GTX 680 specs leaked

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
No, the part I quoted was referring to an issue that is showing up in multi-gpu and not so much in single gpu.

maybe you should read the article? the page you quoted again, doesn't show SLI as any smoother than CFX, it does show amd having a problem in both Single and Multi-GPU For SC2 with a 3-4 frame "bounce" or "jitter" funny, even the reviewer claims not to know what's going on, but you seem to :)

I'm not going to paraphrase the entire article for you... I already specified quite clearly the actual conclusions it draws. If you want to know what it says, go read it in its entirety. It becomes quite clear the conclusion I drew is indicative of the article's contents when taken as a whole.

I'm not going to paraphrase the entire article for you... I already specified quite clearly the actual conclusions it draws. If you want to know what it says, go read it in its entirety. It becomes quite clear the conclusion I drew is indicative of the article's contents when taken as a whole.

no you haven't I have read it, and I've read the conclusion, and no where in that article, does it state that SLI handles ms better than CFX, seems like YOU are the only one that does.

no you haven't I have read it, and I've read the conclusion, and no where in that article, does it state that SLI handles ms better than CFX, seems like YOU are the only one that does.

I already linked the main page relating to that, but here, again: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/11 You can also look at the graphs and see the general frametimes are less jittery on the nVidia solutions, as that page above discusses due to their padding, vs. the AMD ones. I have read the whole article from beginning to end in the past. Skimming the conclusion is just that: a summary.

I already linked the main page relating to that, but here, again: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/11 You can also look at the graphs and see the general frametimes are less jittery on the nVidia solutions, as that page above discusses due to their padding, vs. the AMD ones. I have read the whole article from beginning to end in the past. Skimming the conclusion is just that: a summary.

Again, it doens't state that it is better, it states difference in single and multiple configurations, and different issues they ran into, not once does the reviewer say "SLI provides less microstutter than AMD or handles it better"

It's great that you have read the entire article, but can't provide a single quote proving what you claimed they said :/

this is going too off-topic

So we're still in the dark on when reviews will be available? I guess the notion this was happenning really soon like last night was just bad info?

This whole generation, nVidia or AMD alike, will probably be scary for the wallet.
Think of what the rumored AMD refresh and GK110 will cost :eek:

But I guess one good thing about the current state we're in is that these days you can easily get away with a mid range card for most typical gamers. Its only when we have the more "extreme" setup like multi monitor gaming that we need these high end cards.

Unlike 10 years ago where there are always new games that benefits from the latest and greatest hardware.

Hey guys...just got back from a forced vacation! ;)

How are the Kepler benchmarks compared to the 7000 series...

Get back to me when I have my personal jetpack.

In other words, unrealistic expectations do not dark times make.

I think his point was that the current crop of cards are not more powerful than we need with current games, as another poster said. The other poster was clearly thinking of the resolution he/she plays in, which doesn't translate for those of us that play in eyefinity/surround. Personally, I (and obviously quite a few others) agree with him - otherwise we wouldn't see any CFX/SLI setups at all.

Hey guys...just got back from a forced vacation! ;)

How are the Kepler benchmarks compared to the 7000 series...

They're doing nicely, thanks for asking! :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/162305/GeForce-GTX-680-Up-To-40-Faster-Than-Radeon-HD-7970-NVIDIA.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/162304/GeForce-GTX-680-Specifications-Sheet-Leaked.html

keplernvidiaslide1.png

keplernvidiaslide2.jpg

Now the million-dollar question... MSRP :eek: .

That was a fan-made slide, not a manufacturer one.

I'd consider manufacturer claims extremely dubious until proven by professional reviewers. Especially when they're in the highly suspect formats portrayed here (no absolute scale, no actual metric [min fps? max fps? are we talking fps at all?], no resolutions listed, no system specs, etc, etc, etc).

1) BF3, 5760x1080, All Ultra + FXAA is what I'm interested in. That and single card Eyefinity will determine whether or not I switch.

This news just makes me more confident in buying something else in the mean time. It will be interesting to see how SLI 580's stack up against the 680 after the release/ price drop we will see.

This news just makes me more confident in buying something else in the mean time. It will be interesting to see how SLI 580's stack up against the 680 after the release/ price drop we will see.

