GTX 680 crashing Heaven at stock settings.

B2BigAl

2[H]4U
Got my EVGA GTX 680 signature+ today and get it installed, so I figured I'd play around with overclocking it, but first I wanted to give it a run through Heaven at stock settings. Crashed in about a minute, wtf? Just out of curiosity I bumped up the power to +130% (highest it would allow, my Galaxy I had before allowed up to 132%) and bumped the core up +30, and as I expected, Heaven hard locked almost immediately. I'm using the newest beta drivers from nvidia, since displayport didn't work with my monitor on prior drivers. My overclocks on my Galaxy GTX 680 weren't spectacular either, I could only get +75 on the core before it would crash Heaven as well. At least it worked though.

I tried the other 8+8 pin power lead off my PSU, just to make sure that wasn't an issue, and it wasn't. Monitored my voltages and they appear to be within spec, no drastic fluctuations. I was running two 6970's on there before, so power shouldn't be an issue. Case is open and it's nice and cool in here, so heat isn't the problem. Before I send this thing back, does anyone know if there are any issues with Heaven or some setting somewhere I need to change? I seem to remember reading a post about having to turn off some setting in NVCP or something like that, but I don't really remember now.

Try the 301.24 drivers (non beta!). I also can't get +100mhz GPU on my EVGA SC. Goes to about +350 RAM.

Don't forget that RAM overclock also gives performance boost so even though you can't overclock the core much, you can still get more perf.

Well, the problem is that it crashes at STOCK settings. Which, given that the card is factory overclocked, stock isn't really stock per se. I've been going back and forth with EVGA support, I think they're just going to send me a new one.

Just wanted to give evga props for taking care of the situation. They're going to cross ship me a new card and pay shipping both ways. Still sucks my card is defective, but at least they takin care of it the right way.

Glad they took care of it since the card is definitely defective if it cannot finish a Heaven run. Did you try any other benches like 3DMark11? Or maybe an intensive game?

One poster claimed their Signature card boosted to 1200 stock. Surely they must be doing some sort of light binning of these chips for the 1086/1150 cards, because they most definitely do not all make even 1150 MHz, much less 1200 MHz. The model without the back plate shows up tomorrow for me. Man I hope they're not just throwing chips on there randomly with the 680 yield challenges on these SC cards ...

One poster claimed their Signature card boosted to 1200 stock. Surely they must be doing some sort of light binning of these chips for the 1086/1150 cards, because they most definitely do not all make even 1150 MHz, much less 1200 MHz. The model without the back plate shows up tomorrow for me. Man I hope they're not just throwing chips on there randomly with the 680 yield challenges on these SC cards ...

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. I paid a decent premium to get what I figured was a cherry picked card, I hope they aren't just slapping them together and hoping for the best.

@Capn - No, I didn't try anything else strenuous on the card. I've been playing Fable with it this week while I'm waiting on my replacement, but that game isn't taxing at all.

The EVGA sig uses 5 phase power and AFAIK the 680 will boost according to thermals not just a BIOS setting. If you can keep the GPU cooler (after market cooler or water block) the 680 will automatically boost to higher clocks (1200mhz and above).

Back