~ GTX 460 SE troubles~

mwl5apv

n00b
ok guys, here is a link to a thread i started on another site. Hoping that someone here could help me out...

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/993196-whats-going.html

long story short. I recently overclocked my CPU and NB. I followed all the instructions, and stress tested with prime95 for 15+ hours(stable) and OCCT for 7+ hours(stable as well). I ran memtest and it was clean, and rean the windows built in memtest and that was clean as well.

Anyway, after the OC when I was playing any game. After 30 minutes or so( sometimes longer other time shorter) the game would crash. Windows would give me a message saying the exe file of the game has stopped working. This was followed by the graphics card throwing millions of errors on OCCT if tested after the crash. And if i tried to restart the game the screen would go black and give me static type sounds out of the speakers.

I brought the OC back to stock and so far all is well. No crashes, glitches, gpu errors, nothing.

What could the problem be? My OC tested stable. Could this be a corruption in windows? a bad HDD?

Someone please help!

How the f did u manage to write all that w/o even mentioning whether ur gfx is OC-ed?

Running OCCT GPU 7+ hours... great instructions LOL

Pay attention to temperatures and don't OC several things at once,
so when it crashes u have no idea is it because of bad apps, CPU, RAM or gfx.

And screw occt... just play games, do ur stuff

the gpu is completely stock. never touched the clocks.

I overclocked the cpu and nb separately. CPU passed a 15 hours test by itself. NB passed a 12 hours test by itself and together they passed prime 95 for 16 hours and OCCT cpu test for 8 hours and occt linpack for 6 hours.

And i ran occt GPU test to check for errors after the crashes.

it seems to look like a software error when the exe file stops working but when restarted the game, the screen going black and giving static noises from the speakers looks like hardware. Could it be the HDD going? Or having bad sectors? Could windows be corrupted?

Like i said with everything back at stock. everything works the way its meant to. But if the OC passes stress testing like the way it did what is going on?

Why would it be HDD when stock ur fine

I can also OC high and pass some stability tests, and yet some simple prog crashes.

With everything stock - all good. Uhmm I think that's not a stable OC u have.

well i said hdd becasue of something like bad sectors or something?and windows not running the way its suppose to? I dont really know much when it comes to HDD's

And what I am wondering is how the oc can be unstable with such extensive stress testing.

I mean a stress test at 100% cpu use and system use is by far more stress than anything i could ever do to my computer. I would think that if it passes stress tests that it should be fine right? and all the mem stressing and testing i did was clean as well.

Or did I not stress for long enough? And i didint OC all that high. I hit 3.8 and then backed it down to 3.75. and my NB was at 2750.

Unstable OC(BIOS setup), RAM, PSU, mobo... all of these are possible culprits.

Does happen only in one game?

it happened in any game. The two I mainly play are Day of Defeat on steam and GTA 4. Havent tried any other games out to see if the same thing happened.

Back