GTX 460 768MB Enough? or 1gb...

I say get whatever is decent at a cheap price. I picked up the 768MB GTX 460 because I got it for $121 after all discounts. There was a deal about a week back for a $146 768MB version (evga) w Metro 2033.

I would wait till the next hot deal on the 768MB version. There will always be better cards and over the long haul, prices will just keep dropping

Where the heck do you find these deals, is what I want to know. $230 GTX 470, now $121 GTX 460-768? Where do you go for these?? :eek:

We have a sub forum just for Hot Deals here. I usually look on Slickdeals though. Lots more deals on there and they usually show up there (or Fatwallet) quicker.

My $121 was a fluke. I bought it when Bing cashback was still around and combined it with the Entertainment book coupon ($20 off of a $200 or more purchase). I bought the EVGA version that came with a Just Cause 2 coupon but they messed up and sent me two fillers (a memory card case) and two coupons for Just Cause 2. Sold both coupons for about $35 after paypal fees.

They also forgot to deduct the $20 coupon so I got bing on the $200 order (they did fix the $20 discount though). The $146 deal is just as good though because its guaranteed (my price was mostly from getting the 2nd coupon) and you could sell the Metro 2033 code for about $10.

I expect that you will see similar deals or maybe even lower. Just keep checking the Hot Deals forum here because the best videocard deals usually get posted here also.

We have a sub forum just for Hot Deals here. I usually look on Slickdeals though. Lots more deals on there and they usually show up there (or Fatwallet) quicker.

My $121 was a fluke. I bought it when Bing cashback was still around and combined it with the Entertainment book coupon ($20 off of a $200 or more purchase). I bought the EVGA version that came with a Just Cause 2 coupon but they messed up and sent me two fillers (a memory card case) and two coupons for Just Cause 2. Sold both coupons for about $35 after paypal fees.

They also forgot to deduct the $20 coupon so I got bing on the $200 order (they did fix the $20 discount though). The $146 deal is just as good though because its guaranteed (mine price was mostly from getting the 2nd coupon) and you could sell the Metro 2033 code for about $10.

I expect that you will see similar deals or maybe even lower. Just keep checking the Hot Deals forum here because the best videocard deals usually get posted here also.

Darn, I thought maybe it was a reproducible deal. The $146 isn't quite as good because even if you sell it off for $10 it's $136, but yeah that was a nice deal, not quite at the level of your epic $121 deal, though. :)

I picked up the 768MB GTX 460 because I got it for $121 after all discounts.

I'd like to strangle you!!! jk :D but where?

So far my best deal is $185 after $10mir for 460 768MB lifetime warranty eligible for step up, and then i will probably pay the difference for a 470 or 480...

or

the gtx 470 for $250, is it worth almost twice as much? wasnt there a benchmark stating how much percent each card was better than the others?

Last edited:
Word to the wise:

When you get your copy of Metro 2033 on steam, disable the automatic updates.

They just issued a patch 2 days ago and now many folks (including myself) cannot play.

The game crashes with a video error.

I'd like to strangle you!!! jk :D but where?

from CompUSA. This was in July back when Bing cashback was still working. Coupon came from the Entertainment 2010 book. They have a $10 off $100 (Circuit City), $20 off $200 (CompUSA) and a $30 off $300 (Tigerdirect). I believe the 2011 versions have them also but not sure. Got the entertainment book for free also through another slickdeal.

Do you think, considering I can finance the gtx 470 at $250 it is worth the difference in price vs the 460 768mb for $185? Remember I will be unable to SLI.

The advantage the 460 has is I will be eligible for the upgrade program, and be able to choose 470 or 480 in 90 days if i wish, and if prices come down it will go by the newer prices right?

Also, what would you say between the evga 460 768mb (eligible for upgrade) for $185, or the palit 1024mb for $175 AR, and then im stuck with it (no upgrade)

Last edited:
At 19x12 resolution for Metro 2033, I would prefer more VRAM:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Axle/GeForce_GTX_460_768_MB/27.html

The 768MB just runs into a brick wall at the tested setting, though you COULD just turn off AA and save a load of VRAM usage in the process and thus make it usable again... also, none of those framerates are really playable anyway.

Yeah, its pretty irrelevant if a 768mb GTX460 hits a brick wall and runs at 5fps if the 1gb is still only 18fps... they're both unplayable.

Yeah, its pretty irrelevant if a 768mb GTX460 hits a brick wall and runs at 5fps if the 1gb is still only 18fps... they're both unplayable.

For this game yes, but it won't always be that way. There was a thread very recently about someone who upgraded from a 640MB card to a slightly faster card with 512MB and wound up DEcreasing framerates in STALKER Complete 2009 Mod, and apparently what happened was that STALKER C2009 was taking up more than 512MB but less than 640MB of VRAM. I believe it was playable before but unplayable after. So sometimes that extra VRAM can make the difference between playable and unplayable. But I think we're in agreement that OP may want to avoid both of them and just get the 1GB GTX460 or faster.

Do you think, considering I can finance the gtx 470 at $250 it is worth the difference in price vs the 460 768mb for $185? Remember I will be unable to SLI.

The advantage the 460 has is I will be eligible for the upgrade program, and be able to choose 470 or 480 in 90 days if i wish, and if prices come down it will go by the newer prices right?

