GTX 480 PCB pictures

They blocked the connector because it obviously broke the NDA code. They are not aloud to show any codes on the PCB that have to do w/ Fermi.

i want one, now that i know that it can handle 2d graphics better than an ati card.

does anyone know how much is it going to be, the most expensive, initially?

if those are 64meg chips, and double sided ... this is a 1.5gig card, capable of being 3gig card :eek:

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, that is some memory

EDIT: I am looking at efficiency here, price at the moment not being a factor. You could incorrectly assume that for the HD5970, each GPU pulls about ~147.5w, which is quite better than for one GPU on GTX480 -- but then you would have to factor in whether or not HD5970 performs similarly or better than the GTX480. Otherwise this would be meaningless LOL.

The 5970 pulls less power than 2 5870's CF because it's clocked at 5850 speeds. Higher clocks = higher power draw. Just look at the 5830. It's clocked higher than the 5850 and of course consumes more power than that card.

I'm still surprised by how utterly sparse that PCB is; I expected a lot more power regulation and filtering.

Make sure you've got a PSU up to the task, you're going to want stable voltage rails for this card.

he probably pulled info from somewhere else
Well, reading that page run through Google translate: "and with almost hd5850, there are enough disappointing", "
This results at best, and also similar to 5850?" and "
For the nvidia new products, the individual is expressed disappointment" :(

Do you care to speculate what you think any of that means SOSUS? It seems to mean that it's slower that a 5850, but it since I don't understand Chinese [at all], it could mean the opposite, where ATI will be disappointed. Who speaks Chinese?!

Do you care to speculate what you think any of that means SOSUS? It seems to mean that it's slower that a 5850, but it since I don't understand Chinese [at all], it could mean the opposite, where ATI will be disappointed. Who speaks Chinese?!
So far, it seems the 470 will be similar in performance to the 5850, and the 480 similar to the 5870, but noone knows for sure until we get some real reviews..

if it all fits in 1 single PCIe slot then it is a comparison to me at least.

just cause one company can do it with 2 GPU's and another with 1 for example doesnt mean they should be compared.

also i look at the price, if they both sell for say $499, why not compare them

From a price/performance standpoint, I agree. If the 480 really is $600, it needs to compete well with the 5970.

But you can't really have an accurate measurement of temperature or power draw with one GPU on one card and two on the other; the two-GPU card will produce more heat and eat more power, even if it's FAR more efficient.

So far, it seems the 470 will be similar in performance to the 5850, and the 480 similar to the 5870, but noone knows for sure until we get some real reviews..

I sincerely doubt this. And not for any other reason than Nvidia has had 6 months to make sure this card beats the 5850/5870. They wouldn't release the 470/480s into the wild without making sure they beat them. How much they beat them by is a different story though.

I sincerely doubt this. And not for any other reason than Nvidia has had 6 months to make sure this card beats the 5850/5870. They wouldn't release the 470/480s into the wild without making sure they beat them. How much they beat them by is a different story though.
Yeah, anything before March 26 should be taken with a truckload of salt. I'm just hoping for some ATi price drops in April :p

After seeing the HD2900 debacle I'd say anything's possible, even if it is pretty damn unlikely. Wait and see is definitely the best approach, of course.

Pretty unrelated question, but do PCI-E 2.0 power specs not allow 2x8-pin connectors to cards at the moment or anything? I figured the 5970 would be running that as a safeguard if it's placed into a PCI-E 1.1 slot at its 295W TDP.

Unsure about your TDP question in regards to the connectors but theres a few differences in the HD2900 release and the Fermi release.

ATI came out later to say that it was delayed because there were unfunctioning portions of their core, with Fermi they say its due to the 40nm not producing enough good cores to release it. For performance wise I'm expecting it to work as intended since its the manufacturing thats slowing it down and not actually due to engineering (maybe it is??).

After seeing the HD2900 debacle I'd say anything's possible, even if it is pretty damn unlikely. Wait and see is definitely the best approach, of course.

Pretty unrelated question, but do PCI-E 2.0 power specs not allow 2x8-pin connectors to cards at the moment or anything? I figured the 5970 would be running that as a safeguard if it's placed into a PCI-E 1.1 slot at its 295W TDP.

IIRC you max PCI-E allowed 300W with 1-8 pin and 1-6 pin connector already so no need to install more.

Back