GTX 670 Waterblock (Full or Universal Blocks)

njenabnit

Limp Gawd
I know that the 670's were just released, but does anybody have any experience with mounting a waterblock to these cards? It is my understanding that the Gigabyte card is on the 680 PCB and will support some 680 full blocks. I also understand that the gigabyte card has a separate VRM heatsink that you can keep on to mount a universal block to. I have a swiftech mcw60 that I plan on mounting to this card once I can sell of my 560ti and my 6950.

Has anyone else tried any water cooling solutions for a 670?

What you said in your main paragraph is basically where the issue stands at this point. Blocks for ref 670s should start appearing fairly soon, though.

Yep, EK's just says they have something in the works for a full cover block. I should have my 670 on order within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to try and slap my mcw60 on there when I get it. I'll keep this thread up to date when that happens.

Don't buy EK waterblocks. Customer service is crap.

Heat Killer P/N GV-N6700C-2GD Rev 1.0

Fits the Gigabyte GTX670.

554468_380894651947170_175377672498870_994961_661191651_n.jpg

564163_380894695280499_175377672498870_994962_814496542_n.jpg

555343_380894745280494_175377672498870_994963_1324596786_n.jpg

Interesting, the waterblock says 680.

Looks like Gigabyte is using the 680 reference board for their 670s, so as long as the block doesn't cover the second PCI-E power connector, it should work.

I think I saw Gabe from Swiftech say that "most" or "many" of the 670s with 680 PCBs will accept 680 blocks. He did say that the ASUS DirectCu II or whatever it's called will NOT accept a 680 block, though.

interesting! thanks for the heads up. I also saw where the EVGA 670 FTW is another full length card, so I would guess that a 680 block would work for it (although that is only a guess)

works a treat :)

IMG_1541.JPG

MSI GTX 670 oc
home made VRM & Choke block with alpha cool blocks
Card @ 1340mhz boost - 7400mhz ram
Temps on card are 6-7 degs above the water temp which is 25- 30 degs

IvyBridge i5 3570k modded with Arctic Silver 5 - 4.6ghz @ 59 Degs C (thanks intel for using chewing gum on my processor)
IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

15 deg drop in temp from the chewing gum effort from Intel

Last edited:
Hamps80 any other photos?

Temp improvements?

Card operate faster with water cooling?

Shim/spacer needed with universal blocks for gtx 670?

ye the chokes capacitors and vrms all cooled as they were getting VERY hot with a 120 fan under it
just just a 3mm steel plate hack sawed to size 2x 8mm spindles (from a double glazing door handle 2 counter sunk bolts through the center to keep them together then AS5 to the steel plate with a water block on top. It dosent even get warm to the touch

not pulling it out again m8 lol

IMG_1538.JPG

the temps are ace m8
not bothered how much i clock it as i know its all cool the driver will just stop responding over 1350mhz
think i just got lucky with me chip :)

no shim spacer required
had to tape up the 6pin connector and the fan connector

Last edited:
oh and almost any grfx card can run faster with watercooling the heat is the factor you have to get rid of for more speed

ye the chokes capacitors and vrms all cooled as they were getting VERY hot with a 120 fan under it
just just a 3mm steel plate hack sawed to size 2x 8mm spindles (from a double glazing door handle 2 counter sunk bolts through the center to keep them together then AS5 to the steel plate with a water block on top. It dosent even get warm to the touch

Never seen a block directly placed on chokes. :D

Aluminum or preferably copper would both work much better than steel.

Do your VRMs have direct contact with your steel plate? VRMs need direct contact with block for proper cooling.

Last edited:
no shim spacer required

Looks like it might possibly need one on the gpu die.

Could you post some temperature screen shots?

What is your highest temp under load when running MSI kombuster?

I haven't done full load temp testing yet, but I mounted a Swfitech MCW82 GPU block on a reference EVGA GTX 670 using the Swiftech G80 holdown plate/mounting equipement. The holes lined up with this plate. I understand the G80 holes are 58.4mm apart. From a review of the EVGA GTX 670 OC (I believe stlil a reference board) by Legit reviews, they say:

"We used a pair of dial calipers and found the mounting holes around the GPU are spaced 58mm apart in case you are curious about mounting a water block or a third party GPU cooler."

The GPU die in my case was raised slightly above the metal frame around the core, and so the block contacts the die. (This is different I believe than current AMD cards where the die is recessed slightly below the surround frame).

I'll do some load testing to see if it is making proper contact. It was idling at 27C.

I haven't done full load temp testing yet, but I mounted a Swfitech MCW82 GPU block on a reference EVGA GTX 670 using the Swiftech G80 holdown plate/mounting equipement. The holes lined up with this plate. I understand the G80 holes are 58.4mm apart. From a review of the EVGA GTX 670 OC (I believe stlil a reference board) by Legit reviews, they say:

"We used a pair of dial calipers and found the mounting holes around the GPU are spaced 58mm apart in case you are curious about mounting a water block or a third party GPU cooler."

The GPU die in my case was raised slightly above the metal frame around the core, and so the block contacts the die. (This is different I believe than current AMD cards where the die is recessed slightly below the surround frame).

I'll do some load testing to see if it is making proper contact. It was idling at 27C.

How is the card running? I contacted Swiftech and Stephen said that the G80 kit is what should be used for the GTX 670s.

The card seems to be running fine. It was idling at 27c with an i5-750 @4ghz in the same loop idling at 32c. At load using furmark, it got up to about 39C after 10-15 minutes.

In terms of overclocking, I have a reference EVGA GTX 670, and it isn't terrible, but not great. It seems to boost up to 1200mhz stable, anything more than that and Heaven and 3dmark crash.

For reference, I have a mcp35x pump, 2 x mcw320 rads and 1 x mcw220 rad. A bit overkill, but the fans on them are kept at very slow speed.

I haven't had much time to fully test it out, but hope to report back.

The card seems to be running fine. It was idling at 27c with an i5-750 @4ghz in the same loop idling at 32c. At load using furmark, it got up to about 39C after 10-15 minutes.

In terms of overclocking, I have a reference EVGA GTX 670, and it isn't terrible, but not great. It seems to boost up to 1200mhz stable, anything more than that and Heaven and 3dmark crash.

For reference, I have a mcp35x pump, 2 x mcw320 rads and 1 x mcw220 rad. A bit overkill, but the fans on them are kept at very slow speed.

I haven't had much time to fully test it out, but hope to report back.

How are you cooling the VRMs and memory?

I am cooling the VRMs and ram by air.

The VRMs had a separate heatsink that was getting air from the main blower, and so I left it on and hope I have enough airflow going to it.

The ram was not being cooled by anything. The chips on the bottom of the card may have received some airflow from the stock cooler, but did not touch the heatsink for the GPU. There are chips on the top as well with no stock cooling to begin with.

Back