GTX 480 2way sli with the problem playing Metro2033????

billtaco

n00b
my PC:
CPU : QuadCore Intel Xeon W3520, 3800 MHz (20 x 190)
MB: EVGA E758
RAM DDR3-1333 2g * 3
cards: EVGA GTX 480 SC 2way SLI

Play Metro 2033

The settings :
DX11 all max
very high
1920*1200
4MSAA
16AF
advanced Phx

just on the chapter one
the FPS is very low
the max is almost only 55 and in some place the FPS will be down to 15 .... :eek:

on the Youtube :

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUpzT1jhoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM

some one play the game with the same settings and similar PC but his FPS is up to 80 or more avg (even to 120)
another one is at lease 50 (when attacking the animals....)

OF COURSE the different chapters ????
any one has the same or similar PC as mine ?? ur FPS ??

By the way :
my Win 7 installed on 40G INTEL SSD SA2M040G2GC
and my game all installed on
Raid : WDC WD10EALS-00Z8A0 1Tb
will this be the problem for the low FPS??

another question is my gtx 480 is placed on way 1 and 3
will way 1 and 2 be better (my board is EVGA x58 3xSLI )

Its unlikely that a harddrive would cause low fps. It would cause slow loading of the level. But once you started playing nothing more.

Im not quite sure I understand you, It only happens on the first level? Or on every level? If it's just the first i'd reinstall.

I don't have this board, but it looks like the two slots closest to the CPU are the best for 2 Card SLI, the top slot is x16, the next one down is either x16 or x8 (You may have to set it to x16 in bios). The third slot is only x8. YOu may also want to check your slot bandwidth settings, some board have 3 x16 slots, but only have enough bandwidth to configure each one as x8 if more than one card is used.

The game does recommend 8gb of RAM. So maybe thats a factor too.

I don't have the game so can't test it, but on various benchmarks a single 480 gets 35 fps on average non SLI. So SLI would be around 60 on average. And Tri Sli around 88-90.
But don't worry if the fps plummets in some areas, its not a video camera filming the scene, its rendering every single detail. So when scenes have more action, and are move intense the card is shifting more polygons so it will go down. In the second video (by the way the first URL is scrambled) there was times where the same thing happened.

My PC is a bit different, but with equivalent CPU & greater RAM.. I get around 30 FPS with a single 480 running at 800/1600/2000, and I had to turn down from Very High to High settings (1920x1200 resolution), and Physx is set to Normal. His resolution looks like 1920x1080 in the youtube video, but it looks like he's getting about 60-70 average, which seems to be expected given the resolution difference and SLI'd 480s.

I'm not really suprised, the game is the new system killer.
Use AAA instead of 4x MSAA and turn off 'Advanced DOF' under Direct X 11 options (not worth the performance hit at all).

My PC is a bit different, but with equivalent CPU & greater RAM.. I get around 30 FPS with a single 480 running at 800/1600/2000, and I had to turn down from Very High to High settings (1920x1200 resolution), and Physx is set to Normal. His resolution looks like 1920x1080 in the youtube video, but it looks like he's getting about 60-70 average, which seems to be expected given the resolution difference and SLI'd 480s.

oh really
thx
the resolusion is just a little diffrent ??
1200 and 1080 ?????

Its unlikely that a harddrive would cause low fps. It would cause slow loading of the level. But once you started playing nothing more.

Im not quite sure I understand you, It only happens on the first level? Or on every level? If it's just the first i'd reinstall.

I don't have this board, but it looks like the two slots closest to the CPU are the best for 2 Card SLI, the top slot is x16, the next one down is either x16 or x8 (You may have to set it to x16 in bios). The third slot is only x8. YOu may also want to check your slot bandwidth settings, some board have 3 x16 slots, but only have enough bandwidth to configure each one as x8 if more than one card is used.

The game does recommend 8gb of RAM. So maybe thats a factor too.

I don't have the game so can't test it, but on various benchmarks a single 480 gets 35 fps on average non SLI. So SLI would be around 60 on average. And Tri Sli around 88-90.
But don't worry if the fps plummets in some areas, its not a video camera filming the scene, its rendering every single detail. So when scenes have more action, and are move intense the card is shifting more polygons so it will go down. In the second video (by the way the first URL is scrambled) there was times where the same thing happened.
my board will meat the 16x and 16x
and i only play the chapter one

Yes it will...But only if you use slots 1 and 2. Slot 3 is x8 only.

really
i am really so stubid
any board is Slot 1 and 2 are 16X ??
and Slot 3 is 8X
my MB is EVGA X58 3X sli
really ????
thx
iam really not good in this place
So ur suggestion is
1. shift to Slot 1 and 2
2. ram up to 8G or more ?? really necessary ???

