GTX 580 rumors

i actually don't think we will see kepler in 2011 nor amd's next chip next year (SI?) because i think TSMC will screw up again... At the earliest i think will be end of november for both imho. I don't have much confidence in TSMC after their 40nm issues they had....

i actually don't think we will see kepler in 2011 nor amd's next chip next year (SI?) because i think TSMC will screw up again... At the earliest i think will be end of november for both imho. I don't have much confidence in TSMC after their 40nm issues they had....

actually they both look on track. AMD is using GF (global foundaries) Nvidia is using TSMC (Tiawan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.) Nvidia already has 28 nm wafers and is already sampling the tech, GF is saying availability very soon.

I believe both can be counted on November 2011

actually they both look on track. AMD is using GF (global foundaries) Nvidia is using TSMC (Tiawan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.) Nvidia already has 28 nm wafers and is already sampling the tech, GF is saying availability very soon.

I believe both can be counted on November 2011

Yes, Kepler is probably a year away
- should be good though
- a full node up from the GTX580, so double everything
:D

GF is rumored to be trying to get it's 28nm in production in Q2 2011
- with AMD targetting the HD7000 for this time
- but AMD has yet to produce anything on 32nm, and 32nm -> 28nm is, err, a half-node....
- so we shall see!

Meanwhile, back to the GTX580 rumor mill
- I think it's going to be better that these (fake) benches show
- why? 'cos of this

http://www.alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22010&start=50

Seems like the guy is getting good results from his 'mystery package'!
:D:D

Last edited:
Seems like the guy is getting good results from his 'mystery package'!
:D:D

From the link you provided:

And .. Both .. some are going to be shocked in a good way and some will be shocked in a bad way - but most people will be surprised (is my guess). i wasn't surprised so i figure most everyone else will be.

That's a bit enigmatic but I take it to mean this; either nVidia fans will be happy and AMD fans on the defensive because the 580 is real beast and the price is NOT $600 or AMD fans will taunting nVidia fans because the 580 sucks. Which one he means I something perhaps in between I have no idea. But I have the feeling that the 580 is going to be a great card. Really all of the cards in the Fermi architecture have pretty good performance and it looks like that nVidia has been getting good tweaks out of Fermi, getting it cooler and more power efficient, we shall know shortly.

I know appopin, he posts here on the [H]. He's a good dude and has alot of integrity. His alienbabeltech site where he is a senior editor is fucking great too. I'm excited to see what the next 3 days will bring.

That's a bit enigmatic but I take it to mean this; either nVidia fans will be happy and AMD fans on the defensive because the 580 is real beast and the price is NOT $600 or AMD fans will taunting nVidia fans because the 580 sucks. Which one he means I something perhaps in between I have no idea. But I have the feeling that the 580 is going to be a great card. Really all of the cards in the Fermi architecture have pretty good performance and it looks like that nVidia has been getting good tweaks out of Fermi, getting it cooler and more power efficient, we shall know shortly.

I'm not sure how it could be bad for AMD fans, unless he has 6970 on hand or something......I guess we'll find soon enough. If it's a good card, it's a good card.

I'm not sure how it could be bad for AMD fans, unless he has 6970 on hand or something......I guess we'll find soon enough. If it's a good card, it's a good card.

Some people have made their reputation, and careers, on predicting gloom & doom for NV, so a better-than-expected GTX580 would be bad news for them, and their fan-base.
:D

I'm sure there are many people with GTX580s and 6970s in their hand right now. Maybe doing comparison benchmarks as I type this....it all happens well in advance of the release usually.

Zarathustra[H];1036388944 said:
Nope, typo in the currency conversion in one of my cells inmy spreadsheet...

Reposted with accurate data. Sorry about that.

I had a look at the ASUS releases today, and did some statistical pricing analysis and here is my best guess at launch pricing based on that.

I predict the 580 will replace the 480 I think the 480 will be discontinued.

On launch, I think the 580 will sell for $570. According to my analysis it could go as high as $600, or as low as $548

After launch, once partners start doing discounts and mailins, I think we could see them

The GTX 580 won't sell if its price is $570, no less $548. Nvidia would be taking a huge risk with a price any higher than $499 for the reference GTX 580. The economy still is not the greatest right now, and that's true worldwide.

I'm sure there are many people with GTX580s and 6970s in their hand right now. Maybe doing comparison benchmarks as I type this....it all happens well in advance of the release usually.

Absolutely, no doubt!

I just tuned into that thread just about when he got the tracking id for an unexpected package
http://www.alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22010&start=10#p42437

- so it's been quite amusing following the developments

- and I thought the readers of this [H] thread might be interested.
;)

How can I find out about the surprise announcement, any link or any other way to follow, I need some excitement now... kinda bored. :D

Good question. I plan on watching [H], Anand, ABT and THG. I assume the NDA gets lifted at 7PM which would mean all of those sources would have reviews up.

Good question. I plan on watching [H], Anand, ABT and THG. I assume the NDA gets lifted at 7PM which would mean all of those sources would have reviews up.

ARE YOU KIDDING !!! :D I wanted excitement I think I got i!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Go back to sleep; or better, head out to a party! Nothing to see here tonight; create your own excitement is my suggestion.

i wish i could (sort of)
:)

Go back to sleep; or better, head out to a party! Nothing to see here tonight; create your own excitement is my suggestion.

i wish i could (sort of)

So, the announcement isn't of the GTX580?
- or it's just the GTX580, but no specs?

So, the announcement isn't of the GTX580?
- or it's just the GTX580, but no specs?

I'm guessing announcement of the GTX580 launching Nov. 8th/9th... there's already pages of it on various vendors, so it's gotta be coming very soon. As far as reviews... might not be until Monday :( then.

I'm not sure how take this, but I assume it relates to the 580? Guess we'll have to wait for the review(s).

That is my point, you need to wait for the official launch and the reviews of any new product before you make up your mind about it. And as you all probably know, Nvidia isn't in a habit of releasing new product on the weekend; so, i thought i'd bring it up and save you all unnecessary stress on such a nice weekend.

Thank-you to those of you who said nice things about ABT. We will try harder. And it reminds me;my break is over
... and i have a lot of benching and writing left to do.

That is my point, you need to wait for the official launch and the reviews. As you all know, Nvidia isn't in any habit of releasing new product on the weekend; so, i thought i'd bring it up and save you all unnecessary stress on such a nice weekend.

Not a release of course but what about reviews?

I've got several tabs open... NVIDIA Twitter and Facebook, [H], ABT, Anand, THG, OCN, PDXLAN home and nothing yet.

I have a feeling this PDX lan event was a had to be there type of thing. I guess tuesday it is for the reviews. Until then :)

Doubtful. It's going to be all over the forums as soon as the event is over (whenever that is). It's likely a long keynote and Jen-Hsun is probably talking about the history of GPUs and gaming and all that, and then he'll drop it "introducing... the new GTX 580!".

Doubtful. It's going to be all over the forums as soon as the event is over (whenever that is). It's likely a long keynote and Jen-Hsun is probably talking about the history of GPUs and gaming and all that, and then he'll drop it "introducing... the new GTX 580!".

Hopefully! I'm sure we'll hear what the reveal was, just depends on when.

Back