GTX 670 FTW- bad card?

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
my decades of GPU experience tells me I probably already know the answer to this but here goes.

bought a used 670 today (thru Ebay but from a local shop electronics recycler). they claim in the listing they tested it. I get it installed in a system and it artifacts and freezes as soon as I try to do anything 3D, mostly works fine on the desktop but it did artifact once while logging into Windows. no overclock.

specs:
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, came with latest firmware
Nvidia driver 457.30
ASUS P8P67 v3.1with latest UEFI
i5 2500
16GB DDR3
Intel SSD
Windows 10 20H2 with all updates, UEFI mode

before I spend another 2 hours on the bus returning this tomorrow, any chance this is resulting from using drivers that are "too new" with a card that's "too old"? probably not? I know it's probably just a dying card but I thought I'd ask as it would not exactly be out of character for NV to break old cards with new driver and OS. Another long shot, any possibility crappy UEFI support on Sandy Bridge could be an issue? I'm assuming the answer to that is also "no" because then it would just hang and not artifact. thanks for humoring me.

Attachments

• 20201110_225917.jpg
    20201110_225917.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201110_232743.jpg
    20201110_232743.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201110_233653.jpg
    20201110_233653.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Get the right drivers from Nvidia; not sure if that one is still supported. If that doesn't work, I might have a 970 sitting around here, depending on what your budget is .

Get the right drivers from Nvidia; not sure if that one is still supported. If that doesn't work, I might have a 970 sitting around here, depending on what your budget is .
These were the drivers that came up when I selected GTX 670 on NVs driver page. I'll find some older drivers too and see what happens, but I'm really thinking this looks like bad VRAM.

Id love a 970 but my budget is only $50 (this is for a secondary system) and I wouldn't want to shortchange you!

it's definitely bad memory as I thought. Without touching the core clock, the more I lower the mem clock the longer I can get it to loop Heaven but it always artifacts eventually. back to the seller it goes. They had two of these for sale, I guess the question is do I ask for an exchange and roll the dice on the other card, or just get my money back. Augh, the used GPU market suxx right now. A year ago Craigslist was awash with cheap cards.

Last edited:
its a bad card. I have a 670 in a older system and its still chugging along as an internet box for the wife and the latest drivers still work.

Back