Make sure your Ambient Occlusion setting in the NVIDIA driver has been set to the default position.

I was getting 20 to 30 fps per second in WoW with GTX 285 SLI. with it turned on. (Off is default)

It may not be called ambient occlusion in the driver... I'm at work right now, so I don't have it in front of me. I'm pretty sure the setting was forcing some sort of ambient occlusion. >.>

Make sure your Ambient Occlusion setting in the NVIDIA driver has been set to the default position.

I was getting 20 to 30 fps per second in WoW with GTX 285 SLI. with it turned on. (Off is default)

It may not be called ambient occlusion in the driver... I'm at work right now, so I don't have it in front of me. I'm pretty sure the setting was forcing some sort of ambient occlusion. >.>

Thx, u mean i have to Turn off or on the AO settings ???

Sorry
ijust found that
Metro 2033 wont support AO

really
i am really so stubid
any board is Slot 1 and 2 are 16X ??
and Slot 3 is 8X
my MB is EVGA X58 3X sli
really ????
thx
iam really not good in this place
So ur suggestion is
1. shift to Slot 1 and 2
2. ram up to 8G or more ?? really necessary ???

I don't know what 8gb of Ram does towards fps, because I don't own it. But from the game page;

Optimum Requirements:

Processor: Core i7 CPU
Memory: 8GB RAM or higher
Graphics: NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
DirectX®: DirectX 11

So unless they have some deal with corsair and OCZ (probably cruitial) to sell more RAM, getting more would be the easiest and cheapest option if you want more hardware. You don't need to do it, the minimum specs only list 1gb ram. But if you want top performance it's probably advisable.

Yes your board CAN do 3 card SLi, but motherboards only have so much bandwidth. This limitation is why you can only have x16 for the top two. When you use three cards it spreads the bandwidth even thinner between the slots. So;

1 card. x16
2 Cards x16 x16
3 Cards Probably x16 x8 x8. or x16 x16 x 1 or something similar.

So somtimes youll be lacking a sausage if you go tri SLI with most motherboards!

Last edited:
I don't know what 8gb of Ram does towards fps, because I don't own it. But from the game page;

Optimum Requirements:

Processor: Core i7 CPU
Memory: 8GB RAM or higher
Graphics: NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
DirectX®: DirectX 11

So unless they have some deal with corsair and OCZ (probably cruitial) to sell more RAM, getting more would be the easiest and cheapest option if you want more hardware. You don't need to do it, the minimum specs only list 1gb ram. But if you want top performance it's probably advisable.

Yes your board CAN do 3 card SLi, but motherboards only have so much bandwidth. This limitation is why you can only have x16 for the top two. Also in some boards when you use three cards it spreads the bandwidth between the slots. So;

1 card. x16
2 Cards x16 x16
3 Cards Probably x16 x8 x8. or x16 x16 x 1 or something similar.

but i only use 2 card
so even in this situation
i should place the two cards in slot 1 and 2
no 1 and 3
??
by the way
if i bought another one 2 g ram
the 4th one will be ont run on ddr3
that is the single one
so if want to add ram i should add for 3 rams once???

but i only use 2 card
so even in this situation
i should place the two cards in slot 1 and 2
no 1 and 3
??
by the way
if i bought another one 2 g ram
the 4th one will be ont run on ddr3
that is the single one
so if want to add ram i should add for 3 rams once???

Yes always stick graphics cards in the closest slot to the CPU. It shall make it slightly hotter between the two cards, but youll get more performance.

I don't have your board so I don't know exactly, but genrally this is how it works.

2 sticks. A1 and B1. Dual channel.

3 stick ddr3 go in A1 B1 and C1 (the slots are colored differently, these are the ones your sticks are in). This is a single set of triple channel ram.

If you want a 4th stick for 8gb, you put it in A2 (check your motherboard for where this is. It's usually the closest one to the CPU socket). This shall be in the differently colored slot. This is also 1 set of triple channel. I'd check your motherboard manual to see if you can use this configuration, because not all motherboards do. Also you have to get matching RAM to the sticks you already have, i'd reccommend just buying the same type.

