GTX 570 Non-Reference Cards

sethk

2[H]4U
I've seen that there are a few non-reference cards (at least in terms of cooling) being announce (and 1 is already released in the US) in the GTX 570 line. In a couple of reviews that I read (especially for older 470 / 480 cards) there was a big drop in temps and the bigger dual 80mm (or whatever) fans were slightly quieter even though they kept the card cooler. I would love to overclock the card, and I plan to keep it for about a year, maybe two, if that matters. I may SLI it when I get my SB upgrade.

I have a very well vented case, so the fact that these non-reference solutions don't vent directly to the outside of the case is not a problem.

What do people recommend? I think it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy a card that comes from the factory with an enhanced cooling solution, compared to buying a stock card + aftermarket VGA cooler. I've performed these cooling upgrades myself in the past, and while I don't have a problem with it, a) it's expensive and b) it's a hassle to investigate, order and perform the upgrade (I once had an aftermarket cooler sit on a shelf for 2 month until I had a weekend free to do the upgrade in peace).

Should I go with my instincts and get a non-reference card, or should I buy a stock card + VGA cooler and perform the upgrade myself? If the latter, what cooler is good for the 570?

What currently available card should I get (in the US), or should I wait for some upcoming non-reference card that looks good and is coming out soon?

Last edited:
i (personally) would go with a non-reference card that comes with an aftermarket HSF. it's worth it to avoid the hassle. that being said, keep in mind that a lot of non-reference cards have revised PCB's with 'cheaper' components to reduce manufacturing costs. i say 'cheaper' because it doesn't necessarily mean they are not adequate components, and also sometimes the pendulum swings the other way and companies add 'upgraded' components. literally *all* of my past GPU's have been reference-design cards with the exception of my recently purchased MSI GTX 460 Hawk. so this is my first adventure with an aftermarket gpu design. i've been extremely happy with the cooling so far...but it's a very cool-running card to begin with. not exactly an answer to your question...just food for thought.

I'd go with this from MSI : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564

The cooler is proven to perform very well, and from what I understand MSI does not cheap out on the components of their non-reference boards.

Thanks for the suggestion, good to know about MSI. I was doing some more research, and MSI does seem like a good choice for non-reference. What about this Gigabyte and this Palit card?

I noticed that both of them had higher stock clocks (although I'm OK with setting a higher clock myself on the MSI if the platform is equally capable of overclocking).

Back