GTX 470 2-way SLI Temperature Issue

notbond007

n00b
Hello. I just picked up a DELL 27" 2560x1440 native display and connected it to my setup. I also have an older ACER 24" 1920x1200 native display which I also have connected. I currently have the DELL display connected to GPU1 which I have in the top/first PCI-E slot (x16) and GPU2 is located in the third PCI-E slot (x16) located below. The second PCI slot located in between to two video cards is empty so there is a two slot gap between the two cards, and I have the two video cards connected using a 3-way SLI bridge so it reaches over the empty double slot.

The (primary) DELL 2560x1440 monitor is connected to GPU1 on top, and the Acer 1920x1200 is connected to GPU 2. I originally had both monitors connected to GPU1 and at idle GPU1 was at 65 degrees while GPU2 (with nothing connected to it) was at 44 degrees. I decided to move the lower resolution monitor to GPU2 thinking that it would balance it out. However, now GPU2 which has the lower res monitor is at 66 degrees at idle, and the GPU 1 with the higher res display is at 44 degrees at idle. :confused:

Why is this as I would tend to think that the draw of the higher res display would generate the higher temp, but no? Now... I did realize that the lower res display is connected using a single link DVI cable, and the higher res monitor is connected using a dual link DVI cable. Could my higher temp on GPU2 be as a result of the single link DVI cable? Any help or insight would be appreciated. My full rig specs are below. TIA

Last edited:
Are they both the same exact models video cards? Have you cleaned them with compressed air? Do you have good air flow for the bottom card? If you add a 120mm fan to the back, does it make the video cards temperature drop?

arent the 400 cards known to be very power hungry and get very hot?

Yes on both accounts. This is why I sold mine when going to a smaller case. They are still very powerful cards though. But just as stated the heat and power draw is very high for them.

arent the 400 cards known to be very power hungry and get very hot?

Are they both the same exact models video cards? Have you cleaned them with compressed air? Do you have good air flow for the bottom card? If you add a 120mm fan to the back, does it make the video cards temperature drop?

Yes. The card are the same exact model card. However the cards BIOS versions appear to be slightly different. Below is the info for the cards which I copied directly from Afterburner. I am mounting a 120mm Antec 3-speed fan set to "High" into the airflow bracket right now as I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing that out. I will post the updated temp numbers in a bit as dinner has just arrived and I have to stop what I am doing right now.

GPU1
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device : GeForce GTX 470 on GF100 GPU
Display driver : 314.22
BIOS : 70.00.35.00.70
GUID : VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_14723842&REV_A3&BUS_2&DEV_0&FN_0
Multi-GPU role : synchronized with master
Registry key : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E75F6F6A-123C-4EF0-8E0C-94CBF25DABE6}\0000
VDDC controller : Display driver

GPU2
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device : GeForce GTX 470 on GF100 GPU
Display driver : 314.22
BIOS : 70.00.21.00.70
GUID : VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_14723842&REV_A3&BUS_3&DEV_0&FN_0
Multi-GPU role : master
VDDC controller : Display driver

Well... with the added 120mm fan GPU1 is between 44 to 52 degrees and GPU2 is between 58 to 62 degrees at idle. Overall a little better airflow to GPU2.

Last edited:
How long has it been since you cleaned out the gpu with some compressed air? Might want to make a fan curve in evga precision for the gpus. Or just for kicks swap the gpus around.

I just cleaned out the GPUs two days ago and I did swap the GPUs around.

I have be considering upgrading my GPUs, but would prefer to hold off as long as possible to wait and see how prices are after Nvidia releases the 700 series.

I would prefer to stick with Nvidia, but I am temped to jump to AMD with a pair of 7950s or 7970s as Newegg has some killer combo deals going on for 2 Radeon cards with 7 premium games included.

Would like to future proof my next cards with 3GB memory or higher on each GPU. Any suggestions?

I just cleaned out the GPUs two days ago and I did swap the GPUs around.

I have be considering upgrading my GPUs, but would prefer to hold off as long as possible to wait and see how prices are after Nvidia releases the 700 series.

I would prefer to stick with Nvidia, but I am temped to jump to AMD with a pair of 7950s or 7970s as Newegg has some killer combo deals going on for 2 Radeon cards with 7 premium games included.

Would like to future proof my next cards with 3GB memory or higher on each GPU. Any suggestions?

Where did you see 7 games included with AMD cards?

Where did you see 7 games included with AMD cards?

Look at any AMD cards on Newegg. Some have come with coupon for FARCRY3 Blood Dragon, CRYSIS 3 & BIOSHOCK INF. Then scroll down took look for a combo deal for that AMD card for buying two cards (which will included another 4 in 1 game coupon that gives you FarCry 3, Hitman Absolution, Tomber Raider & Sleeping Dogs). You do the math...

...7 premium games!!! Actually you wind up with a double coupon of the one for FARCRY3 Blood Dragon, CRYSIS 3 & BIOSHOCK INF which you can then turn around and sell on Ebay to make back some of your $$$. :D

Go ahead and get the 7970's then. The 7950's are a tad faster then a 670 in somethings. So either will be a great upgrade for you. Then with the games off one you can sell those along with the 470's to bring down the total cost. Unless you would like to hold out until the refresh gpus come out.

I've seen The problem with the 470s before, and a few months ago the problem was the 2nd card gets stuck in 3D mode with a monitor. Some odd bug that's been around forever. Sounds like they still haven't fixed it

Look at any AMD cards on Newegg. Some have come with coupon for FARCRY3 Blood Dragon, CRYSIS 3 & BIOSHOCK INF. Then scroll down took look for a combo deal for that AMD card for buying two cards (which will included another 4 in 1 game coupon that gives you FarCry 3, Hitman Absolution, Tomber Raider & Sleeping Dogs). You do the math...

...7 premium games!!! Actually you wind up with a double coupon of the one for FARCRY3 Blood Dragon, CRYSIS 3 & BIOSHOCK INF which you can then turn around and sell on Ebay to make back some of your $$$. :D

Well I replaced the monitor cable and now it reversed and GPU1 is running hotter. lol I give up. Will wait for a good deal and pick up a couple of new video cards which will run cooler anyway. Thanks all.

Look for a pair of GTX660 to hit about $150 each, shouldn't take to long, maybe mid summer. A single GTX660 practically performs on par with a GTX480 with less power, heat and noise.

I bought a GTX470 on release, load and hot. Stepped up to a GTX480, load and hot. My GTX480 just died, RMAing it right now and a few months back, my friends GTX480 died and he had to RMA it.

Yeah. I looked at the 660s and I'm looking to increase performance not keep it the same. I am monitoring Newegg daily and waiting for a good enough deal to pop up. Looking to spend no more than $700 on either two Nvidia or two AMD cards.

OK, with $700 your option are very open to you. Anything 600 series runs a lot cooler and a lot quieter.

Back