GTX 670 still good?

newbs

Gawd
Hello I am going to setup a steam box and wondering if a gtx 670 is still any good for gaming at 1080P ?

Yes, depending on the games you want to play, and the settings you prefer to use with those games. (I played Shadows of Mordor on a 670, for example, and it was a good gaming experience.) Also depending on the price you pay for the card.$125 to $140 would seem like a reasonable price for a used 670.

It's just some of the parts I have around and I thought the power consumption was lower then the 680's I have. I've been out of gaming for awhile, my gaming machine still uses sli titans. Just not sure how much muscle a steam box needs. I want decent performance and low power consumption, so do I go dual or quad core with without hyper threading. I only wish it did not need a 500gb drive so I could use a spare ssd.

Absolutely! I recently upgraded from a EVGA GTX 670 FTW but it was more a "scratch the upgrade itch" thing than a need. I'm at 1080 and it would play every game on the market right now except for only a few at max settings and even in those I was able to get damn near to max and still enjoy frame rates in the upper 40's. Now this was last winter and I never did play any games from this current generation that seem to use a lot of VRAM but I still feel it would be a plenty capable GPU for all but a handful of games.

If you already own the card there is no reason not to try it and upgrade later if it's not working for you.

Back