5 sticks can't be done.

So the next option up is another 3 set of the same ram for 6 sticks. And obviously goes in A2 B2 C2 for 2 sets of triple channel.

It does slightly limit overclocking having more ram. but other than that, there isn't any negative points for having more ram, and obviously its more ram, so more open windows etc. better performance in some games. etc. It probably wont be a massive improvement, and I run everything I can think of with only 6gb 1800 DDR3. But I've never played this.

Hey look Im famous lol, thats my video haha.

And if you'll notice, from 1:20 to the 1:25 mark. That was a total error on my part, after I saved the direct x 11 options, it kicked it back to AAA and I didnt even notice. So that is why it is performing a little better than usual also. But I also did play with 4x MSAA, maybe a 10-15fps drop. Still ran super smooth and played great.

Yes always stick graphics cards in the closest slot to the CPU. It shall make it slightly hotter between the two cards, but youll get more performance.

I don't have your board so I don't know exactly, but genrally this is how it works.

2 sticks. A1 and B1. Dual channel.

3 stick ddr3 go in A1 B1 and C1 (the slots are colored differently, these are the ones your sticks are in). This is a single set of triple channel ram.

If you want a 4th stick for 8gb, you put it in A2 (check your motherboard for where this is. It's usually the closest one to the CPU socket). This shall be in the differently colored slot. This is also 1 set of triple channel. I'd check your motherboard manual to see if you can use this configuration, because not all motherboards do. Also you have to get matching RAM to the sticks you already have, i'd reccommend just buying the same type.

5 sticks can't be done.

So the next option up is another 3 set of the same ram for 6 sticks. And obviously goes in A2 B2 C2 for 2 sets of triple channel.

It does slightly limit overclocking having more ram. but other than that, there isn't any negative points for having more ram, and obviously its more ram, so more open windows etc. better performance in some games. etc. It probably wont be a massive improvement, and I run everything I can think of with only 6gb 1800 DDR3. But I've never played this.

thx
u just suggest the cards in slot 1 and 2 ???
thx

And if you'll notice, from 1:20 to the 1:25 mark. That was a total error on my part, after I saved the direct x 11 options, it kicked it back to AAA and I didnt even notice. So that is why it is performing a little better than usual also. But I also did play with 4x MSAA, maybe a 10-15fps drop. Still ran super smooth and played great.

HAHAH
i never think u will be here...
u mean ur settings : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM
i mean this video
1920 *1200
very high
Dx 11 ??? with DOF and Tess..
MSAA 4 ==> now AAA
16AF ??
really
i care about the DX 11 and the DOF, TESS and advanced phyx??
the video is really urs???

Oh by the way what is the FPS on the chapter one
i turn 4AA to AAA
still down to 25 in some place in chapter one
u????

Thx share ~~

LOL ya that really is me buddy. I can't tell you about anything now because I dont own the GTX 480's anymore. I returned them but im waiting for non-reference gtx 480's so I can pick up 2 again and keep them this around.

I'll have to check it out again when I get them.

its normal to drop down to 25ish, even a single 480 @ 860/2000 on 1680*1050 is on 15-20ish...

its normal to drop down to 25ish, even a single 480 @ 860/2000 on 1680*1050 is on 15-20ish...

oh
that is so terrible
i mean just AAA
my dream will be broken
the "Rage"
and crysis 2
avg 30FPS will be never taken.....

I feel like I just read a text message thread between a 14 year old and a few adults...

Coming from someone who has ample RAM and SLI 480's, yeah, you are going to still drop your FPS in this game. This is the next Crysis as far as system stress goes.

I don't understand what OP's expectations were. DOF is not playable for me. Playable for me is 40+ fps and in the lighted areas with god-rays, DOF and 4xAA+Tes drops me down to 20-25fps.

And ya, if English is not your first language please state that in your first post so that we can take you more seriously.

Among other things, the new 257.21 WHQL drivers increases GTX 480 FPS "Up to 40% in Metro 2033 with SLI (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)". The OP should very definitely try the new drivers.

Among other things, the new 257.21 WHQL drivers increases GTX 480 FPS "Up to 40% in Metro 2033 with SLI (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)". The OP should very definitely try the new drivers.

i dont like that
this versioin of driver
only make the FPS "stable "
there is almost no FPS down to 15 or less
almost the min is more than 25... (under 4MSAA + all max and all ON)
but the max or avg. will be lower

Back