Yeah, a 580 might be the ticket until the fall refresh....guess we'll find out in a week or two.

Time for another Star Wars quote: "This bickering is pointless!"

Or how about another? Since we aren't getting any real info yet "The blocking of communications can only mean one thing....invasion!" The Kepler's are coming, the Kepler's are coming...they wil enslave us all! :D

Five hundred and forty-nine dollars.

Why do you keep emphasizing this? The 7970 is $549, and the 680 looks to perform better.

Even if it ends up being $549 it still looks to be a better deal.

Why do you keep emphasizing this? The 7970 is $549, and the 680 looks to perform better.

Even if it ends up being $549 it still looks to be a better deal.
I just stated my own guess, I'm not putting any emphasis on it. Otherwise I would've used a bold font :p

I just stated my own guess, I'm not putting any emphasis on it. Otherwise I would've used a bold font :p

Lol, sorry, I could have sworn you said something earlier about the price. Must have been another user. :p

I recall someone else saying that the 680 wasn't going to be worth it over the 7970 because it was $549...which makes no sense, really.

Overall I would say the prices this generation are looking to be way too high.

Lol, sorry, I could have sworn you said something earlier about the price. Must have been another user. :p

I recall someone else saying that the 680 wasn't going to be worth it over the 7970 because it was $549...which makes no sense, really.

Overall I would say the prices this generation are looking to be way too high.

Well, we've all been taking AMD to task for pricing the 7970 above the GTX 580 just because it outperforms it (instead of pricing against their previous cards) so it is really only fair if we lambast Nvidia for doing the same thing.

Pricing what should probably be a $399 card at $549 just because the competition overpriced their card sucks no matter who's doing it.

Well, we've all been taking AMD to task for pricing the 7970 above the GTX 580 just because it outperforms it (instead of pricing against their previous cards) so it is really only fair if we lambast Nvidia for doing the same thing.

Pricing what should probably be a $399 card at $549 just because the competition overpriced their card sucks no matter who's doing it.

Totally agree. I bought a 7970 despite the nagging feeling feeling that it was overpriced. I justified it at the time by comparing it to the shockingly overpriced GTX 580s here in the UK. I am not saying the 7970 is a poor card, on the contrary it is an excellent card, it is just over priced IMHO.

I have been saying all along that both AMD and Nvidia have almost always taken the piss with the absolute top end GPU prices. The only times they didn't is when they had an agenda that was not profit orientated, eg to gain market share or to prevent the opposition doing so.

I totally agree. My only point was that comparing two cards of the same price and saying the faster one is "not worth it" is kind of silly.

I think his point was that the current crop of cards are not more powerful than we need with current games, as another poster said. The other poster was clearly thinking of the resolution he/she plays in, which doesn't translate for those of us that play in eyefinity/surround. Personally, I (and obviously quite a few others) agree with him - otherwise we wouldn't see any CFX/SLI setups at all.

Regardless, do you seriously agree with his original prediction that we will look back on the first generation of 28nm cards as a dark time in video card history? Sounds like plenty of Tahiti owners are pleased with the performance of their cards, including Kyle Bennett, and that Kepler is likely to be even better.

Thinking back over recent video card history, I can think of only three dark periods--the original Radeon series, the GeForce 5000 series, and the Radeon 2900XT. Pretty much the rest of the time, both companies were selling good or great products, and I don't see why now is not at least good.

If he means pricing, I think that will correct itself rapidly in the next 2-3 months. Once AMD and nVidia recoup R&D costs, a price war will begin. And for once nVidia has enough margin in GK104 to keep pace. IMHO, of course.

I just checked the invoice in my email and see that on Dec. 5th, 2010 I bought my GTX 580 for $535CAD+sh+tax. At the time, for myself, that was a lot of money to spend and I half thought I was crazy. A lot of this talk of prices being ridiculous on nVidia's and ATi's new cards was kind of going over my head over the last few days. However, in retrospect I am getting your guys' points. If I wanted to upgrade now, almost 1.5 years later, I would be paying close to the exact same amount of $$ / performance points as I did back then. Hell, 580's at close to $400 are still probably a smarter buy.

I really hope for anyone that wants to upgrade soon that those who are saying that this is b/c of a chip shortage or w/e are right and that the prices do come down soon.

Back