Also, what would you say between the evga 460 768mb (eligible for upgrade) for $185, or the palit 1024mb for $175 AR, and then im stuck with it (no upgrade)

My vote: get the 768MB -AR card and don't look back. Comes with free Metro 2033 (evga site), Just Cause 2 (combo coupon) and Starcraft 2 trial (add to cart and coupon's there)... link

Last edited:
like I said earlier, you will exceed 768mb in Metro 2033 at playable settings for the gtx460. there are at least 4 or 5 other games where I have seen vram exceed 768mb at what would be playable settings too. and again its the additional memory bandwidth and ROP performance not just the amount of vram that also makes a difference.

the 768mb models keep going on sale because they are not selling well compred to the 1gb models. most people realize that they will already come up short in some current games at 1920x1080 or higher. saving money over the 1gb model for a card that is not going to meet your needs in EVERY game that you play doesn't seem very sensible in the long run.

Last edited:

Only you can decide what a card is worth to you. You've seen the benchmarks so take your time to decide. For me, I would never consider financing a videocard. I buy everything from savings

Saving money over the 1gb model for a card that is not going to meet your needs in EVERY game that you play doesn't seem very sensible in the long run.

Makes sense. The way some people post on this site makes it seem like you can only choose between max settings and low. I rarely see anyone say that you can take X card and lower some settings to keep fps over 30.

If you need to finance a video card, then maybe you shouldn't be looking to get one right now. I'm no major bread winner by any means, but it just seems very silly to finance a video card.

No one is saying anything about the step-up program, but I think I the 768mb may be my best bet that way if I want I can step up to a 470 or 480

I have both an tried them each in the main rig. No difference except when cranking up AA and AO settings, maybe a few frames per second in BFBC2, JC2 and Borderlands. Unfortunately I can't give you a good comparison at your desired resolution as I game on an older 16x12 LCD. Since you plan to step-up 'future-proof' shouldn't matter.

I think it's pretty relevant as developers increasingly move towards higher memory bandwidth. To me, 768Mb seems far too low for a 460. Right now, it's generally within 10% of the 1 gig model at high resolution and with AA, but I believe that this gap will increase over the next year.

However, if all that you can afford is the 768, then it's still a great card. I chose the 1Gb because I got it at a great price.

something else you people defending the 768mb model don't seem to get is that its not just the few fps at hand here. when you hit the vram wall your game will hitch a bit and that doesn't always show up in benchmarks. it seems silly to buy a card because you want good performance at 1920x1080(or higher) and then not be able to get all that performance because the card is gimped. Fallout 3 with texture mods, GTA 4, Clear Sky and Metro 2003 are just a few examples that I know settings would have to be reduced at 1920x1080 compared to the 1gb model.

something else you people defending the 768mb model don't seem to get is that its not just the few fps at hand here. when you hit the vram wall your game will hitch a bit and that doesn't always show up in benchmarks. it seems silly to buy a card because you want good performance at 1920x1080(or higher) and then not be able to get all that performance because the card is gimped. Fallout 3 with texture mods, GTA 4, Clear Sky and Metro 2003 are just a few examples that I know settings would have to be reduced at 1920x1080 compared to the 1gb model.

I agree a 1GB card or better for 19x12 or higher. For some reason the final area where 768 is acceptable in a few of these new dx11 apps is at 1080p (1920x1080) @ 2.07 Million pixels. vs 1920x1280 2.45 Million pixels I will say that I do not recommend the 5830. Even with the 256mb advantage and the ram running out the card still loses to GTX 460 in those games. I'd say with amd the 5850 or better. Or wait til the 6000 series come out. Rumor says the 6770 or whatever is gonna be called will hit first.

Last edited:
Thanks, so now i'm just lookin for a good deal on a 1gb, I'm gonna wait till Tigerdirect announces their sales tomorrow, and if theres nothin, I'm just gonna have to pay over $200.

I agree a 1GB card or better for 19x12 or higher. For some reason the final area where 768 is acceptable in a few of these new dx11 apps is at 1080p (1920x1080) @ 2.07 Million pixels. vs 1920x1280 2.45 Million pixels I will say that I do not recommend the 5830. Even with the 256mb advantage and the ram running out the card still loses to GTX 460 in those games. I'd say with amd the 5850 or better. Or wait til the 6000 series come out. Rumor says the 6770 or whatever is gonna be called will hit first.

Given that Charlie specifically said the new Juniper-analogous part will come out first, and given the estimated ~30% speed boost, that means AMD will soon have a part that is analogous to the GTX 460 1GB part, and probably for cheaper. (460-1GB is ~29% faster than 5770.) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1545116

I went ahead and ordered the EVGA 460 768mb eligible for the step-up program, so I'm hoping the prices of the 470 and 480 will drop within the next 3 months, and then i can only pay the price difference.

With the $15 facebook promotion it was $185 shipped, and there was a $10 rebate, $20 ebillme rebate, and assuming the $20 gift card for the fishy "everyday privileges gold" i signed up for goes through, it will be $135. I think since the reciept says $199 i will only have to pay about $110 to step up to 470, or $300 for the 480, as prices are now.

Speaking from experience, you won't get the deal you think you will get from the step up program. The EVGA list price will stay far above that of current e-tailer's at any given time.

Speaking from experience, you won't get the deal you think you will get from the step up program. The EVGA list price will stay far above that of current e-tailer's at any given time.

I don't know about that... the 470 on evga's website is currently cheaper than both newegg and tigerdirect. So is the 460.

Back