it is always 499
can't wait
and just maybe '11 q1
570 - 350
560 - 200
550- 150
530-100
yay

Doubt they'll be that cheap....Unless Nvidia wants to lose money. I also doubt you'll be seeing the 550 or 530 any time soon, or at all....Since most of their top tier cards were forced to be lowered in price.

Doubt they'll be that cheap....Unless Nvidia wants to lose money. I also doubt you'll be seeing the 550 or 530 any time soon, or at all....Since most of their top tier cards were forced to be lowered in price.

What information do you have to support that nvidia will not make money on the GTX 580 @ $499.99, that's the same MSRP the GTX 480 launched at and it used a more expensive cooler. Also the GF110 is either the same size or slightly smaller, I think they will release at $499.99 despite all the rumors of it coming out very expensive. Mostly based on an Asus leak in Yuan which usually translated to $200 cheaper here in the states.

What information do you have to support that nvidia will not make money on the GTX 580 @ $499.99, that's the same MSRP the GTX 480 launched at and it used a more expensive cooler. Also the GF110 is either the same size or slightly smaller, I think they will release at $499.99 despite all the rumors of it coming out very expensive. Mostly based on an Asus leak in Yuan which usually translated to $200 cheaper here in the states.

No, I was talking about the other cards, not the 580. The 570 may be $350 ish, when and if it's ever released. I assume all signs point to it being released.

just so u know, the price of the 580 that was on the asus site... even if its' yuan, it's msrp is higher then a 5970....

the 580 was 4799 and the 5970 is 4399 so you can't just assume it will translate to a cheaper price in north america.

The 480 is a decent step up from the 280, so the 580 will be even more significant - probably a 50% improvement overall, maybe more.

A more accurate performance comparison is 480 -> 580 will be about 280->285. At least according to the benchmarks leaked so far.

just so u know, the price of the 580 that was on the asus site... even if its' yuan, it's msrp is higher then a 5970....

the 580 was 4799 and the 5970 is 4399 so you can't just assume it will translate to a cheaper price in north america.

It's always a mistake to take prices from any other country and do a monetary conversion to US dollars.
Prices for electronics are usually jacked up in most foreign countries compared to the USA.
European prices for the 480 on release were 479 euros in europe. That would translate to $680. And it didn't retail for anything close to that in the USA. So really, just DONT do it. It's useless for the purposes of predicting pricing in America.

Last edited:
A more accurate performance comparison is 480 -> 580 will be about 280->285. At least according to the benchmarks leaked so far.

Yeah, I wasn't clear - I was saying the 580 would probably be 50% better than the 280, not the 480.

It's always a mistake to take prices from any other country and do a monetary conversion to US dollars.
Prices for electronics are usually jacked up in most foreign countries compared to the USA.
European prices for the 480 on release were 479 euros in europe. That would translate to $680. And it didn't retail for anything close to that in the USA. So really, just DONT do it. It's useless for the purposes of predicting pricing in America.

while i agree with u normally (i still think the card will be 450 personally), explain the 5970 price then? I'm just saying its' something to consider that's all.

122921xk19yq9o1y9n4zu4.jpg

12292676oy5f9iyeh7bf7o.jpg

122928hn0d5fncn55cdmdo.jpg

122930svof0jfv8nvfyzey.jpg

So about what was expected - 20-30% better than a 480. Little bit quieter too - though it's not like the 280 or 285 was known for being quiet.

So about the same length as the 5870? Looks a little bit longer than a 6870, but hard to tell for sure.

Last edited:
So ~20% faster than a 480, 83C max in Furmark, consumes less power and it's quieter than a GTX280? Sounds like a winner in my book. I'll probably upgrade to one of these from my GTX260 SLI setup.

Last edited:
As many know in the past I worked for a major nvidia AIB company and I just wanted to throw some inside information out there. There are 2 things I became very familiar with regarding nvidia and how they conceal information on the performance of their graphic cards just before release. Just and FYI to all people speculating on performance. I know it's fun to see these charts and things to give you a good idea. Here's what I witnessed first hand many times with many releases

1. Last minute bios releases
Many times, nvidia's internal teams are tweaking the bios on their cards to drive more performance, better temps etc.. from their boards and have released new bioses to the company no less than 3 days before launch, engineering team had to flash all cards and get them out in time. So at first they would release a bios that purposely holds the card back

