GTX 670 SLI vs Radeon 7950 CFX?

Angry

Limp Gawd
Pretty dead set on a 2560x1440 27" monitor.
And Im wanting to make the jump to SLI or CFX while I can.
Games I play:
GTAIV
Skyrim
Crysis 3 (when it releases, playing the beta now...)
Borderlands 2
Some BF3....
Deus Ex: Human Rev.

Been debating between GTX 670 SLI and Radeon 7950 CFX for quiet some time.

And yes,I will be swapping out the Core i3 2100 in my sig for a 2500k, or 2600k.

I'd go with the GTX 670s, unless AMD pulls a miracle with their memory rewrite on their 13 series drivers you're going to be dealing with a lot of Bullshit getting smooth gameplay.

I'm on a single screen with CFX 7970s.

As far as performance goes when overclocked on air I could hardly tell the difference between the two setups. They trade blows depending on the game. Although, its been a few months since I last tried kepler cards and amd has seen a bit of a performance boost since. If you use good cooling you can also clock the 7950s much higher. On air the GTX670s will generally run cooler though. Well, quieter most importantly.

One game in your list that I feel that I should warn you about is GTA4. I have never had that game run well with AMD cards. I've been told that its a due to optimizations for older versions of the game and that rolling back to an older version of the game or renaming the exe might help. On the other hand GTA4 seems to be one of the games that many kepler owners have performance issues with, I was one of them. It always ran great with my fermi cards and even my GTX280.

I'd go with the GTX 670s, unless AMD pulls a miracle with their memory rewrite on their 13 series drivers you're going to be dealing with a lot of Bullshit getting smooth gameplay.

I'm on a single screen with CFX 7970s.

I don't know. My 7950s have been a smoother experience than my GTX670s were so far. Kepler drivers were a clusterfuck.

SLI delivers a smoother experience so that's what I would go with. get your cpu upgrade taken care of first though.

I think what I will do is pick up a pair of 670s and if Im not happy with them Ill sell/trade for 7950s.

Sound really isnt an issue for me as I game with headphones. And the three other rigs in my sig are right next to me as well.

My goal is:
1440p monitor
2x 670s
2500k/2600k

And whatever else I can squeeze in for under $1500 shipped.

It looks like AMD or Nvidia work better and worse then the other. hehe

I would just do some research and pick because you probably cant go wrong with either setup.

I do have a question as to why you are going for a 2500K rather than a 3570K?

Reason for that is it seems to be a hit or miss on whether the P67a-gd65 will work and overclock with Ivy.

Ive had a 2600k in this board before and know that it works well with sandy. That and used 2500k/2600ks are pretty decent $$$.

Reason for that is it seems to be a hit or miss on whether the P67a-gd65 will work and overclock with Ivy.

Ive had a 2600k in this board before and know that it works well with sandy. That and used 2500k/2600ks are pretty decent $$$.

Ahh. Its all good since you can get almost the same performance as the 3570K, just a really small power savings.

Back