GTX 580 - when will it be in our hands?

If the soft-launch is truly in a week or two, then judging by history, we might see some consumer cards in under a month. Who knows though

lol i dont have shuttles anymore but thats beside the point... ;)

Im hoping December/Jan area?

You give up too quick. Order one of the first few thousand online. Sure it may be sold out but if you really try, you never know.

Oh and since you didn't post anything about it, the rumored release is next Tuesday. 11/9/2010

well this is by all accounts a limited launch. I have heard by christmas and I have heard January for real supply. how true this is............

Anybody seen this?

I laughed out allowed when I read it. If that release date holds true, I will be shocked.

Last edited:
im going to bet its a soft launch to scare people away from pre-ordering the HD6970. and we wont see a card in consumer hands til probably early December at best. maybe we will see them release a couple thousand cards before that if it actually beats the 6970 so nvidia can try to tote the bragging rights saying they have the fasted single gpu card on the market, even though you cant buy it.

also not surprising the estimated MSRP is 500 dollars again.. so if thats the case the 6970's probably going to be in the mid 300 dollars range forcing nvidia to price drop like a mofo to compete.

If the launch is similar to the GTX 480 i am more than happy. The card was available 2 weeks after the launch reviews.

also not surprising the estimated MSRP is 500 dollars again.. so if thats the case the 6970's probably going to be in the mid 300 dollars range forcing nvidia to price drop like a mofo to compete.

Yeah, I'm thinking the 6970 will be cheaper too, specifically since it's the replacement for the 5870. If it sells for $400 and possibly beats the 580......I'm not sure what Nvidia will do.

Shocking would be this not being a paper launch.

That's probably all it is. Nvidia being quiet on this makes me skeptical though.

Here's fudzilla's take:

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20709-geforce-gtx-580-has-a-better-cooler

Edit: Now that I think about it, why am I taking Fudzilla seriously?

the only thing I’m waiting right now.
and that 8th should be a paper one. I mean &#8220;Nvidia skips the paper launch party and goes directly to shelves&#8221; <<< does this even sound right?

and that 8th should be a paper one. I mean “Nvidia skips the paper launch party and goes directly to shelves” <<< does this even sound right?

LOL. Depends on how desperate Nvidia has become. But, seriously, why have none of the major review sites even commented on this? Usually, they'd let us know they got the cards. There aren't any pictures or anything.

Sadly I am not in the market for a $500 gpu. However, I want to know when the GTX 570 and GTX 560 will be released. They keep saying it will probably be before the end of the year, I guess I am just getting impatient for them LOL. I would love to get a new GPU for Christmas and this would be the easiest time for me to get one financialy.

Well the wait is killing me... my PC is down finally died, and I want to build a new one, but without knowing what this 580 GTX is coming out and the 69xx series its frustrating at best. Why can't they stop messing around and just put them out already:)

Anybody seen this?

I laughed out allowed when I read it. If that release date holds true, I will be shocked.

it should, hell even Kyle had to do some rescheduling. we may not be able to buy the cards for a couple of months but the reviews should be out.

Yeah, I'm thinking the 6970 will be cheaper too, specifically since it's the replacement for the 5870. If it sells for $400 and possibly beats the 580......I'm not sure what Nvidia will do.

That's probably all it is. Nvidia being quiet on this makes me skeptical though.

Here's fudzilla's take:

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20709-geforce-gtx-580-has-a-better-cooler

Edit: Now that I think about it, why am I taking Fudzilla seriously?
because when he and Charlie both agree on the date there is probably a reason. http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/10/30/nvidia-paper-launch-gtx580-week/

Of course they could not be more different in tone. but they both point the date being around the beginning of the second week of November.

Though I question the objectivity of his tone, I think what Charlie is stating sounds more accurate. That this will be a paper-launch, and the actual product won't appear until later this year.

but they both point the date being around the beginning of the second week of November.

Well, Charlie seems to indicate that it's a paper-launch, whereas Fud appears to support the claim that the actual product will hit retail.

A more reliable source Nordic hardware is posting that the card will be available for sale and nvidia themselves confirmed it in london today. They didn't say if large numbers will be available at launch or after but they did ship out cards to reviewers and AIBs already. I guess the only thing keeping us from the card right now is the NDA which has done little to keep this card private

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/41592-geforce-gtx-580-launches-in-a-week.html

Looks like 11/9/10 it is!

Though I question the objectivity of his tone, I think what Charlie is stating sounds more accurate. That this will be a paper-launch, and the actual product won't appear until later this year.

Well, Charlie seems to indicate that it's a paper-launch, whereas Fud appears to support the claim that the actual product will hit retail.

I hate to say (And I hate having to say this every fucking time I refer to the bastard) but charlie is almost surely right here. they will probably have a few cards out but no stock for quite a while. Given the way this took everyone by surprise, the way they could move the launch up a couple of weeks, and so on.

I don't know either way, but I wonder why anyone would assume this is a paper launch. Its just a revision of a GF100, its not a new process or a new anything to issues in manufacturing. They've been making GF100s for awhile without issue, why would GF110 be all of a sudden impossible to manufacture?

I don't know either way, but I wonder why anyone would assume this is a paper launch. Its just a revision of a GF100, its not a new process or a new anything to issues in manufacturing. They've been making GF100s for awhile without issue, why would GF110 be all of a sudden impossible to manufacture?

