GTX 460 > PSU - halp

davidlem

Gawd
In an effort to prepare for BF3 carnage, and to take advantage of Adobe Mercury Playback Engine, I have ordered a GTX 460 1GB to replace my HD 3870 512MB. Within an hour I realized my Thermaltake 430W we're all familiar with won't have enough juice to set the pixels loose. Now that I've blown my wad on a GPU I'm trying to stay on the reasonable end of the price spectrum. However, and this may be a determining factor if you're taken the time to read this far - I tend to expect my components to last years and possibly multiple builds so I want something that can handle an i7 setup in the future. I'm hoping you all can help.

The system as it stands
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 430W PSU (2x12V, 14A+15A)
Radeon HD 3870 512MB
8GB G.SKILL
2 x WD Black SATA
DVDRW
2 x 80mm case fans
2 x HDD coolers
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF

thanks

I can't find the combined 12v output of that unit but it might just be enough for the GTX 460, just try it out and see if it holds under Furmark.
Also, list your budget for the new PSU.

Thanks Profumo. I listed the dual 12v output in my details (14A+15A) which is under 350w by my calculator's calculations. I'd like to spend less than $75; modular cables and silent are not requirements.

If you wanted something that lasted years, you shouldn't have bought that Thermaltake.

You're right that I shouldn't expect years out of the Thermaltake, but it has lasted since June 18, 2007 in three different builds. Call me lucky I guess.

This would be my suggestion right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

With the $10 off promo code, it comes out to $40 after rebate with free shipping. It's more than you need, but you won't find a better deal.

That's looking like a real nice deal at a good savings under the SeaSonic 520wt someone else recommended elsewhere.

You're right that I shouldn't expect years out of the Thermaltake, but it has lasted since June 18, 2007 in three different builds. Call me lucky I guess.
Well, you just weren't loading it very much. It's a mediocre 350W PSU and an awful 430W PSU.

Cool, I made sure to link through the [H] commissioned links to do all my shopping and found what I needed. Hopefully the Gawds will smile upon its safe and swift delivery. See you all on the Battlefield.

I use the most cheapest of power supplies (it was a 500w for $40 with a rebate of $40 so I got it literally for free)

I've been using it daily for years, and run a GTX 460..... runs fine.

Get a power supply (I'd say corsair if you can get it, otherwise get any brand thats cheap) that is 600+ watts to future-proof your computer for more powerful stuff in the future....

Just wanted to follow up, the GTX 460 is working very well with the Antec EA650. I've also installed an Antec Kuhler 920 unit and OC the CPU to 3.3GHz 24/7 stable.

I use the most cheapest of power supplies (it was a 500w for $40 with a rebate of $40 so I got it literally for free)

I've been using it daily for years, and run a GTX 460..... runs fine.

Get a power supply (I'd say corsair if you can get it, otherwise get any brand thats cheap) that is 600+ watts to future-proof your computer for more powerful stuff in the future....

It's like playing russian roulette. Years ago I bought the "cheapest of the cheap" of PSUs as well. I was not so lucky and avoided the bullet though. My last el-cheapo PSU took out two harddrives and my mainboard.

After that I never, ever cheaped out on a PSU ever again. Learned my lesson, yessuh.

just buy a 70$ rosewill 750 watt PSU with 80 bronze or silver 80+ efficient PSU, i mean i see deals on new egg and tiger direct all the time for 600w+ PSUs are on sale, also anything like 550w or higher should run an intel i7 build, mine pulls only like 400-470 w with my radeon 6950HD from AMD

Back