GTX 580 Display Issue

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
So a quick reference to the problem here;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353013-33-display-startup

Basically my friend was vacuuming out his computer (I know I know) and he hit something and the system no longer displays anything past the windows splash screen. I've tried everything including a fresh install but once I load the graphics drivers, the monitor loses signal at the login screen and blacks out. I confirmed the system is still running in the background fine.

I can get the card to output if I go into safe mode, or if I uninstall the drivers and restart I get in ok, but once it reinstalls the driver the same thing happens. I've tried older drivers and I even took the card home to test in my PC and it ran fine (benchmarked with 3dmark 11 to stress test it).

At this point I'm down to it being a power issue (more likely) or perhaps a motherboard issue. . .anyone have any insight? I'm thinking I'll help him pick out a PSU to try out and if it solves the problem great, if not . .back to the drawing board.

Just an added note, the system works fine with the video card removed running off the integrated SandyBridge graphics.

New power supply was another dead end. Same results. Thinking it could be the video card again? The issue only occurs with this card when hitting the login screen. . also when plugged in this system or mine at home, would sometimes exhibit odd behavior when turning on. Pressing the power button would cycle on, shortly after power off, then a short pause and power on again. . .I'm at a loss.

Back