^^^ Valid points, not to mention that nvidia hid GF110 right under everyones noses for months. I mean this thing wasn't locked in anyone's sights. Who'se to say that they haven't had thousands manufactured over a month ago. Boxes and packaging aren't that hard to come by. Also like you said, it isn't a new anything. Even the cooler is simple enough. Nordic Hardware a reliable source says nvidia confirmed today in London release 11/9/2010 and stated with large quantities. They didn't say large quantities at launch or after but they did say large quantities. They also said they shipped the cards already and reviewers and AIB have them.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/41592-geforce-gtx-580-launches-in-a-week.html

LLLLlllets get ready 2 Rumbleeee!!!

That's another blog focusing on rumors. Do you have any info on the London announcement?

And they don't specify exact quantities.

Nothing since it happened today, however nowhere in that article do they say rumor has it that nvidia had a last minute press announcement. They say it happened so I think this is not a rumor simply a reported fact.

The heading reads:
"NVIDIA is seriously going to fight AMD and like a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky it looks like the green camp looks to be the first to get its new high-end graphics cards out on the market. The rumored GeForce GTX 580 is now rumored to launch on November 9."

The heading reads:
"NVIDIA is seriously going to fight AMD and like a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky it looks like the green camp looks to be the first to get its new high-end graphics cards out on the market. The rumored GeForce GTX 580 is now rumored to launch on November 9."

I noticed that but the heading is in bold and then when they start talking about nvidia press conference today it is not in bold. So that's why I interpreted that way. Here is how it looks for those too lazy to click the link.

NVIDIA is seriously going to fight AMD and like a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky it looks like the green camp looks to be the first to get its new high-end graphics cards out on the market. The rumored GeForce GTX 580 is now rumored to launch on November 9.

NVIDIA called in an event in the last moment in London for a few select media where it released information on the new GF110 GPU and even send out reference cards. The information we published last week looks to match and NVIDIA has succeeded in tweaking the performance of its new GPU, together with an optimized manufacturing process and slim GPU architecture pulled down the power consumption noticeably.

^^^ Valid points, not to mention that nvidia hid GF110 right under everyones noses for months. I mean this thing wasn't locked in anyone's sights. Who'se to say that they haven't had thousands manufactured over a month ago. Boxes and packaging aren't that hard to come by. Also like you said, it isn't a new anything. Even the cooler is simple enough. Nordic Hardware a reliable source says nvidia confirmed today in London release 11/9/2010 and stated with large quantities. They didn't say large quantities at launch or after but they did say large quantities. They also said they shipped the cards already and reviewers and AIB have them.

LLLLlllets get ready 2 Rumbleeee!!!

I wouldn't say it was right under our noises. they have mention it for months. its just no one was expecting it now and its caught everyone off guard

Anybody seen this?

I was surprised to see this on NBC news actually:

"This just in, rumors within the high tech industry have surfaced, and Nvidia, a popular and well known Graphics card developer is releasing it's monstrosity of a video card, codename GTX580. The GTX580 is rumored to handle the latest generation of console ports at 200fps! Card is rumored to retail at around $550, and pretty graphics in games is just what the doctor ordered at this justifiable high price point."

- Katie Courick, NBC Bews

Seriously, I think the majority want to know when are the major price drops going to happen on current gen cards. I was hoping to see the GTX470 at $200, and GTX460 1gb at $150 by now. Also interested in the 460x2 if the price is around $350ish.

I was surprised to see this on NBC news actually:

"This just in, rumors within the high tech industry have surfaced, and Nvidia, a popular and well known Graphics card developer is releasing it's monstrosity of a video card, codename GTX580. The GTX580 is rumored to handle the latest generation of console ports at 200fps! Card is rumored to retail at around $550, and pretty graphics in games is just what the doctor ordered at this justifiable high price point."

- Katie Courick, NBC Bews

Seriously, I think the majority want to know when are the major price drops going to happen on current gen cards. I was hoping to see the GTX470 at $200, and GTX460 1gb at $150 by now. Also interested in the 460x2 if the price is around $350ish.

I wonder how much they got paid? I now NBC isn't doing well but ads for video card companies? LOL.

your not going to see those prices for a while, remember the 460GTX 1gb cost Nvidia the same to make as a 5870. but they have never been able to sell it anywhere close to that price bracket. AMD has probably recouped their cost (hopefully, I would hate to think a year at MSRP didn't make them money at it). Nvidia not so much. I don't think they will drop the prices unless AMD flat drives them there. and as they need to make money as bad or worse then Nvidia I don't see the price war getting to far out of hand. they are already loosing their ass on the 470GTX price drops.

as for the dual GF104 card I can only see it if they were going to try and use that for the high end, in other words if they use non crippled GF101 chips. I wonder if they are still considering that. For that mater I wonder if we now know why there hasn't been a non crippled GF104 based card yet. that may well end up being the 560GTX. it makes sense now that we know that the 580GTX is just a fixed 480. the 560GTX only needs to be a non crippled GF104 and it would compete with 6870. (though it would still be at a bad price disadvantage, the 6870 die is only about 75% of a GF104).

then again no one is paying for my thoughts :D

this is going to be interesting

My thoughts on the release, being pushed up so quickly:

What do I think? NVIDIA want to get in now, to show they have a better GPU to what is available *today*. In all benchmarks, it will be compared to a 5xx0 card, at best, the 68x0 release also. It will beat them all and come out on top as "the best GPU available". Where, the 69x0 gets the glory of being compared directly against the GTX580 - where if it beats it, will only give NVIDIA 2 weeks of glory, then they'll be back to sad Keanu.

just want to share the good news
it is live on newegg now with coupon and cashback about 500 dollars shipped
worked for me

Ordered 2 OCd EVGA 580s from the Egg. Next-Day shipping. Hope to see them Wednesday. Liek to see if SLI is the bomb. Then wait to get 2 6970s for some X-Fire goodness.

Back