GTX 470 SLi Reviews

weird both reviews varied quite a bit. 470sli dominated the 5870cf in FC2 for hex but then canucks was the opposite. Though I didnt see where Hex listed the drivers, canucks used 197.17 beta.

Toms Hardware came right out stated GTX470 and GTX470SLI performance vs 5870 and 5870CF is all over the place depending on the game and resolution.

I'm not willing to believe GTX470 is side by side with a 5850 at this point.

I still think $350^ too pricey for a card that has yet to offer any new features over the competition and has iffy power and cooling.

Nvidia needs to come out with the damn Surround and level the playing field.

Nvidia needs to come out with the damn Surround and level the playing field.

My purchase of the gtx 480 had nothing to do with surround 3d which I think is little more than a gimmick. It had to do with the speed. I hope I can tolerate the noise though. :p It would have been interesting to see a 470 SLI vs 5970 and vs 5850CF review though.

My purchase of the gtx 480 had nothing to do with surround 3d which I think is little more than a gimmick. It had to do with the speed. I hope I can tolerate the noise though. :p It would have been interesting to see a 470 SLI vs 5970 and vs 5850CF review though.

Not the 3D just the multimonitor gaming support. Thats all I want.

You will be fine with noise in that case. I don't think these are much louder than my 3 way SLI gtx285 and even if it is loud, it is nothing like what the furmark clips show.

The fans are no louder than my 260's that I had before the 470's. The 3 260's were obscenely loud at 100% fan speed and so are these. Put a mic 2 inches away from the case and all video cards sound retardily loud. Do that same thing with 2 or 3 cards and the sound is expotentially louder. Shouldn't be a suprise.

Bottom line is the fan sound from these cards is vastly exaggerated. Take my word for it.

The fans are no louder than my 260's that I had before the 470's. The 3 260's were obscenely loud at 100% fan speed and so are these. Put a mic 2 inches away from the case and all video cards sound retardily loud. Do that same thing with 2 or 3 cards and the sound is expotentially louder. Shouldn't be a suprise.

Bottom line is the fan sound from these cards is vastly exaggerated. Take my word for it.

+1. Well comming from a 2x SLI 480 owner.

I'm running overclocked GTX 470 SLi myself. Works darn well on this Acer 120Hz LCD. I've got 3d vision up and going too.

Man it's nice to have vsync back. I never used it when I was limited to 60Hz.

I'm running overclocked GTX 470 SLi myself. Works darn well on this Acer 120Hz LCD. I've got 3d vision up and going too.

Man it's nice to have vsync back. I never used it when I was limited to 60Hz.

I don't know why I'm so conflicted about this. On one hand I want to go to 120Hz monitors but on the other I just hate dropping down to 1920x1080. It's irking the hell out of me.

I don't know why I'm so conflicted about this. On one hand I want to go to 120Hz monitors but on the other I just hate dropping down to 1920x1080. It's irking the hell out of me.

I was @ 1920x1200. I don't notice a big difference, and you might. I still have my 1920x1200 LCD it's just on my alt rig.

Vsync with this monitor often = 60-120FPS, which I find ideal. It's darn sweet for gaming.

No it doesn't hold a candle to an H-IPS monitor in color reproduction and it's one of the best TN panels I've seen. If you get one try; 42% brightness, 60% contrast, .95-1.00 gamma, and 60% DV from the nVidia CP. Looks pretty spiffy set like that. Don't run ACM. For text and forums browsing drop gamma to .90 and DV to 53%. Setting one is good for pics and gaming.

On unrelated note but that does address the OP; Hexus net ran all benches with 4xAA while Hardware Canucks ran benches with AA on and off. Both did briefly test 8xAA.

When I read a review I always look for the res I play and the filtering quality. I couldn't care less about no AA results personally.

Last edited:
Back