GTX 460 without Windows 7?

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
Would there be any point to an upgrade to a GTX 460 from an 8800GT if I am still running Windows XP? I have been very wary about upgrading to Windows 7 mainly because I will lose all my files and such from the transfer. I know I should do it anyway. In the same breath anyone have any suggestions to make it less painful if that is what needs to be done?

buy a retail copy of windows 7 home premium, back your files onto another hard drive and upgrade xp to 7.

buy a retail copy of windows 7 home premium, back your files onto another hard drive and upgrade xp to 7.

Why retail? Costs a lot more for the same license and software vs Oem system builders off newegg.

Back up your stuff and get on with it already? Burn DVD's, get a flash drive, hard drive, other computer, use online back up (hell, even gmail), whatever. There really is no point in getting a GTX 460 without Windows 7, as there are much cheaper DX9/DX10 cards with similar performance.

Dude, don't be lazy! Back your data up and install Windows 7. You can't stay with XP forever. It's time.

Probably no point to it, dx10 is the only reason to be upgrading to a 460. I'm betting you could get similar dx9 performance with a cheaper card. Win7 is so much better than xp. And I was a die hard xp fan.

Probably no point to it, dx10 is the only reason to be upgrading to a 460. I'm betting you could get similar dx9 performance with a cheaper card. Win7 is so much better than xp. And I was a die hard xp fan.

DX11, and the huge speed, too, :).

Who the hell does upgrades! That is so lazy. Back data up and clean install! People freak out over nothing on this topic.

i do....wait thats because I have vista to install....then use the win 7 upgrade on that :p

anyhow, on topic, if your not going Win 7, dont get a 460

I dont know why people are adverse to a GTX460 on XP. If you want more performance, a GTX460 will be a big step up over an 8800GT even on XP. If you're on a budget and can't afford both the card and the operating system, I see no reason not to buy the card and upgrade the operating system down the track. I know of people who are using higher end cards than a GTX460 on XP and are happy with them.

I think you mean DX11 and DX10. The last pure DX9 card was the X1950XT and the 7950GT. OP, don't waste your time on ancient DX9-only cards.

If you won't upgrade from XP, then get a GTX260 as it has similar performance to the GTX460.

But yeah, like the others stated, it's time to move on. XP is a 9-year-old OS and has been far outdated since Win 7 came out.

I dont know why people are adverse to a GTX460 on XP. If you want more performance, a GTX460 will be a big step up over an 8800GT even on XP. If you're on a budget and can't afford both the card and the operating system, I see no reason not to buy the card and upgrade the operating system down the track. I know of people who are using higher end cards than a GTX460 on XP and are happy with them.

What is the point of this if they aren't going to run games with DX10 or DX11?

Even though the cards are high performance, with only DX9 there isn't a point.

Just play the game on low settings and get high fps, lol, it's the same thing.
The point of these high-end cards is to get performance AND all of the eye candy.

There is ZERO reason to continue on with XP and use DX10/DX11 cards.
If price is the reason that XP hasn't been upgraded, then I'd suggest using some of the money put towards those cards and dump it into the OS. Just my opinion.

XP is old, outdated, and out done by Win 7 in every single aspect.

What is the point of this if they aren't going to run games with DX10 or DX11?

Even though the cards are high performance, with only DX9 there isn't a point.

Just play the game on low settings and get high fps, lol, it's the same thing.
The point of these high-end cards is to get performance AND all of the eye candy.

There is ZERO reason to continue on with XP and use DX10/DX11 cards.
If price is the reason that XP hasn't been upgraded, then I'd suggest using some of the money put towards those cards and dump it into the OS. Just my opinion.

XP is old, outdated, and out done by Win 7 in every single aspect.

I never said there wasn't reason to upgrade to Win 7, I said if for some reason or another you are stuck with XP that's no reason to not buy a newer card. Ok I sort of agree with you saying get a GTX260, as that's a good deal if you can pick one up much cheaper than a GTX460 (here in Australia you can barely buy a GTX260 and the ones you find new are overpriced). But that could be said regardless of what OS you use, its still good value.

The reason to use DX10/11 cards with XP is obvious to me, more performance. Even in Dx9 at higher resolutions a better card will let you enable more eyecandy and filters. There's still games that wont play smoothly in Dx9 mode at 1920x1200 with a bit of AA.

I never once stated XP was worth holding on to or that it wasn't out dated and surpassed by Win7, but a better card will still give better performance and probably more energy efficient too.

I never said there wasn't reason to upgrade to Win 7, I said if for some reason or another you are stuck with XP that's no reason to not buy a newer card. Ok I sort of agree with you saying get a GTX260, as that's a good deal if you can pick one up much cheaper than a GTX460 (here in Australia you can barely buy a GTX260 and the ones you find new are overpriced). But that could be said regardless of what OS you use, its still good value.

The reason to use DX10/11 cards with XP is obvious to me, more performance. Even in Dx9 at higher resolutions a better card will let you enable more eyecandy and filters. There's still games that wont play smoothly in Dx9 mode at 1920x1200 with a bit of AA.

I never once stated XP was worth holding on to or that it wasn't out dated and surpassed by Win7, but a better card will still give better performance and probably more energy efficient too.

By the gods! I won't let this usage of logic and reasoning continue! How dare you question me, mortal!!!!1 :p

What about game data and stuff like that? Is there any way to back that up so that I can not lose all of my save points and other stuff? Most of my software and media I can handle no problem.I do have 2 hard drives so I could just do that back up. I can get windows 7 pro for $30 ($43 with disc).

Get Windows 7 and the GTX460. Not only will games run faster and look better, your system will also be faster, more stable and more user friendly and support new technologies. WinXP belongs to a bygone era of Pentium 4's, Athlon XP's and IE6 over 1Mb ADSL

But if you absolutely can't stand the thought of having a faster, more stable system, at the expense of a couple of hours backing up your data, then the GTX460 still won't be a waste of money. Many games can tax modern GPUs even in DX9 mode, such as Far Cry 2 and Crysis. Keep in mind though that DX10 or 11 modes often not only look better, but also tend to perform slightly better at comparable settings.

My choice for backing up would be an external hard drive and a complete image backup using Acronis True Image. If something goes wrong, you can easily restore the entire drive. If everything works out, it's easy to pull your files as needed from the image, and you don't have to worry that you may have missed some important file when backing up.

Last edited:
Back