMD R7, GTX 650, GTX 5xx. Still, remember; these are designed to be entry-level DX12 - we're not talking high-end anything here..

If it's a good deal depends on the price.... so that would be good to include. ;)

I got my 760 4gb for $99 from EVGA B-stock. I think you can regularly find new 750's for about the same price as what you posted and those are on Maxwell. It's hard to really call this a good deal.

Hell my EVGA GTX 950 (already sold it, upgraded to 1070) was around $110 after rebate from NewEgg - brand new.

For that price, I would try to get GTX 950's. Comparison on AT bench. Basically the same performance but should be MUCH more efficient.

For that price, I would try to get GTX 950's. Comparison on AT bench. Basically the same performance but should be MUCH more efficient.

The issue is availability - not price.

The lowest priced GTX 750 on the Egg is the same price (more RAM, but lower bandwidth); the cheapest GTX 950 is $15USD above that. (Those are new prices.) Apparently there IS a level below which new hardware refuses to sink.

These cards will go in existing PCs that upgrade to Windows 10 - mostly cheapskate PCs at that. I'm not looking to break any budgets or wallets here.

nVidia GTX 760/192-bit 1.5 GB (yes - odd memory configuration)

192-bit 1.5GB is a *correct* configuration! 2GB would be the odd size for 192-bit.

Okay I see what you meant to imply. Retail 760 were 256-bit 2GB.

192-bit 1.5GB is a *correct* configuration! 2GB would be the odd size for 192-bit.

Okay I see what you meant to imply. Retail 760 were 256-bit 2GB.

Exactly - it's odd both in the sense of it being neither 1 GB or 2 GB and the memory interface is also odd in being neither 128-bit OR 256-bit.

I think the most "odd" was the 320-bit GTX 570.

How was that odd at all? That was pretty normal back then for Nvidia to cut down a chip by dropping a 64 bit controller. The 8800 GTS as well as the GTX 470 were also 320 bit cards.

How was that odd at all? That was pretty normal back then for Nvidia to cut down a chip by dropping a 64 bit controller. The 8800 GTS as well as the GTX 470 were also 320 bit cards.

64, 128, 256, 512
192 -> 128 + 1/2 of 128
384 -> 256 + 1/2 of 256
320 -> 256 + 1/4 of 256

(Though technically the GTX 970 was 224 bit ... 256 - 1/8 of 256)

Haha yeah my old 580 is my current (active) backup card.
Such a loud fan profile (if you don't customize), but it's not worth selling. Only really useful when I'm between cards - like I am now :p

Not even close to a deal. Any there were other cards with 1.5gb of memory at the time. I have a 1.5GB GTX580 somewhere in a box.

A fool is soon parted with his money.

In other words - spend more money?

Geeze - what I'm looking for is exactly what I said - the equivalent to the old GTX 750 or GTX 750 Ti - bargain-basement DX12 cards for those desktops that upgraded to Windows 10. The problem is that the GTX 750 and 750 Ti that USED to occupy that spot are seldom sold new - and when they are, they are priced HIGHER than what I referred to when I kicked off the thread. The GTX 950 is priced even higher than that. What used hardware (in terms of GPUs) are you trying to push?

Why do these PCs need Nvidia DX12 GPUs? They won't be fast enough or have they features to really take advantage of it.

Get Radeon R7 250s. They support DX12 and are around $60 new. They will fill in the DX12 checkbox you want and be perfect for general use. Newegg has a bunch available, some for as low as $45 after a rebate.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Why do these PCs need Nvidia DX12 GPUs? They won't be fast enough or have they features to really take advantage of it.

Get Radeon R7 250s. They support DX12 and are around $60 new. They will fill in the DX12 checkbox you want and be perfect for general use. Newegg has a bunch available, some for as low as $45 after a rebate.

There ARE entry-level DX12 games (Forza 6: Apex is one); also, for right now, most games are STILL DX11-based. And how does the R7 250 perform in DX11 compared to the card I named above?

The issue with GTX 750 (my original choice) is more availability as opposed to price. For these admittedly-lower-level PCs, I'm looking for more DX11 performance with a DX12-entry-level option.

Back