GTX 580 SLI and uninterruptible power supply - can they happily co-exist?

RyanLucier

Gawd
Ok fellow [H]'ers, I'm hoping to leverage the collective power of the internets to solve my dilemma. I have a UPS thats around 1500w, it's the brand APC, and I just upgraded to a second GTX 580 for SLI. When I play games, I hear a loud ass squealing which I think is the video cards being starved for power.

When I unplug the UPS, and plug the PC directly into the wall it works fine, no squealing. With it plugged into the UPS, it's a squealfest. So clearly, it's the UPS.

Anyone know of any UPS's that can handle an OC'd i7 @ 4ghz, gtx 580 sli, couple hard drives etc.? I actually do a lot of work on this PC so I *need* to have a UPS... The gaming actually comes second, it's primarily used to put food on the table :)

I don't know what model you have. But I also use an UPS. I use the APC Back-UP RS 1500 and it has a LCD that tells me howmuch (WATT) load I'm putting on the entire system. Before I went (single card) crossfire, I had one GTX 280 and I used the APC PowerChute software to configure the APC. I don't know if you have everything at default on your APC. You can toy around with the settings to see if it resolves your power/squealing issue. Maybe your APC needs a firmware update?

Back