GTX 580 rumors

nakedhand

2[H]4U
The first review:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/27.html

~15% faster than GTX 480 over all score, based on their numbers, methods and game selection. Do I hear cheers from the AMD headquarters?

Rumors and conjecture on an emerging Nvidia GPU: GF110 and its possible home, the GTX 580. Will update as more (dis)information is released or leaked in the next few days/weeks.

Here are some quotes, images and links from various (un)reliable sources.[/B]

GTX 580 guesstimated specs so far:
GPU Core Frequency: 772 MHz
Shader Clock: 1544 MHz
Memory Clock: 4008 MHz
Memory Bandwidth: 192.4 GB/s
Texure Fillrate: 49,4 GTexel/s
384bit bus
1536 MB GDDR5
512 CUDA cores
64 TMUs
TDP ~245W

Speed increase over GTX 480 around 20%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct. 28th

beyond3d.com forum - Thanks to Tamlin_WSGF !

"GF110 SKUs:
Quote:NVIDIA_DEV.1080.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580"
NVIDIA_DEV.1081.01 = "NVIDIA D13U"
NVIDIA_DEV.1082.01 = "NVIDIA D13U "
NVIDIA_DEV.1083.01 = "NVIDIA D13U " "

Thanks to Lord_Exodia for the links and transcript below:

chiphell.com forum link 1
chiphell.com forum link 2

"Some clocks leaked, a very official pic too

core/memory: 772/1102
Vantage X mode:12700+

It is said that gtx580=120% performance and 80% TDP of GTX480".
- Lord_Exodia

Leaked images from expreview.com via - "[URL="http://we.pcinlife.com/thread-1540808-1-1.html"]Pcinlife"[/URL] of the GTX 580, thanks to eddieck for the heads up!

"Due to NDA(Non-disclosure Agreement) reasons,we are unable to reveal the spec of GTX 580.For more information,please keep close watch on our follow-up report."

Oct. 24th

Forum find by samurai1999

..not a 512bit bus part, but a 384bit with 1.5 GB RAM.

Oct. 21st

digitimes.com Thanks Samurai1999

"..20% faster than its current GeForce GTX 480, according to sources from graphics card makers."

Not too far from the 17% that SemiAccurate reports.

"After GF110, Nvidia is also set to gradually unveil its GF112, GF114 and GF119 in 2011 with market positions similar to its GF104, GF106 and GF108, respectively."

...maybe even a 117 ? Thanks Tamlin_WSGF

BREAKING NEWS! :D Thanks to Rhialto for the short concise and epically reliable link! ..and to eddieck for the screendump, linked at the beginning of this sentence.

Nvidia: List of desktop video cards, 500/400/300-series

"GeForce 500/400/300 Series:

GeForce GTX 580
GeForce GTX 480
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GTX 465
GeForce GTX 460
GeForce GTS 450
GeForce GT 340
GeForce GT 330
GeForce GT 320"

So it turns out that Nvidia themselves are currently listing the GTX 580 at their own domain, hence it should most likely, even with the most pessimist set of eyes, be happening! Now if only the rumored specs hold up, and the launch date. Personally most skeptical about the, 512bit bus and the December launch date rumor. And less skeptical about the 128MTUs reading you guys feedback and insights.

Oct. 19th

Charlie of SemiAccurate

"..the GF110 is officially being touted to partners as the GTX580. While there are a lot of pretty outrageous rumors going around, this mystery part looks to be a mildly updated, basically just fixed, GF100."

Which makes the 512bit bus rumor even more unrealistic.

"If Nvidia can squeeze 512 shaders that actually work out of a piece of silicon, and also up the clock by 10%, you are looking at about a 17% increase in speed over a GTX480."

A little on the short side for being relevant, still a very fast card if this holds true.

"If you are a buyer, you will be waiting until 2011. GF110/GTX580 is not expected to hit the shelves until the very end of January, likely early February"

Makes a little more sense. hmmm ..and in February we will hear of a March/April launch? ;)
I hope not.

