GTX 590 or wait? Or find a temp.

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
Consider that I could get either a GTX 590 for the same price as a 7970, but the 590 would be slightly used. Which would be a better idea? I don't care about temp/noise. I am only using one monitor at the moment.

My real question comes into what happens in the future. If i plan on doing a 3 monitor display, does the 590 support that?

Or my other option (which isn't looking too promising) is just wait for Keppler. The only thing pushing me away is all the bad news about their production lines. I feel like we might be waiting a lot longer than the end of the month.

116 views and nothing? Is the $550 worth it? I feel like the power of the 2 gpu's would be close to the performance of the next gen. any other thoughts?

GTX 590 is only a 1.5GB / GPU card. If you plan on going tri-monitor gaming at high quality and resolution settings, you will see massive gains from a 7970 over a GTX 590

right but doesn't the computer still technically use all 3gb because it is being streamed through the same pci-e port?

I am still bouncing around my options, but I would like to go green this time around. Didn't have great luck with my 7950. And under your logic, isn't keppler rumored to only start with a 2gb model? Not to mention the inevitable $600 price tag.

right but doesn't the computer still technically use all 3gb because it is being streamed through the same pci-e port?

I am still bouncing around my options, but I would like to go green this time around. Didn't have great luck with my 7950. And under your logic, isn't keppler rumored to only start with a 2gb model? Not to mention the inevitable $600 price tag.

It's still only 1.5GB effective vram. Same as using 2x GTX 580 1.5GB in SLI.

It's still only 1.5GB effective vram. Same as using 2x GTX 580 1.5GB in SLI.

This is true. And the GTX580's would beat the gtx590. The cores on the 590 dont have all of their cuda cores and they are also downclocked to stay within spec of what a 580 is supposed to draw (power wise), why are we even discussing the possibilities of buying a card atm. You should consider waiting for kepler, to not just wait and see if you want to get one, but for ALL the other prices to drop. Then pull the trigger on a 580 that will be worth maybe 350$, of a pair of 7970s each worth 400. Which, either option, would stomp the 590.

It's a piece of shit overpriced failure of a card. So no, don't get one, especially used without a serious warranty. I got two 560 2gb regulars for $300 to hold me over until things settle down with the new cards.

I would play the waiting game like most of us. You'll either save money on current gen cards or spend close to what you're thinking about on the 590 and get a much better card.

Be patient my friend, don't pull the trigger just yet.

bah i guess you guys are right. Waiting is tough. I am just worried that we won't see them this month.

Personally I would get a 7970 over a 590 if the prices were the same.

But yeah, I would wait a couple weeks.

I would get the fastest 1 gpu solution, the 7970.

- more stable min framerates
- less heat
- less power consumption
- 3 month old 28 nm card vs 1 year old 40nm card
at the same price.. its a no brainer for me. but maybe im wrong, then sorry..

It's hard for me to want to go red again. I have been out of the game for a while and then built the machine I am on now. I bought a 7950 that wasn't even stable at stock clocks. I am not saying that AMD is garbage by any means, but after being out of it for a while, that was a terrible first impression.

I am aware there are plenty of people having good luck with their 7970s, but I also read a lot of negatives as well. I would like to see see Nvidia's next solution, and how they tackle their surround display setup.

also you could wait for like 3-4 weeks to see what nvidia brings.
rumors say there will be a gtx 680, based on GK104.
now that I see that you prefer nvidia, i would definitely wait!

If you really want a dual GPU card right now I'd suggest the 6990 over a 590.

I would stay away from a gtx590 or make sure you have a good warranty. They didn't have good cooling and the VRMs would run hot. http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/how-serious-are-the-nvidia-gtx-590-problems/

I thought they where supposed to update the card to a better design but I don't think they ever fixed it. http://www.geeks3d.com/20110516/new-gtx-590-with-stronger-vrm-circuitry-will-be-released/

There was never anything actually wrong with it, just people oc'ing too high with protections disabled. However, it was never and isn't a strong oc'er, and the performance leaves a lot to be desired at stock clocks compared to two GTX 570 in SLI. Regardless, with Kepler around two weeks away or less, I'm unsure why one would be looking to buy a solution that expensive right now.

Never use two GPU's when one can get the job done.

Yup, unless you're a fanboy, dealing with SLI/CF issues are just not worth it (done both) when a single higher end GPU (from whatever corporation) can do the job.

There was never anything actually wrong with it, just people oc'ing too high with protections disabled. However, it was never and isn't a strong oc'er, and the performance leaves a lot to be desired at stock clocks compared to two GTX 570 in SLI. Regardless, with Kepler around two weeks away or less, I'm unsure why one would be looking to buy a solution that expensive right now.
There is something wrong with it. It does not have proper vrm cooling and runs too hot. It could affect the life of the card running that hot. Look at the links I posted with the thermal imagery.
You are not being honest because you are a big fan of nvidia. You buy amd cards just to say they didn't work right and keep returning them.
Nividia makes some nice cards but gtx590 is not one of them. 580 and 560ti are good cards I would recommend.

I think the GTX 680 will have similar performance (and price) to the 590

I have the GTX 590 and its treated me very well. Zero problems with it and it utterly destroys any game I throw at it at 1080p. At stock clocks the GTX 590 will outperform the HD 7970 by about 30%, but once they're both overclocked (albeit the GTX 590 with a minor OC) then the gap shrinks to about 10-15%.

I don't really plan to OC anything, but there is a slim chance i could do a 3 monitor setup.

3 monitors then do amd

What happens when a game has no sli support or problems. Good bye 3 screens. Amd just hotkey to 1 gpu. 2 gpus means 2 times the problems. Amd has 3 gigs now and with games that use alot aa and you are using 3 screens you will see it using over 2 gigs. Skyrim with ugrids at 7 and hd texs with a crap load of other mods 60fps solid = over 2.9 gigs solid. 2 gigs will not cut it. Not even close

I dont know much about video cards but ive heard the 590 has had a few problems.. bad enough i wouldnt even consider buying it

Yup, unless you're a fanboy, dealing with SLI/CF issues are just not worth it (done both) when a single higher end GPU (from whatever corporation) can do the job.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, okay. Except one GPU can't always "do the job" as well as we would like.

Calling anyone who uses multi-GPU a fanboy is just assinine. Not everyone has issues with it, either.

Back