GTX 670 HDMI Output Issue.

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
Having a weird issue. My 670 loses my TV that's hooked up via HDMI when the TV is shut off. When I turn the TV back on, it will not display anything until I unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in again. After I do that, the card recognizes the TV just fine and retains the resolution and all other settings from before.

I have two regular monitors hooked up as well on the DVI outputs. No issues there.

My old setup with a GTX 460 running the two monitors and a 8600GT running the TV never had this issue. The only thing that changed was the 670 replacing the two older video cards.

Anyone else having issues with HDMI output?

Last edited:
Found a post on the Nvidia forums where someone was having the same issue. Looks like it's not just me.

May or may not be the card, when you're dealing with HDMI, you have HDCP to deal with and the handshake issues. Some devices simply drop the signal when the handshake is broken and won't re-establish the connection until the device is reset or it sees a new connection. MIght be the video card, might be your TV.

May or may not be the card, when you're dealing with HDMI, you have HDCP to deal with and the handshake issues. Some devices simply drop the signal when the handshake is broken and won't re-establish the connection until the device is reset or it sees a new connection. MIght be the video card, might be your TV.

Was leaning towards the card. Never had this issue when the 8600GT was driving the TV. I could always put the 8600GT back in and run two cards again.

Ya know, I had a 4890 do this every now and then for the entire time I owned it. it usually happened when it was turning the monitor back on. The screen would suddenly pixelate out and randomly change between green and purple. As soon as i reseated the cable, it was fine. this was on DVI mind you, so there was no HDCP. Never figured out what was actually causing the problem, and it didn't happen often enough to really annoy me that much. Now i have a 670, and so far so good :D

Noooo, don't tell me this....

My plan is to replace my 580 with a 670 because I have 2 LCD monitors on the DVI outputs and an LCD TV on the mini-HDMI for my simrig.
Since the 580 doesn't allow for 3 monitors to be connected at the same time, I have to unplug one of my DVI monitors to allow the TV to work.
I'm lazy and I don't want to unplug/plug the connections all the time, so when I heard that the 600 series cards could do 4 monitors at the same time, I was like ... YEAH !!!!
But now I have that doubt in my head...AAARRHHH What do I do ?

If it's doing it a lot, I would RMA it. And by a lot, I would say more than once per week. The issue I had with my 4890 happened once every 2 months or so, 10 times a year tops.

The only other thing I could suggest is getting some adapters, and putting one monitor on HDMI, and the TV on DVI, and see if the issue goes away.

Noooo, don't tell me this....

My plan is to replace my 580 with a 670 because I have 2 LCD monitors on the DVI outputs and an LCD TV on the mini-HDMI for my simrig.
Since the 580 doesn't allow for 3 monitors to be connected at the same time, I have to unplug one of my DVI monitors to allow the TV to work.
I'm lazy and I don't want to unplug/plug the connections all the time, so when I heard that the 600 series cards could do 4 monitors at the same time, I was like ... YEAH !!!!
But now I have that doubt in my head...AAARRHHH What do I do ?

I wouldn't let this deter you from purchasing the GTX 670.

It hasn't worked like you'd expect once, it has only failed to bring up the TV properly. Hoping it's a driver bug...the card is great otherwise.

When I turn the TV on, both monitors go blank for a second while the card detects everything. Then the TV shows up like this in the control panel:

HDMIIssue.png

The TV doesn't get a signal and I can't change the resolution to anything else until I unplug the HDMI cable, then plug it back in again. After I do that, it sees it as a Panasonic TV and everything works perfectly (It pulls it up with the proper resolution that I had set before). I'll play around with putting one of the monitors on the HDMI port, I should have the adapters laying around somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with my Panasonic tv as well. I have noticed that when the connection loss occurs it's because its driver is somehow changing from "generic pnp" to generic non-pnp". I have also noticed that this is now happening if I go back to previous drivers that I know worked fine -I've been using it for years- which leads me to believe that it's something coming in from nv update causing the issue

Edit- Happens with both dvi to hdmi and straight hdmi cables for me

Really? This is looking bad for me.
Like I said, the only reason I want to switch my 580 for a 670 is so I would no longer have to unplug a DVI monitor when I want to use my HDMI tv. But if this is the case, I'm not going to waste my money on a 670 which won't fix my problem, er, laziness.
Granted I'm not using a Panasonic tv, mine is an Insignia (Best Buy / Futureshop house brand), so maybe there is hope...

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with my Panasonic tv as well. I have noticed that when the connection loss occurs it's because its driver is somehow changing from "generic pnp" to generic non-pnp". I have also noticed that this is now happening if I go back to previous drivers that I know worked fine -I've been using it for years- which leads me to believe that it's something coming in from nv update causing the issue

Edit- Happens with both dvi to hdmi and straight hdmi cables for me

I was already using the latest driver with my GTX 460 / 8600GT combo and it didn't have the issue. 6xx series specific then.

The guy on the Nvidia forum with this issue went through the trouble of switching from his 680 to a 670 and swapped out his motherboard and still has the same problem.

oh no, I'm running a pair of 580s; not sure how things are or work with the 6xx series. But my TV has always worked without any problems using a dvi to hdmi cable up until very recently. I just can't pinpoint the exact issue.
I reinstalled the 301.42 driver today, tv was identified as panasonic and worked. Then nvidia update downloaded something and my screens flashed. When they came back my tv was generic with a non-pnp driver and not working. I can still create a custom resolution and it seems to work, but then it still sees it as a pc monitor which means there is no sound.

My 670 is in my HTPC and never has a problem coming back with the HDMI connection. The display/receiver get turned off and on again several times a day.