VR-ZONE

"Unfortunately, even the GF104 - the most efficient GF10x chip - was significantly trailing AMD's Radeon HD 5000 series in performance-per-watt and performance-per-mm2, never mind the HD 6000 generation. We still haven't seen a fully enabled GF104 chip either. Nvidia simply haven't had enough time to repair most of GF100's flaws, as AMD has been setting a breakneck pace in generational upgrades."

As many here have said, they better improve these aspects, if they hope to reach just a few of these rumored specs at 40nm under 300W

"Following the GF110, we can expect more derivatives. Some of the codenames being thrown around are GF112/4/9."

Bring on the derivatives! This pile could potentially spawn an interesting performance product.

Oct. 18th

From frontpage of http://www.nvnews.net/:
Unofficial "rumored" roadmap: Thanks to Tamlin_WSGF and Samurai1999 for the links. Comment with edit, below.

nvidia_2011_gpu_roadmap.jpg

Originates from 4gamer.net In the translation, its tagged the GF110 as a 768 core single chip and GF112 as a 384 SP part, but they also speak of a dual part.

Oct. 15th

Fudzilla

"The rumored card should be equipped with 2GB of GDDR5 memory paired up with a 512-bit memory interface. "
Yes please! Lots of RAM and almost more excitingly, a good improvement to the memory bandwidth.

"The GF110 based GTX 580 should be an improved GF100 GPU with 512 CUDA cores and 128 texture units"
This would be freaking amazing! Just doesn't necessarily sound very realistic that they would more than double the texture units or does it? But hey, wouldn't it be wonderful?

"the GTX 580 will show up in December and should be based on the 40nm GF110 GPU"
I strongly doubt that release date...

Nordic Hardware

"GeForce GTX 480 has 60 texture units but according to the sources NVIDIA has reconsidered things with GF110 focused on a beefier texture department that holds 128 texture units. This is done by changing the ratio in the SM units from 8:1 to 4:1 (CUDA cores relative to TMUs), the latter is a solution it used with the the GT200 GPU."

"The rumors suggest that the card will use a massive 512-bit memory bus connected to GDDR5 memory for staggering bandwidths."

Hexus.net

"The GTX 580's core - dubbed the GF110 - is rumoured to feature four re-jigged Graphics Processing Clusters. Each of these contains four revised Streaming Multiprocessors, all of which are armed with eight texture units - that's up from four on GF100"

=======================00=======================

Time to hope, that some of these rumors have some basis in reality, maybe its not going to be a Cayman landing in my system soon after all. What do you guys think about all this?

Links:

Nordic Hardware

3Dcenter.org
(Thanks to siliconnerd for this one).

Fud

pcgameshardware.de

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035831499&postcount=74 (Thanks to samurai1999).

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1549461 (Lord_Exodias "Fermi refresh" thread, now updated).

hexus.net (Thanks to Lord_Exodia for this link).

Unofficial Roadmap (Thanks to Samurai1999)

4gamer.net (Thanks to Tamlin_WSGF).

SemiAccurate (Thanks to Tamlin_WSGF).

VR-ZONE (Thanks to Tamlin_WSGF).

Nvidia: List of desktop video cards, 500/400/300-series (Major props for this find to Rhialto).

digitimes.com (Thanks to Samurai1999 once again!)

Leaked images of GTX 580 (Thanks to eddieck!).

Last edited:
It's good to see them releasing a card that will be faster than their last card. Instead of having it just be a mid-range yawnfest.

I'm hoping for some sort of GTX475/560 something or other (faster than a 460 while being around 2-fiddy)

Short of some GF104 derivation, I doubt they will have something like fud's claims by December.

If this is true, which I doubt, this card would probably end up even hotter and more power hungry. I thought the 512SP GTX 480 was bad enough with an increase of 200 watt power load compared to the "original" GTX 480, unless if NVIDIA pulled something off and managed to decrease power consumption on 40nm.

