GTX 285 still 325-400 dollars on newegg

They will probably lower it once it gets renamed to something like GT350 or something. I wouldn't worry too much shouldn't be too long.

That price is just crazy....I'm a pretty hardcore Nvidia nut....but with the new cards out from ATI, one would have to be crazy to pay that much right now for a 285...

I'm already looking to jump ship and go with a 5870 for my next card.

GTX 285 is Nvidia's flagship single GPU card, and I think it's on par with the 5870's. The price isn't too crazy IMO.

I don't expect to see any major price drops on the current hi-end GTX cards until Nvidia releases their GT300 line.

You are talking about Newegg here. WHat do you expect, that they'll give up the profit margin on those videocards? Once GT300 will be near release only then expect Newegg lower prices on 285s.

5850 is close to GTX285 and costs only $260. I can't believe that it is long time before you see price drop on GTX285.

GTX 285 is Nvidia's flagship single GPU card, and I think it's on par with the 5870's. The price isn't too crazy IMO.

No it's not. The 5850 beats the 285 and takes its lunch money in most benchmarks. The 5850 only costs $259 as well. These prices for the 285 are ridiculous and nobody in their right mind would buy them now unless the prices get slashed significantly.

sqt3yp.png

that is until nvidia starts spreading fud about the 5850 being loud, inefficient, doesnt work in certain games, is optimized for benchmarks, etc, etc.

These prices for the 285 are ridiculous and nobody in their right mind would buy them unless the prices get slashed significantly.
Funny, I guess I'm a nutter! I'm gonna get that ASUS MATRIX card as soon as my check clears.

Funny, I guess I'm a nutter! I'm gonna get that ASUS MATRIX card as soon as my check clears.

That's just fine. Nobody's forcing you to pay more for less performance. :) This country is built on free choice, even if free choice is sometimes non-optimal. Hope you got a wicked discount or MIR to offset buying last year's tech. ;)

Its still called GTX 285?

Weird, I though Nvidia was going to rename it to GTS 385 this week.

My buddy's new 5870 overvolt on a Phenom X4 945 is 25% faster in GPU score than my GTX 280 (overclocked). My i7 @ 4.0 GHz brought my overall scores higher than his though, probably because of PhysX.

My buddy's new 5870 overvolt on a Phenom X4 945 is 25% faster in GPU score than my GTX 280 (overclocked). My i7 @ 4.0 GHz brought my overall scores higher than his though, probably because of PhysX.

If you're talking about 3dMark, that's because it has some Physx benches built-in. Hardware Physx is faster than software physx by a bunch so yeah, that will skew your scores. Run an apples to apples bench without physx and the 5870 will run circles around the 280 and its faster sibling, the 285.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review

That's just fine. Nobody's forcing you to pay more for less performance. :)
If it were just a matter of performance, then I'd go for the 5870 no doubt. But I'd like to continue using the Nvidia 3D Vision driver which obviously don't work on ATI cards. Plus that MATRIX card looks friggin' sick with the LED lights and everything (which will match my case lights, fans, RAM cooler, etc.). Much better aesthetics then pretty much anything else on the market. Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on? This:

asus_matrix285.jpg

Or this:

sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_directx_11_video_card_1-540x405.jpg

Last edited:
The HD 5800 series isnt going to be "widely available" for a couple of weeks (of course, us HardOCP readers will be able to find them). I think this is why we haven't heard anything from Nvidia yet. Dont worry, a response / price drop is almost inevitable.

If you haven't noticed Newegg has low stock on the 285's so their pricing system kicked in :D

So I guess it boils down to whether or not you play PhysX games?

I'm jumping ship and getting a 5850 when they're available in my area. Plan on using my 9600gt as a dedicated physx processor...using the modded drivers of course.

Few weeks ago you could get a gtx285 for like 270(290after tax) from bestbuy outlet. Not sure if they still have them. Newegg is kinda messed up sometimes, they have for ex. open box items that are priced way too high.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102849
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102795R -open box

Sure they aren't the same model, but still, seems like many of those open box were priced as such at some point, and the price never got adjusted when the item came down in price

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on? This:

asus_matrix285.jpg

You obviously picked the ugliest of the 5870 brands for your comparison. Nice cherrypicking. I have this 5870 in my machine and I have no problem with the looks. The lifetime XFX warranty is pretty good too.

