GTX 460 on AMD mobo?

hp9000

n00b
Hi,

Please forgive my utter ignorance in this matter. I'd like to know if it's possible to run a GTX 460 on a AMD (asrock) mobo. My limited understanding is that AMD mobos should be paired with AMD (ATI) videocards and Nvidia with Intel, but seeing how a GTX 460 is cheaper and faster than a 58xx card, that got me thinking if Nvidia is an option I could consider.

Thanks!

You will have absolutely NO problems running a gtx 460 on an AMD board. Same applies to an AMD (ATI) card on an Intel chipset.

since you asked such a question it makes me curious to what your system looks like. could you please list your specs just to make sure your pc is decent enough to go with a gtx460?

Everything will be fine until you want to SLI. Only nvidia chipset will work and unfortunately the nvidia 940 is a 3 year old chipset. rebranded

Here are the specs:

Asrock M3A785GXH
AMD Athlon II X4 630
8Gb G-Skill DDR3
WD Caviar black 640 Gb
Samsung F3 1 Tb
Sony Optiarc DVD
Onboard Radeon HD 4200 video for now

That's a misconception, nothing's stopping you from mixing AMD and Nvidia or ATI and Intel. SLI is a different story, but that's because of NV shenanigans more than anything else given how crossfire has been doable on Intel chipsets for years now.

I'm running the GTX 460 on my AMD motherboard. It even has ATI graphics integrated on board. It has no issues. Though uninstall all ATI display drivers just to be safe.

Thanks! I wonder if this common misconception (ATI=AMD, Nvidia=Intel, never shall the twain meet), often fueled by the manufacturers themselves, is hindering them more than helping them sell more cards. I can't be the only one that's confused by this? Anyway, thanks again for your advice.

Everything will be fine until you want to SLI. Only nvidia chipset will work and unfortunately the nvidia 940 is a 3 year old chipset. rebranded

Actually, SLi is not exclusive to nvidia chipsets.
Both Intel P55 and X58 allow SLi.
You should however look for the SLi trademark on the Motherboard box or in the product description.
You will have absolutely NO problems running a gtx 460 on an AMD board. Same applies to an AMD (ATI) card on an Intel chipset.

Indeed, I am running Crossfired 5870s on my EVGA Classified MB.

Back