I'm hoping for some sort of GTX475/560 something or other (faster than a 460 while being around 2-fiddy)

Would be a great deal with current games. There really aren´t enough games out there that I want to play that challenges the 480 as it is at 1920. Yes, Metro 2033 and perhaps Crysis at enthusiast. But all those damn console ports, wont do it, unless they are bad ports like SC Conviction.

Twice the texture units. Same manufacturing process?

Lol.

Yeah, thinking the same. Pretty far fetched.

Short of some GF104 derivation, I doubt they will have something like fud's claims by December.

Almost impossible yes. GF104 derivation could be interesting too IMO.

Following the links, it looks like the article is originally sourced from here: http://translate.google.com/transla...tp://www.3dcenter.org/news/2010-10-13&act=url That said, it would be strange to see a December hard launch considering there hasn't even been a rumor or a refresh happening until now.

Agreed!

Found these other links, may also be sourced from the link you provided though.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...ia-preparing-gtx-580-with-512-cuda-cores.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,7...t-Geforce-GTX-580-unterwegs/Grafikkarte/News/

i call BS personally. I do think nvidia will release a new card in december though. I see them releasing a dual 460 personally. Heck, i'm amazed it isn't one out yet nor announced.

Also, with how long it took the 480 to come out and how fudzilla was constantly saying it would be out before the holiday season, yeah, i'm a bit pessimistic about it as well.

The 300W TDP limit of the PCI-E specifications may be a limiting factor here if all partys involved are going to stick to it, this is clearly what has limited a dual GPU variant from Nvidia and left the 5970 crippled.

Nvidia are in hot water here unless they can bring their power issues under control, if the PCI-E power limit is really the bottleneck here then until that is increased the winner will be the person with the most power efficient GPU which is ATI by a long shot...they already have a 295W TDP card out, the 5970 so I'd be surprised if anything in the 6xxx range beats this card by much, the only benefit to be had over the 5970 is single GPU efficiency vs dual which will vary from game to game but generally wont be much.

I predicted this and even refreshed my thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1549461.

I think nvidia and TSMC have probably done alot better honing the 40 nm process on the gpu's and have managed to get 2x the ROPs fixed memory bus for a full 512mb bus and support for even faster gddr5 all at the same area of TDP and power draw of the GTX 480 which although that card pulls alot is a win for them.

With all the extra horsepower thrown in (if the rumor holds true) should've put them over the 300 watt PCIE TDP Spec.

While I surely hope Nvidia could release a 512 core Fermi card by December. I think most of the other specs look like fantasy. So I think the article is just someone's fictitious speculation.

I call bullshit. By December? No way. The power requirements on that set would be even worse than they are right now. I think we'll see a chipset that isn't largely faster but runs cooler and demands a lot less power before we'll see the beast described in this rumor.

Agree with everyone else. Fudzilla is useless. They said back in July that a full GF104 aka gtx 475 was due "very soon". Then they went back and deleted the article when it turned out to be BS.

Agree with everyone else. Fudzilla is useless. They said back in July that a full GF104 aka gtx 475 was due "very soon". Then they went back and deleted the article when it turned out to be BS.

Every Nvidia awesomeness humor I hear comes from fudzilla. I think all Fudzilla threads should have that on the title so I can ignore those.

what should be very telling is we are over 1 year since fermi was unveiled (wood screws and all) and still not even a limited run of the full function GTX480 / 512sp.

i was excecting Nvidia to stockpile a bin of full 512sp gtx480 chips since the beginning of manufacturing for a limited run and that didn't even happen.

which to me says that the original GF100 is so far broken as far as manufacturablity that there are not even enough fully qualified 512sp chips to make even a limited edition full function card.

Oh I want them to be true! Here is some "fud" quotes, some conjecture...

"The rumored card should be equipped with 2GB of GDDR5 memory paired up with a 512-bit memory interface. " Yes please! RAM and almost more excitingly a good improvement to the memory bandwidth.

