GTX 570 + H55n [Nvidia compatibility issue]

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
New member here. Before proceeding to my inquiry I'd just like to say hello to the people of [H]!

Some of you must be aware of the compatibility issues going on with Nvidia's Fermi cards. The thing is, I am awaiting a Gigabyte GTX 570 ordered last week that will be going in the system I am putting together based on a Gigabyte H55n USB 3.0, but I only found out this issue yesterday (accidentally at that).

Of all the information I have read, I have not found my motherboard listed as having issues. I know that some people over here have Gigabyte's mITX board. So I thought about asking if any of them who have Fermi cards have encountered the problems some seem to be experiencing.

For all I know things might turn out just fine, but I'm kind of worried since all this represents quite some money for me and my orders are coming from abroad (prices are really cheaper).

Thanks for any possible feedback.

Regards,
Chris.

I have, an eVGA GTX570 reference. Gigabyte H55N-USB3. No compatibility issues, here. An occasional stutter, though that may be the current monitor / limiter screwing with my clocks. Then a bit of looping issues (like the stutter, actually), but I've heard OCing the PCIe bus may help... if one is so inclined to do so.

If you run out of RAM, you'll get long delays. Also, get those games on a proper drive!

If you run out of RAM, you'll get long delays. Also, get those games on a proper drive!

Ah, well... curses. I'll have to get a 4x2 kit, since I only have two slots, lol. I do have a 2TB WD Green... not too sure if it's the best option??

Better, maybe, depending if the laptop drive is 7200rpm or not. If you're not too worried about noise you could always shell out for a 2TB Caviar Black.
Also, I assume you aren't running that GTX570 off the stock 300W PSU with the SG06 :)

Ah, it's on the SG07's stock 600W PSU :p

It drew too much power for even the SG05/SG06's 450W to handle, though there are indicators the 450W is junk...
even cj3waker, who's got an almost identical build to me, has the same issue.

Laptop drive is 5400RPM. Spins down every 3 seconds :mad: or so.

I posted the work around in three separate threads here. Install an older PCI-E graphics card in an unused slot, it forces the PCI-E bus to work correctly and the new card will work with NO issues at all.

I have, an eVGA GTX570 reference. Gigabyte H55N-USB3. No compatibility issues, here. An occasional stutter, though that may be the current monitor / limiter screwing with my clocks. Then a bit of looping issues (like the stutter, actually), but I've heard OCing the PCIe bus may help... if one is so inclined to do so.

Thanks for the feedback : )

I posted the work around in three separate threads here. Install an older PCI-E graphics card in an unused slot, it forces the PCI-E bus to work correctly and the new card will work with NO issues at all.

I've read about this on the Nvidia forums. If people like Jeremy of myself encounter this problem this will not work - the H55n only has one slot (mITX).

This is also a problem for P35 and P45 owners using lower-end boards with single PCIe 16x slots. I don't consider using anything older or more basic than that to be very viable as a platform for a high-end graphics upgrade these days, but still, there are plenty of owners of those chipsets out there, albeit most P45 owners have 2-slot boards.

What bothers me is Nvidia lack of communication on the matter... There's literally hundreds of Fermi owners freaking out and spending quite an amount on shipping and going through RMA on these cards to try and sort out the problem and all the guy from Nvidia in that thread says is more or less "We're working on it". They could at least hint us to whether they are getting close or not to finding out what is causing this.

Back