GTX 295 and Hitman Absolution

oblib__

Weaksauce
So I bought a GTX295 with the hopes it would bring up my frame rate in Hitman Absolution over my 260. However, it doesn't seem to be using both GPUs in the 295, and I'm not seeing any improvement. Any tips?

It's totally not using SLI correctly. I just disabled Multi-GPU in Nvidia control panel, and the benchmark actually performed a couple of FPS faster. Looking at GPU utilization it maxed out one and the other was idle, as expected.

When I run multi-GPU, both cores sit around 50%. How can I convince Hitman to use both GPUs all the way?

What power supply do you have? And how come did you pick up that video card? Last time I checked, this is 2013, not 2009.

I think it's at least 650 W, but that's not the problem -- I can get it to use both cores, just not in Hitman.

You can get some great deals living 4 years in the past :)

I've got a core2quad q9550, and 4gb ram, running Vista Pro.
that cpu will choke big time in Hitman. even my 2500k at 4.4 cannot maintain 60 fps for some areas and thats more than twice the cpu power of a stock Q9550.

I watch the CPU utilization during the benchmark and it sits between 50-75%. The GPU sits right at 50%. So you're right, this game will be CPU bound on my system, but it's not yet.

And yeah, it's possible the Nvidia is shafting me somehow i guess.

Oh, I should add that I'm averaging 27 fps or so in the benchmark, so no not 60 fps by a long shot.

Q9550 is a severe bottleneck at that graphic fidelity. I upgraded from a Q9550 to a 2500k and the results were astonishing. I realize you probably don't to spend the money to get off the LGA775 chipset, but right now you're GTX295 is mostly going to waste.

You're right about sticking with 775, I actually just bought the Q9550. In fact, that's another reason I don't think I've hit the CPU bottleneck yet -- my fps didn't go up any with 4 cores over two when the game is obviously multi-core aware. I can stock clock or overclock the CPU to 3.3 ghz and benchmark doesn't change.

that cpu will choke big time in Hitman. even my 2500k at 4.4 cannot maintain 60 fps for some areas and thats more than twice the cpu power of a stock Q9550.

Considering a GTX 680 can't even maintain 60 FPS with everything maxxed at 1080p, I don't think the CPU is the biggest concern here.

Q9550 is a severe bottleneck at that graphic fidelity. I upgraded from a Q9550 to a 2500k and the results were astonishing. I realize you probably don't to spend the money to get off the LGA775 chipset, but right now you're GTX295 is mostly going to waste.

The q9550 and the GTX295 were released around the same time so its not a waste at all.
The game is not optimized well.

Considering a GTX 680 can't even maintain 60 FPS with everything maxxed at 1080p, I don't think the CPU is the biggest concern here.
lol, I am not some noob here. yes maxed with MSAA and max shadows the game would certainly not stay above 60 fps from a gpu standpoint. I was running settings that my gpu could easily stay above 60 fps on though. the few places where it has dipped below 60 fps on those settings has been because the cpu. I can lower the res to 1280 in those spots and have the same framerate.

Op, what setting are you trying to run it at? because it is a very demanding game.

For testing I'm maxing it out. I usually turn down reflections.and shadow for playing, as I understand those are processor driven functions on this game.

Look at the [H] review of the Titan - with the 6GB of RAM they finally got it to run a good bit of AA. The 295 with 768MB per GPU is severly limited I would think. You mentioned you run it at settings it can handle you said but what is that exactly?

I'd believe that the low amount of shared memory would hinder it, but would that peg the cores at 50% utilization? I'm guessing it's a driver / settings issue. Anyone know any helps there?

Back