"The GF110 based GTX 580 should be an improved GF100 GPU with 512 CUDA cores and 128 texture units"

This would be freaking amazing! Just doesnt necessarily sound very realistic that they would more than double the texture units or does it? But hey, wouldnt it be wonderful?

"the GTX 580 will show up in December and should be based on the 40nm GF110 GPU"

I strongly doubt that release date...

Time to hope, that some of these rumors have some basis in reality, maybe its not going to be a Cayman landing in my system soon after all.

What do you guys think about all this?

Link

I just bought a 480GTX (for 330 assuming this mail in rebate thing pans out) yet I will still weep like a small-girlish child if my sexy sex of a card is outdated in 2 months.

Some more bullshit to bring people to fudzilla for ad revenue. Basically saying "This card is twice as fast, with no physical changes to the gpu".

i call BS personally. I do think nvidia will release a new card in december though. I see them releasing a dual 460 personally. Heck, i'm amazed it isn't one out yet nor announced.

Also, with how long it took the 480 to come out and how fudzilla was constantly saying it would be out before the holiday season, yeah, i'm a bit pessimistic about it as well.

Although there *is* a GF110 due out in Q4...

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035831499&postcount=74

;)

Very nice find. Hmm I hope that doesn't get Kyle in trouble. I doubt it cause he's done this for so long I doubt he was under NDA and slipped up. That's it for me 100% confirmed.

GTX 580 is on the way. Maybe specs will be different but this post from Kyle Bennett back on June 15th which confirms to me that nvidia has been working on this gpu for some time. Enough time for most of the rumors to be true. How they kept it a secret for so long while under our noses is a mystery. Any more skeptics at this point would surprise me.

I just bought a 480GTX (for 330 assuming this mail in rebate thing pans out) yet I will still weep like a small-girlish child if my sexy sex of a card is outdated in 2 months.

Same here, I just got two GTX 480s for $650 a couple of days ago. Even so, it should last me quite a while, my GTX 285 certainly did, especially sadly with all the console ports coming out and the stagnation of technical progress because of the outdated consoles dominating the industry (barring inefficient ports with poor coding eg. GTA4).

Very nice find. Hmm I hope that doesn't get Kyle in trouble. I doubt it cause he's done this for so long I doubt he was under NDA and slipped up. That's it for me 100% confirmed.

GTX 580 is on the way. Maybe specs will be different but this post from Kyle Bennett back on June 15th which confirms to me that nvidia has been working on this gpu for some time. Enough time for most of the rumors to be true. How they kept it a secret for so long while under our noses is a mystery. Any more skeptics at this point would surprise me.

We don't know the intended purpose of the GF110. It could be in any segment for what we know. I personally don't believe anything spread in the Fud article I also don't think the GF110 is intended to "max" out Fermi either, these rumors are coming suspiciously close to the release of the revised architecture cards by ATI.

Wasn't there a something saying that even series releases were new technology and odd series releases were "refreshes" of the previous series? In other words, 2xx and 4xx cards were new designs, 3xx were supposed to be a refinement of 2xxx. If so, then a 5xx card would just be a refresh of the 4xx lineup.

We don't know the intended purpose of the GF110. It could be in any segment for what we know. I personally don't believe anything spread in the Fud article I also don't think the GF110 is intended to "max" out Fermi either, these rumors are coming suspiciously close to the release of the revised architecture cards by ATI.

Keep in mind that some of these rumors are coming from nordic hardware and other reliable sources. They are not like fudzilla or theinquirer. They are also on the other side of the world so for them to leak it, they must have heard about it from somebody over here.

I know that they are leaking now, purposely even to kill some of AMD's steam but do you blame them. It doesn't make the rumors any less true. Looks like we will see soon, but I expect more things to leak every few days but the time frame is just right. I think they've been workinng and debugging this GPU since fermi's delay and the whole wood screws incident. It is probably ready for mass production if the rumors of a December launch are true.

