GTX 580 to 770 worth it

sp3000

n00b
I can get a 770 for $300, but not sure if its enough of a boost from a 580 for that price. I game at 1080 mostly BF4

a big upgrade in fact. the jump from the 500 series to the 600 was big even leaving the GTX 580 at the levels of a 660 being even surpassed by a 660TI, specially when overclocked are involved, a 680 its about 35-40% more powerful than a 660TI and the GTX 770 its a re-branded 680 with higher clock and higher memory speed that can be 10-15% more powerful than a 680, so yes, you will receive a great jump in performance, and also much better smoother gaming..

A bigger upgrade would be save an extra 200 and get a 780. I went from a GTX480 to a 660ti to a 780 to a 780ti and I can tell you the upgrade from a 660ti to the 780 was huge!!! So in your case a 580 to a 780 is incredible. You'll feel like you will never have to upgrade again at least for a long time.

Well one 770 is about as fast as 2 580's in SLI. So yea its a pretty huge upgrade.

Big maxwell is meant to launch after summer or in 2015.

Saying wait for maxwell isn't really good advice at this point.

Delayed that long? Sheesh. When are the desktop cards supposed to come out with built in arm cpus? Is that considered Big maxwell? I read somewhere that these cards are supposed to come out later this year.

Yup, go for it. I went from a 660Ti to my 770 yesterday and it's like 30-40% increase in performance with higher settings.

I think it's worth it considering you'll get power saving and lower heat generation.

I can get a 770 for $300, but not sure if its enough of a boost from a 580 for that price. I game at 1080 mostly BF4

Are any of your games hurting, framerate wise? VRAM wise? If so, well, the 770 is a sizable boost, *especially* if you get a custom PCB factory OC'ed model. It all depends on whether a 40-45% jump is worth 300 bucks to you. It could be slightly higher than that with overclocks, but that isn't guaranteed, obviously. Also, you get some nifty new features with Kepler such as adaptive vsync, shadow play, driver AO, among other things. Now that certainly isn't worth 300$ but it's a nice value add if you do decide to get the 770. I use all of the above features constantly, personally.

Waiting for Maxwell is certainly another option. Personally, i've never been a fan of the waiting game because something new is always around the corner, you know? But if the current games you're playing aren't hurting, waiting for Maxwell may not be a bad move.

Back