GTX 680: Urgent help needed!

Geolith

Limp Gawd
I get this message when trying to start the PC:

"Please power down and connect the PCIe power cable(s) for this graphics card"

The GTX 680 is by ASUS.

Mobo: ASUS P5KC

PSU: Corsair HX650W

Both power connectors are connected, of course. GTX 460 worked fine on this machine. Replaced it with GTX 680 some 20 minutes ago and got that error.

Thoughts, please?

That should be adequate power. What else do you have in the system? Try disconnecting everything but the MB and the video to see if the msg goes away.

That should be adequate power. What else do you have in the system? Try disconnecting everything but the MB and the video to see if the msg goes away.

Yes, I already thought about it. I disconnected everything except the main HDD and the message indeed went away.

So it appears that this card requires more power than GTX 460. I thought it required less. I thought wrong, apparently.

Now I'll start connecting things back one by one and see where it gets me.

GTX 680 only uses about 200w. The only other thing I can think of is your PSU is only single rail. Maybe 680 needs dual rail?

GTX 680 only uses about 200w. The only other thing I can think of is your PSU is only single rail. Maybe 680 needs dual rail?

I don't know. There is no specific indication anywhere that it needs dual rail. The specs say just "minimum 550W PSU with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A". I think HX650W should provide for it, although I'm not 100% sure.

Try swapping the order of the two plugs. If you are using a splitter, try moving it to a different 4 pin molex. You really don't have many options though. It seems like a fundamental error meaning either your power supply is running far under rated power (very old, possibly?) or the graphics card is defective.

edit: I see your message about the error going away. Your power supply should have had enough power for everything assuming you don't have 8 hard drives and 15 USB devices plus a Sandy Bridge clocked to 4+ghz. If you were running them off a splitter, I'd guess you had hard drives connected up to the same cable run, possibly?

I don't know. There is no specific indication anywhere that it needs dual rail. The specs say just "minimum 550W PSU with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A". I think HX650W should provide for it, although I'm not 100% sure.

I looked your PSU up. Says it is single rail 52A.

Ya the whole single/multiple rails shouldn't even have been brought up, gotta thank marketing.

Yup, the problem is that they market them both ways. Some (incorrectly) market multiple rails as being a superior feature, and others (correctly) market a single rail as being a superior feature.

Check using different connectors. So use the molex to PCIe connectors or something. If you are still having problems I'd say get your card replaced. If you have a second power supply laying around I'd test with that too.

Check using different connectors. So use the molex to PCIe connectors or something. If you are still having problems I'd say get your card replaced. If you have a second power supply laying around I'd test with that too.

This ^^^

um the hx650 corsair is a great ps and can handle way more then 1 680 (which im using one for)so your fine there.

Try swapping the order of the two plugs.

Yes, that's what I did along with disconnecting all extra hardware. It worked after that, but I'm not sure which of those actions helped exactly. Now I'm in the process of reconnecting the hardware one by one. If it still works after that, it can be safely assumed that the problem was in some sort of insecure plug connection.

I have that same PSU. It powers my GTX 580 at stock or OC. My system never pulls more then 400 from the wall and usually hovers around 335W during games or stress tests. So it is definitely enough for the GTX 680. I think you must have just had a loose connection.

I noticed on my connectors that you need to plug in the 2 pin and then the 6 pin for it to be completely flush.

Back