GTX 580(s) making me insane

dolorousdave

Limp Gawd
So, I've got a bizarre situation here. First time poster, long time reader, etc etc. Here's my situation.

No overclocks, all settings standard--most recent Nvidia drivers and 850-Watt PSU as well as 16GB G-Skill RAM that all registers.

Bought an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 with an EVGA GTX580. Worked fine with the onboard video, but would never post with the discrete card inserted. All power connectors were verified connected correctly (including the 2x8).

Returned the EVGA GTX580 and got a GTX 560ti to test--formatted and reinstalled Windows. Worked perfectly. This led me to assume the GTX580 was bad. So I ordered an MSI Twin Frozr GTX580. When it came in, I formatted and reinstalled Windows, installed the card, computer booted but Windows disabled the card with an error 43 and ran at 800x600 resolution.

SO, then I RMAed the Asus motherboard and in the meantime purchased an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard. That came in today and after format and reinstall of Windows, with the Twin Frozr 580, exact same issue. Windows disables the card with an error 43.

I went out, bought a replacement 700W PSU to make sure that wasn't the issue and still am getting the same error where the card is disabled.

I've breadboarded this entire set up 2 or 3 times, reseated by CPU and verified the watercooling was working correctly. CPU runs at 30-40C at idle and doesn't show any indications of being seated incorrectly.

I've tried OCing all systems to 4Ghz+, underclocking them, changing all applicable BIOS settings regarding voltage in every different direction, and still no luck.

At this point, I'm actually wondering if I may have gotten two bad GTX 580s in a row from different manufacturers?

Should I try an ATI 7970 or something or go back to the GTX560ti, maybe in SLI? I hate to give up the 580s but I can't figure out what the heck is wrong here.

Any ideas would be super-appreciated.

you got any peripherals connected or just card, processor, PSU and one HDD?

What PSU? Happy Lucky Dragon Star? Or something decent?

Also check to make sure SSD is in compatiblity mode instead of ACHI.

Make sure nothing else in connected either. Flash reader, DVD etc only card and SSD.

Strange. I used to own the same motherboard which ran SLI 580s without any problems. I'm not really sure what to suggest as far as a fix...

PSU was a possibility, otherwise something going on at the bios level.. Maybe even monitor.. Switch connection on card or try a different monitor

i did a google search and i see a few people also had this problem.

one of them fixed their issue using this
You could also try uninstalling the problem card in Device Manager - that will force Windows to reinstall the drivers. Just right-click on the entry in Device Manager and select Uninstall then reboot. The drivers will load when you get back into Windows - you may need to reboot again.

Failing that, did you use the default option when you installed the drivers? If so, you may be better off using the custom install and selecting the option to remove old drivers - some recent NVidia driver releases failed to update at least one key file and that's caused quite a few problems.

There have been a couple of Beta drivers released since 266.58 but I've checked the documentation and there's nothing in them that related to 580 SLI's - just thought that woul save you time if you were thinking of trying them.

another response was to uninstall/reinstall your mobos realtek and lan drivers.

have you tried using the drivers your card game with, and/or have you tried completely uninstalling your drivers and trying different ones.

Hehe, I've tried two different monitors as well. Will check the SSD to make sure it's not in ACHI. I've also used custom installation of nvidia drivers and disable the Realtek devices on the mobo as other google searches have suggested.

Uh, he said he can't POST with 580s so i'd assume its not a driver issue.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed for the board?

Yep, both board BIOSes were updated to the most recent BIOs by booting with onboard video or a tiny Radeon x300 that works fine.

I've had more issues with SSDs than anything. Try first channel, try compatibility/IDE mode (you can change it later) only goal here is to get an OS and drivers installed.

Well, at this point I've got the OS and drivers installed, it's just that the 580 is being disabled by Windows on boot every time no matter what I do. 2nd 580 on 2nd board that is completely borked.

And like I said, a 560ti works fine. Only difference between the two is the 2 x 6 pin on the 560 vs the 8 pin/6 pin power on the 580. But I've tried two different PSUs and even the 6 pin to 8 pin converter that came with the GPU.

Yank out all the memory except one stick, and set that to 1333 CL9 @ 1.6V -- same problem? And which nVidia driver are you using. Does old faithful 275.33 work?

Bought yet another GTX580, this time a PNY and it's working perfectly. I'm thinking that maybe the PCIe slot in the first Asus mobo was frying my cards somehow.

Bought yet another GTX580, this time a PNY and it's working perfectly. I'm thinking that maybe the PCIe slot in the first Asus mobo was frying my cards somehow.

A bad motherboard is a terrible thing to troubleshoot. Glad you got it worked out! :D

Back