This tactic keeps the competition and leaks from revealing nvidia's hand. This would be done on the Hardware Level

2. Purposely use an unoptimized driver at AIB partners. Internal testing at nvidia with release driver or Release driver candidate. Release driver at launch day to unlock full performance

This tactic keeps things a mystery too. I've personally seen the release driver unlock an additional 15% performance from the cards released simply by taping into the architecture better. It's not uncommon for the driver they submit to China and AIB's for internal testing hold back performance to keep them from revealing nvidia's hand. This would be done on the software level

Morale of the story, "videocards are like a box of Chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"

Recent instance of this could have been seen on AMD when they released the 6850/6870 both with higher factory locks than just days before at the AIB who were at that time ready to box and ship the cards.

So am I saying the card will be faster, no, well it might but it could also be the same speed. Just though I'd throw this out there because since I was on the inside at some point of my career I just thought you guys might want to know this kind of thing DOES happen in case you didn't already know or assume it happens.

Last edited:
Since 580=480, every OC utility should work..

and why don't you guys just ask who I am?

Imposter...Prove it you're the real Neliz and give us some leaks. Does the GTX 580 trade blows with Cayman Pro? Say it ain't so that would be sad.

Last edited:
Imposter...Prove it you're the real Neliz and give us some leaks. Does the GTX 580 trade blows with Cayman Pro? Say it ain't so that would be sad.

It'd be better if the GTX 580 trade blows with the Cayman XT (6970) rather than the cayman Pro (6950) ;)

So am I saying the card will be faster, no, well it might but it could also be the same speed. Just though I'd throw this out there because since I was on the inside at some point of my career I just thought you guys might want to know this kind of thing DOES happen in case you didn't already know or assume it happens.

Yes - seem to remember they switched the GTX480 from 512SP @ 600/1200 to 480SP @ 700/1400 at the last minute.
- which gave an extra 9%

Hmm, wonder what they'll do this time....
;)

If there is no clear performance champ between 580 and 6970 lets hope NV gets some cards onto the market in a timely fashion or it'll be another bad quarter for them :eek:

I really hope I'm going to be able to get my hands on either card within a couple weeks of release. I really don't want to spend my Christmas vacation with my 5850.

Apples to Oranges:

look at the AA and AF settings... 4X/16X AA/AF makes a big difference. Your linked pic shows no AA and 4X AF.

Ahhh...I missed that.

Here's a better representation.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-12.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-21.html

The 5970 is rated 3 fps higher than the 480 at 1920x res with 4xAA and 16xAF. However, at techpowerup, the 5970 is rated 14-15% better. This is mostly due to the fact that the 5970 excels in titles that don't require tessellation. It jumps up 14 frames over the 480 with it off. So, with tessellation activated, the 5970 is likely 4-8% better. I'd need to see the 580's performance with tessellation off. In that regard, it would have to beat the 5970.....

yeah like 580 can't be oced rights

We're simply trying to gauge the percentage of increase.

Last edited:
Yes - seem to remember they switched the GTX480 from 512SP @ 600/1200 to 480SP @ 700/1400 at the last minute.
- which gave an extra 9%

Hmm, wonder what they'll do this time....
;)

I remember this behavior of them holding back bios and driver all the way back from the launch of the 5900 Ultra up till recently. I wont be surprised if nvidia's release driver launching on day of or day before release unlocks an additional 5-10% boost. Perhaps a final bios an extra bit too. I also wouldn't be shocked if everything stayed the same as presented now, with the performance #s we see now. Who knows right now, in about 4 days we'll probably all know :D

Last edited:
If you guys are referencing the more recent chart

gtx580A_copia.jpg

GTX 580 is showing to usually be 20% or more (usually more) faster than GTX 480 in the following benchmarks

Batman Arkham Asylum
Starcraft 2
3dmark Vantage
Crysis Warhead
Hawx
Just Cause 2
Alien Vs Predator
Battleforge
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Dirt 2
Lost Planet 2
Metro 2033
Stalker COP
Stone Giant
Unigen Heaven

It's only less than 20% or more faster in the following;

COD MW2
Resident Evil 5
World in Conflict

Please Re-read the chart, look at the data not the length of the bars Each line up is a 20% boost over the other card

Now granted all of these charts could be canned and some are obviously Synthetic (Vantage, Stone Giant, Heaven) to name a few, but man in other forums they are laughing and saying that most of you guys can't read the charts.

Back