Keep in mind that some of these rumors are coming from nordic hardware and other reliable sources. They are not like fudzilla or theinquirer. They are also on the other side of the world so for them to leak it, they must have heard about it from somebody over here.

I know that they are leaking now, purposely even to kill some of AMD's steam but do you blame them. It doesn't make the rumors any less true. Looks like we will see soon, but I expect more things to leak every few days but the time frame is just right. I think they've been workinng and debugging this GPU since fermi's delay and the whole wood screws incident. It is probably ready for mass production if the rumors of a December launch are true.

I don't blame them for the release, I don't condemn them or anything its just another business move. All it does it make me believe less in this rumor then anything. Thanks for pointing out the Nordic reference I didn't even think of that, that places a fragment of truth to it!

Ah hell, probably annoying, but what's going to be the power consumption and heat dissipation of this card?

Ah hell, probably annoying, but what's going to be the power consumption and heat dissipation of this card?

Some rumors state that it's at GTX 480 levels for the power draw. Heat dissipation is still a mystery.

With twice the TMUs and a more aggressive memory bus and a full 512 cuda cores I thought this card should exceed PCIe spec but remors state it doesn't and that makes sense.

I believe Nvidia has been working on this GPU since the original Fermi architecture failed to metamorphasize to what they wanted. I think in that time they have done well with the power draw if the specs are true and it consumes what a 480 GTX does.

they really worked their butts off if they did manage to pull that off. If it is pulled off Nvidia really deserves some credit!

good luck trying to ruin AMD's xmas, gonna be a red season again this year, just like I predicted last year. AMD will once again own the GPU market top to bottom chipping away at Nvidia's image as the leading GPU company. Lots of hotair and bluster from Nvidia before the big launches, AMD's silence must have them really worried :)

No it's not. I'm betting that GF110 is a dual gpu in one card deal. That would explain the double texture units. I think each of the GPUs will be based on an updated GF104 architecture. They can call it GTX 580 if they want to but it should probably be more accurately called GTX 495. I will be very surprised if this GF110 is any more than this because Nvidia just has not had enough time between fermi releases to get ready to roll out something totally new. Obviously if it's fast enough and can challenge Cayman, which I doubt, I'll buy it. Otherwise, meh, I'll skip it and wait for a true Fermi 2.0.

I will be very surprised if this GF110 is any more than this because Nvidia just has not had enough time between fermi releases to get ready to roll out something totally new.

Nvidia claims their totally new product will come out in 2011. I hope they come out with an improved Fermi within the next 6 months or less. They have a lot of employees and resources including different teams for multiple designs so I think its likely they will have an improved product before their new design.

Some more bullshit to bring people to fudzilla for ad revenue. Basically saying "This card is twice as fast, with no physical changes to the gpu".

And some other sites, but I see what you are saying, this is exactly how fud pays the bills. As mentioned by siliconnerd, it seems its all sourced from that 3Dcenter article.

This is great news! Thats a viable assertion, that they have been working on this for some time, for sure Lord Exodia. Thanks for the link samurai1999. I have added it to the first post, for ease of browsing important excerpts and links in this thread.

Same here, I just got two GTX 480s for $650 a couple of days ago. Even so, it should last me quite a while, my GTX 285 certainly did, especially sadly with all the console ports coming out and the stagnation of technical progress because of the outdated consoles dominating the industry (barring inefficient ports with poor coding eg. GTA4).

It will last you a long long while. No need to despair. Its always gonna be like this. As someone else already mentioned, the whole PC gaming evolution is "held back", at least technically in terms of pushing the limits of current GPUs, by the console problem. Sorry, I never liked consoles since my Atari 2600, these days they bother me more than ever because of this "developed for console then ported to PC"- trend. We shall have next gen consoles before we are allowed to make full use of our new GPUs on a broad scale. Rooting for more alternative dev teams, like the people behind Metro 2033.

Added to the first post for ease of browsing important bits. Thanks! :D

It seems like a good time to stir the GPU waters a bit for sure. Not as optimistic as you, but I would love it to be true.

