GTX 460/570/580 - simultaneous audio and 4:4:4 chroma from HDMI port?

galneon

n00b
Hello,

I currently have an AMD 5850. It's the first time I've used a non-nvidia card since my Voodoo 3. I regret jumping ship :/

My setup requires I output HDMI audio and Full RGB or YCC 4:4:4 video to my receiver and then pass it along to my 4:4:4 display. With my 5850, I can only output subsampled chroma (RGB Limited or YCC 4:2:2) from the HDMI port of my video card while simultaneously outputting HDMI audio. The only way I can get 4:4:4 chroma out of my 5850's HDMI port is to hack my display or receiver's EDID with an override file and disable HDMI audio. Behavior is the same if I go through my receiver or straight to my display. Using the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI cable to my receiver or straight to my display works fine, but then I'm missing out on 8-channel PCM and bitstreaming, defeating the point of my receiver and surround setup. I'm not willing to return to SPDIF.

TL;DR: Basically, I'm looking for confirmed reports of users getting 4:4:4 chroma (either YCC 4:4:4 or RGB Full) from their GTX 460 (or 570/80) via the HDMI port while simultaneously sending audio along HDMI.

After reading a single report from someone who says he suffers the same problem I suffer on my 5850 on his 460 GTX, I'm worried this is an inherent HDMI limitation. However, if so, it's undocumented.

If you're unsure and you have an HDMI to HDMI connection on your 460/570/580 and send the video/audio signal to an HDMI audio-enabled device (be it a TV or an AVR of spec 1.3 or beyond), please confirm you're getting proper 4:4:4 chroma sampling by taking a photo of the test image here:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6545/444scrolleasy.gif

See if you get straight red pixels, or a multi-colored mess from your close-up photo of the section to the left of the "20". For comparison, here are my photos. The first is proper 4:4:4 taken of my 5850 outputting to my display (or through my AVR, makes no difference) via a DVI to HDMI cable.

proper444.jpg

The second photo is subsampled 4:2:2, my only option when outputting straight HDMI to HDMI with audio, either to my receiver or to my display:

failed444.jpg

Thanks so much to anyone who can give me a definitive answer as to if the 460 will output proper 4:4:4 chroma whilst passing audio. The HTPC crowd largely doesn't care about this, because they mostly watch Bluray discs on their PC. I'm a gamer and regular desktop user, so subsampled chroma is blindingly obvious to me. I also don't want to fall back on SPDIF for audio as ATI users in my position must do. I'm ready to make the jump back to Nvidia, but need a little proof first. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Please note a lot of TVs subsample all chroma to 4:2:2. Make sure yours supports 4:4:4 before trying the test!

Just recently I was looking at 32" 1080P TVs to upgrade my still going strong 20" NEC 20WMGX2.
I came across the problem you are describing reading about LG 32LD45 tv, one of the few supporting 4:4:4… From my understanding there is working hack for nvidia users using “EDID fix”. For more information you would have to follow this thread… I’m sorry but I cannot help you more. Please post your results…

I do own a 40” 1080P bravia which I’m 99.9% sure is not 4:4:4 friendly. I’ll post my result in about a week or so, since I’m still waiting for my GTX460 to arrive…

Thanks amd7674, I'm aware of that EDID hack. I'm a 32LD450 owner, as well :) I PM'd nuker earlier today to see if his EDID hack works when passing HDMI audio along with the video signal, or if he's only tested it with an HDMI to HDMI pure video connection (essentially DVI mode). There's a similar EDID hack to correctly pass HDMI video 4:4:4 from ATI cards, as well, but at the cost of disabling HDMI audio output. This hack is done by changing extension blocks in the EDID override .inf from 1 to 0.

I look forward to your results. Once I get my 460 GTX (I may wait for a 560, just depends on pricing there), I will post my results from the nvidia EDID fix.

Edit: By the way, here's a partial list of some TVs known to support 4:4:4 chroma compiled from AVSF:

* Samsung LN40C630 in PC mode
* Sharp LC-40D68UT
* Sharp PN-E521
* RCA 40LA45RQ
* LG 32LD450
* LG 37LD450
* LG 42LD450
* LG MS203CCBA
* Sony KDL-40EX503 in Game mode
* Sony KDL-40EX503U in Game mode
* Sony KDL-46EX505 in Game mode
* Sony GXDL52H1
* Viewsonic CD5230
* Viewsonic CD5233
* Samsung 550DX
* Samsung 550EX
* NEC S521
* NEC S551
* NEC P551

Some of these not otherwise noted may require PC/Game mode or similar activated on the TV...

Last edited:
wow it looks like there is more than few :eek:

BTW... how is your 32LD450 (i assume IPS pannel) for everyday computer usage? Browsing/office/gaming? I guess its main disadvantage are black levels and some edge bleeding?

I'll post my results as soon as I get my setup.... Currently I have this TV in my bedroom:

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sony-BRAVIA_KDL-40V4100.htm

I believe it is MVA panel...

I adore the LD450 :) I scored the last CUSW (S-IPS) panel in town, I believe. They're being rapidly phased out for the inferior LD400 series which fails the 4:4:4 test. It was an Open Box, but I took a chance and it's immaculate. Main disadvantage is as you said, black levels (like any IPS panel I guess), but edge bleeding is mainly only a result of my current HDMI 4:2:2 connection, or at least I haven't noticed it to be a factor when playing my PS3. Some may be pickier than I in that regard. I did a lot of research and with its ~16ms input lag, it seemed like the perfect multi-use PC/Gaming/Console/TV display, and to my eyes it is :) Highly recommended if you can find an S-IPS one, or a 37 or 42 if those are more to your size.

I just got a PM back from nuker43, the guy at AVSF who posted the nvidia EDID fix. His fix is the same as the AMD EDID fix, which disables audio over HDMI in order to get proper 4:4:4, turning the HDMI port into a DVI port basically. I'm coming to conclude that nvidia and AMD both use the same cheap middleware HDMI library or hardware implementation of HDMI (it certainly isn't the HDMI spec itself at fault here) and that I'm going to have the same problem on my 5850 or a prospective GTX 460/560. This is quite depressing... Seems the only way I can get 4:4:4 chroma AND 8-channel PCM/bit-streaming is to get a Xonar or similar soundcard for HDMI audio and use the DVI port of my graphics card straight to my display.

Last edited:
thanks for your info...... sorry for your finding and good luck

I hope my 20" IPS will last few more years

Back