GTX 460 dead (again). 30k ppd -> 10k ppd. I'm sad

titan97

Gawd
My eVGA GTX 460 died over the weekend. This was the third card I've gotten from eVGA after the other 2 died and were replaced under warranty. My ppd is now at roughly 10k, down from the 30k I had with the card. Hopefully this 4th card (3rd warranty replacement) will hold up better.

:sad face

If you are OC'ing it - you might want to look at pulling the OC back a bit on the next card. Also with that many cards dying in the same system I'd really think about replacing the PSU as well.

Thanks for the advice. Other than the OC, I don't think I can corelate the dead cards with any single component, vis.:

The system has been in fluctuation over the span of the 3 dead cards. It started out with an old Athlon single core when the PSU died, so it got a new 460W CoolerMaster. Then the mobo died a few months later and I picked up a new mobo and CPU from the FS/T forum. At that time I also added an aftermarket cooler to the video card to help control temps (and OC more). That card eventually died, but not before I had RMA'd the mobo and bought another PSU (I had a brain fart when troubleshooting the system). I bought another CoolerMaster, 450W 80PLUS (to help with electricity costs). Everything has been humming along well until this weekend.

My OC on the card was 870MHz (1740MHz shader) and 1900MHz memory @ 1.100V. Temps while folding (with the CPU OC'ed and folding, too) were around 70-75C. The CPU is an Phenom x4 6150e @ 2.2GHz (up from 1.8GHz) with temps under folding at 55-60C.

I still think you should look at getting new (and bigger psu). Per nvidia specs 450W is the min. psu size for the 460 and your OC is only going to increase that power draw

Yah what he said above. 450w is a MINIMUM. Your psu is not going to pump out enough to keep that rig stable. Probably the reason you have lost 3 cards.

Look at a decent 650w supply. Corsair, seasonic, Enermax and *SOME* antec units are just some that spring to mind, decide a budget, have a look and then when you have chosen ask one of us - if you choose a crap one we'll set you straight

The 460's don't use that much power, and I bet the CPU isn't particularly power hungry at just 2.2GHz. I'd be surprised if that rig pulls more than 400w. However, if the PSU isn't of good quality, pushing the limits on it probably won't be a good idea. If you need to replace it, adding a few watts won't hurt.

One thing that has been the same (after the first dead PSU): CoolerMaster PSU's.. 3 cards, a motherboard and a dead PSU. Sounds like you've either got some bad karma or you're not getting good enough power supplies.

The first time the card went out, I actually had 2 power supplies, rigged in parallel. One was the CM 460W and the other was an older Enermax 350W. :cool:

You need to get one quality PSU and be done with it.

of what Kendrak listed, I would suggest looking at the Seasonic X650 the most. Followed by the EarthWatts

of what Kendrak listed, I would suggest looking at the Seasonic X650 the most. Followed by the EarthWatts

And I'd probably look at the Corsair the most. These are all three great choices for a budget high quality PSU.

I had a TX750 once, very nice unit. That was the first revision, though.

I've had about a dozen of these first gen TX750's and have only ever had to RMA one of them. I still use them in 90% of my boxen that I'm running in the house. Solid units, and well worth the investment.

I guess I'm late to the party, but skimming over the thread, your on your 3rd card, overclocking them(killing them in the process) and are just getting to a new psu?

Even if you go overkill, a quality PSU will last for years to come. Cheap crap won't last w/ folding, especially when overclocking and folding at the same time. Also, what are you using to monitor your temps and what are they at? There IS a thermal limit on most nvidia cards to downclock based on heat...

+1 on the Corsair love, I've had four in total (HX 750s/950s/1k), three still running (one 750 sold to upgrade to a 1k) all of them pushing 2 or 3 dedicated folding GPUs for years.

I've got 5 GTX460s spinning and I found that I could OC higher than my current standard (1600 shaders), but at a loss of stability and higher temperatures. In the end it just wasn't worth all the babysitting (2D downclocks/VPU recovers/WU EUE) required for a few more PPD. I did have 6 running, but one recently started throwing VPU recovers, even at stock clocks, so I've retired it.

Also, what are you using to monitor your temps and what are they at? There IS a thermal limit on most nvidia cards to downclock based on heat...

I use MSI afterburner for temp monitoring and overclocking. I've removed the stock HSF and replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Accellero Extremem PLUS II (which is overkill for a mid-length card). While OC'ed and folding, along with the OC'ed and folding CPU, the temps on the GPU hover around 70-75. CPU temps are around 50-55.

I use MSI afterburner for temp monitoring and overclocking. I've removed the stock HSF and replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Accellero Extremem PLUS II (which is overkill for a mid-length card). While OC'ed and folding, along with the OC'ed and folding CPU, the temps on the GPU hover around 70-75. CPU temps are around 50-55.

This furthers the evidence for "dirty" power killing off your hardware.

I just bought the TX750. I'm using Amazon's 1-month Prime trial to see if I like their Instant Video selection, so free 2-day shipping was a nice bonus. I paid an extra $3.99 for 1-day shipping. I was out the door for <$94.

I just bought the TX750. I'm using Amazon's 1-month Prime trial to see if I like their Instant Video selection, so free 2-day shipping was a nice bonus. I paid an extra $3.99 for 1-day shipping. I was out the door for <$94.

Pro :cool:

Back