Made with 40 nanometer technology GF110 will be a big and power consuming piece, but the card shouldn't have to drain that much more than GTX 480 - Nordic Hardware

they really worked their butts off if they did manage to pull that off. If it is pulled off Nvidia really deserves some credit!

Hahahhaa yeah, would very close to pulling off "real magic"... hmm a contradiction :D

No it's not. I'm betting that GF110 is a dual gpu in one card deal. That would explain the double texture units. I think each of the GPUs will be based on an updated GF104 architecture. They can call it GTX 580 if they want to but it should probably be more accurately called GTX 495. I will be very surprised if this GF110 is any more than this because Nvidia just has not had enough time between fermi releases to get ready to roll out something totally new. Obviously if it's fast enough and can challenge Cayman, which I doubt, I'll buy it. Otherwise, meh, I'll skip it and wait for a true Fermi 2.0.

I sincerely hope you are wrong and this will be no dual GPU, just for selfish reasons. Still I can see it potentially be a fun card to own and heat your case with, just not one I would ever buy, until dual GPUs "waste less" performance, derived from bad coding and/or insufficient hardware architecture.

If this GF110 is not fast enough to challenge Cayman, Nvidia takes the "meh"-crown for now. What would the purpose be, when trying to maintain their position as number one in high end segment.

Nvidia claims their totally new product will come out in 2011. I hope they come out with an improved Fermi within the next 6 months or less. They have a lot of employees and resources including different teams for multiple designs so I think its likely they will have an improved product before their new design.

So what are the "conclusions" we can draw from this, even with the most pessimistic perspective?

Nvidia most likely have a new refreshed GPU ready, the GF110 an "interim champion" so to speak, before Keppler comes out at 28nm some time in 2011. Question is how profoundly different this 40nm GPU is going to be from the current?

Personally I doubt that they have something even remotely close to what is being rumored in a couple of months. Bloated figures probably get leaked, to create interest plus "shock and awe" everyone, while we enthusiasts scramble to rethink our planned ATI (yes, I do not approve of this preposterous name deletion ;)) purchases, at those of us planning a 6xxx purchase around December.

Last edited:
The 300W TDP limit of the PCI-E specifications may be a limiting factor here if all partys involved are going to stick to it, this is clearly what has limited a dual GPU variant from Nvidia and left the 5970 crippled.

Nvidia are in hot water here unless they can bring their power issues under control, if the PCI-E power limit is really the bottleneck here then until that is increased the winner will be the person with the most power efficient GPU which is ATI by a long shot...they already have a 295W TDP card out, the 5970 so I'd be surprised if anything in the 6xxx range beats this card by much, the only benefit to be had over the 5970 is single GPU efficiency vs dual which will vary from game to game but generally wont be much.

Intersting points. Its hard to believe that Nvidia have made substantial progress on the TDP / performance ratio staying at 40nm without a minor architectural revolution. I have higher confidence in ATI managing this maybe even to the extend of surpassing the 5970 with the 6970, still optimistic :D

Every Nvidia awesomeness humor I hear comes from fudzilla. I think all Fudzilla threads should have that on the title so I can ignore those.

Hey, easy now, you are wrong stamping this as a Fudzilla thread. The title of the thread is "GTX 580 rumors", so its evident that we are discussion rumors here, hence various sources will be included.

At the time of your posting, I had already posted with links to Nordic Hardware and pcgameshardware.de, these rumors have not been unique to fud. Fud is a dangerous read I agree, but far from wrong all the time. Anyway, check the other links, I have since posted them in my original post.

I think nvidia can come up with a great card if they take a 480 and make the same changes they made to the 460 (removing some of the cuda stuff)

Hilarious how anti-nvidia this board has become though.

Yeah, Cayman release due in December, so oh boy a super duper gtx 580 is due in December too!

Hopefully this sample card doesn't use wood screws in assembly for public demonstration this time ;)

Back