14-150-443-03.jpg

Let me know if your 285 even approaches 21K 3dMarks btw.

Vantage4_1ghz5870_9600GSO.jpg

What's going on in the USA with your e-tailer prices? The only PC component e-tailer I hear about for price comparision is NewEgg - is this something specific to [H] or does the popularity of NewEgg represent the state of component competion amongst e-tailers in the US?

In the UK, amongst the major e-tailers, GTX285 prices, ranging from £225 to £305 compare well with ATI5870 with prices ranging between £300 to £320 tax inclusive. In the past you would generally just add 5 to 10% to the UK price and we would get the rough US price in dollars.

In the UK, there is intense competition between major e-tailers so it is hard for any single group to dominiate and elevate prices signficantly so price differentiation is mainly based on marketing and brand name recognition, as well as initial costs. For example, amongst the major UK e-tailers, the price of the GTX285 ranges from £225 (including tax) for engineering focused companies like Asus compared to well over £300 for advertising focused resellers like like evga, bfg etc.

And yes, nVidia does influence prices as well. But it is not the only factor. The fact that NewEgg prices are the most quoted price of components is not a good sign of healthy e-tailer competition.

Last edited:
Newegg is the standard etailer in the US. Newegg has by far the best website and their prices, while not the best, are decent. As a consumer if I want to order some computer crap I go to newegg to decide what I want, then check a few prices against other stores, and unless some other store will save me lots of money I'll order off newegg.

Often it basically ends up being, I can get everything from newegg for $100 or if I split my order up between a few other sites it'll be $92 total. Eg savings aren't worth hassle for me. By the time I'm checking other sites I already have everything in my shopping cart at newegg. I cannot stress how much nicer neweggs site is compared to anyone else. I'm really surprised no one else takes the time to make a decent site.

bexamous: That's quite interesting. I hope the UK and Europe never goes the way of the US and retains competition at the retailer level.

With healthy e-tailer competition in the UK, with everyone trying to attract customers, standards have improved significantly and I have seen significant improvements to what customers recieve, not just in terms of price but also service and benefits (and those that could not compete left).

No wonder you guys in the US are so focused on brand oriented customer service, especially after-sales service, since you have no real e-tailer competition. Competition at all levels is good for the customer.

Demand vs Supply

As soon as people stop buying GTX285, only then will they drop the price. Who cares if the ATI counter part is cheaper/better. I surely don't.

I will never sell my soul to ATI for $50 and few FPS.

I will never sell my soul to ATI for $50 and few FPS.
Nice to see we are not being overly dramatic about it.

Point is well-taken, tho. There is still a market, I guess:

A. Gamers whose souls apparently belong to NVIDIA.
B. Best Buyers looking for "the best card you've got".
C. Old school gamers who care not about DX11, and don't have the patience for reviews anymore.
D. Former (or current) GTX 285-owners who would rather stick with the devil they know.

I'm just waiting for GT260's to go down to $100-$120 so I can replace the 8800GT in one of my PC's.

Saddest/pathetic thing I've read on these forums. But I laughed inside.

Since I'm waiting on i9 I want to see what nVidia has in store before I buy again. Since my sig rig has a 790 chipset and I have 3 280's, a single 5870 would be a down grade overall sans DX 11 which is still a ways away for games.

But I really would like one of these for the Eyefinity, but setting up three monitor for my workspace presents a space issue. I have all of my devices on the left and my work laptop on the right. I simply have too much crap!

That is a very fair price to pay if you want the top card in single GPU. Mine in SLI still rock everything I throw at them on my dual 30's.

Do you walk into a Mercedes or BMW dealership and point at their cars and ask "WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

That is a very fair price to pay if you want the top card in single GPU. Mine in SLI still rock everything I throw at them on my dual 30's.

Do you walk into a Mercedes or BMW dealership and point at their cars and ask "WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

If its last year's model Hell yeah, and I bargain my Mercedes down to its ideal market value which I usually am good at.

Back