I'm not experiencing this issue with my Asus TOP 670. I run my TV to an AV Receiver to do source switching and the AV Receiver is what actually gets plugged into the 670, I also have a DVI monitor hooked up and have shortcuts on the desktop to switch the output between the two (I only use the HDMI TV connection to do some gaming).

When I set it up the first time I plugged the HDMI cable in with the computer off and turned it on the computer for some reason didn't detect the video card at all and the Nvidia driver threw some prompt about no supported hardware detected. So, I did what any self respecting person would do that builds their own computers and runs into this kind of problem . . . I turned it off and turned it back on again.

This time it booted up with no problem and I haven't had any issues since. I'm able to switch between the two sources using my shortcuts, if I'm displaying on the DVI monitor I can turn my home theater system on and off with no ill effects. The only combination I haven't thought to try is to have the PC displaying on the TV and then turn my home theater system off in that state. On my 460 SLI setup I believe it automatically just went back to displaying on the DVI monitor, but I honestly can't remember. I'll need to try that on the 670.

So, I'm leaning toward some other issue affecting people experiencing this - but maybe I'm just lucky.

Well, I'm happy that there are people who are having good experiences with this. Good news, thanks for sharing.

So was this issue ever resolved?

I bought an EVGA 670 FTW, and am having the exact same issues with the non-pnp display. The EVGA 560 448 and gt240 combo I was running previously to get 4 outputs never had any issues (same drivers). I am also running a Panasonic TV, so I wonder if it's a combination of the 670 with panasonic tvs?

I'm currently exchanging the card for a new one just to try my luck, but I fear I'm going to have the same problem even with the newer card.

Did you guys just live with it? Having to unplug and replug the HDMI cable (or turn on the tv first, then reboot) is a PITA. I plan on replacing the TV later this year, so hopefully if the new card doesn't fix it, then the new tv will.

If you guys have any better suggestions to try, i'm all ears! (err...eyes?!) Thanks!

Well, just an update for whoever else finds this thread.

Replacement video card functions exactly the same. So it's something with the way the card detects the connections. Hopefully it's an isolated EVGA > Panasonic TV relationship fail. When I replace the tv i'll post another update if I can remember to.

Having the same issue with my new MSI GTX 670. Got a 2 year old Panasonic 1080p 3D TV hooked up with an HDMI cable and a U2711HM monitor via DVI. The Nvidia control panel sees the TV but outputs nothing to it. Saw an image on it for 1 or 2 seconds when I jumped into the living room, but since then nothing. Was trying the big picture mode on Steam.

Tried reinstalling drivers, updating the drivers, unplugging all devices and replugging them, made TV primary display, mirrored and extended with no avail.

Hopefully someone has had better luck or possibly some answers. Sorry for bumping this old thread.

Going to bump this one more time if anyone has found a resolution. Have a 42" Panasonic VIERA IPS monitor which has the same issue with my new Gigabyte 670 card. Plugging the cable back in works just fine, but if you turn off the TV then turn it back it comes as a black screen with 'generic non-pnp' display in control panel.

It might be an issue with the TV being initialized at 120hz (or maybe there is no 120hz and its just interpolated) OR the TV doesn't send the EDID from cold boot across HDMI link.

Either way it seems pretty ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed.

I have this issue. I have a GTX670 (ASUS mobo and Windows 7) running to my Yamaha and then to my Toshiba. I have my PC set to turn off the display after 30min. When this happens, and my receiver is still on, the TV still gets a signal from the receiver which is the onscreen menu.

"Usually" but not always, I can't get a signal from the video card when I try to "wake it up." I just restart the PC instead of removing the HDMI cable.

I had a GTX570 before with the exact same issue. If I had to guess it has something to do with windows 7 and is not a hardware issue.

Is everyone running windows 7 who has this issue?

I have a 32 Inch Sharp 1080p TV that I use as my main monitor. I used to see this occasionally with my GTX 460 and 570s in the past. I would just unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable on the TV (in my setup it's easily accessible enough) and it would work again.

I had needed more inputs and bought a Kinivo 301BN HDMI splitter and noticed that I've never had the problem again. I can't guarantee this would work for others, but for me it seemed to. I only assume that the splitter itself appears to properly detect the sleep and wake-up signals of the PC in a way my particular TV seems to like. That particular splitter will even automatically switch to whatever input 'just turned on' which is nice also.

I'd say given the low price of this type of splitter (I got mine for $30), it may be worthwhile to try.

~Andrew

I'm having the same exact issue with my EVGA GTX680 and Panasonic Viera 42" IPS. I've got a hackintosh dual booting Windows 8 and OSX 10.8.2. The issue happens in either OS. Some times I have to unplug it 2 or 3 times to get it to recognize again. Hope someone finds a fix, it's pretty annoying...

i2500k
Asrock p67 extreme4 gen3
GTX680

Strange. Never had this issue with my 680. I've got a Haier 46" LED and the 32 in Panasonic downstairs and both have output video and audio just fine. Have you guys chose the TV/HDMI as default audio in playback devices?

do what i did, both of my 560ti's mini-hdmi units inside of the card broke so i bought a dvi to hdmi cable, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001OHH5G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03

after doing alot of research, alot of people are saying that the connection between your video card and your tv or monitor work much better this way.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the same problem using a Gigabyte 670 and Panasonic 32" TV. It's weird though because this has never happened to me with an AMD card. I had 6970, 7950, 7970, no problems at all. But with my 550ti and 670 I have this problem and its really annoying. Might go back to AMD. Or just get a new TV. They both cost about the same :(

Back