GTX 285 still 325-400 dollars on newegg

What would a 5780 do for me?
Besides loosing a copule of features?
Specs in sig...I am dying to hear?

Try reading the many 5870 reviews out there.

If your GTX 285 is adequate for youre needs then good for you.

I have a BNIB BFG GTX285 OC 1GB for $235 +shipping in the FS/FT section, if anyone's interested. Still sealed, full BFG lifetime warranty on it. Never opened, registered, nothing.

Well, that where the price is going to stay for a while it seems. No price cuts until new years is my guess.

It would... if it existed.

You already have a Physx PPU, and your motherboard supports two graphics cards (can use the 285 as a massive ppu... if you want.).

No features would be lost in that case. Only gained.

Wow $397.99
If anyone is considering paying that price for a gtx285 they at least should use those $400 worth of bills as toilet paper first to not waste that much value.

Lets see
1. Better performance in existing plus future games
2. DX11 Support
3. Less power + heat
4. 8-channel LPCM output over HDMI + Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
5. Eyefinity Support

There, I listed 4 for you

I bought my BFG GTX285 OC for $316 ($346 - $30MIR) after MIR early April (2009) from zipzoomfly.com; newegg was expensive and didn't have any worthy deals at the time. I can't believe they're still expensive.

Lets see
1. Better performance in existing plus future games
2. DX11 Support
3. Less power + heat
4. 8-channel LPCM output over HDMI + Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
5. Eyefinity Support

There, I listed 4 for you

Those are good points, but I'd still throw out 2 and 4. DX11 games aren't out yet, and probably won't be for a while. 4. is only useful if you have a receiver, which Atech doesn't have.

1., 3., and 5. (since Atech lists multiple monitors in his sig) should be enough (provided he's not trolling).

If it were just a matter of performance, then I'd go for the 5870 no doubt. But I'd like to continue using the Nvidia 3D Vision driver which obviously don't work on ATI cards. Plus that MATRIX card looks friggin' sick with the LED lights and everything (which will match my case lights, fans, RAM cooler, etc.). Much better aesthetics then pretty much anything else on the market. Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.
When you game, do you A) have your PC caseless, or B) stare at the card instead of the monitor? Because if you answered no to both those questions, how does having "LED lights and everything" make a difference? And more pertinently, how does that make it worth paying roughly the same price for less performance?

I will never sell my soul to ATI for $50 and few FPS.
Yeah. Pity you sold it to NVidia isn't it?

When you game, do you A) have your PC caseless, or B) stare at the card instead of the monitor? Because if you answered no to both those questions, how does having "LED lights and everything" make a difference? And more pertinently, how does that make it worth paying roughly the same price for less performance?

obviously, he has to look at the video card when he wanks

Just picked up a hardly used GTX285 pulled from a Gateway for $200. :D

Would it be worth it to keep my 8800GTX and use it for PhysX when possible, etc or better to try to sell it?

Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.

Yeah, it does sound dumb. I don't care if it looks like a roasted ham wearing sunglasses, if it performs well I'll stuff it in my case. Reality is-- how often do you stare into your case? Generally, I look at the monitor.

Just picked up a hardly used GTX285 pulled from a Gateway for $200. :D

Would it be worth it to keep my 8800GTX and use it for PhysX when possible, etc or better to try to sell it?

Use it for physx, couldn't hurt. I'd imagine you wont get much for the GTX anyway.

Yeah, it does sound dumb. I don't care if it looks like a roasted ham wearing sunglasses, if it performs well I'll stuff it in my case. Reality is-- how often do you stare into your case? Generally, I look at the monitor.

I have a black enclosed case with no windows...guess how much I look at my hardware? ;)
Last time i looked at it...was when I assembled it all:

I really can't wrap my head around why people care what their hardware looks like. It boggles my mind that someone would buy a lesser performing product over another just because it looks "friggin' sick". Then again, I'm of the opinion that windowed or lighted cases are played out and ass-ugly in general.

I really can't wrap my head around why people care what their hardware looks like. It boggles my mind that someone would buy a lesser performing product over another just because it looks "friggin' sick". Then again, I'm of the opinion that windowed or lighted cases are played out and ass-ugly in general.

I don't get it...I think it's a teen menality...just like the last copule of NFS games...all *bling" pimp my pixel-ride *bling*..and no substance.
Thankfully NFS - Shift changed that.

I'm 52 and I have a Antec 182SE and Antec 1200 with blue case fans.
My Harleys have chrome up the behind. My Para-Ordnance P14 is polished to look like chrome. I was teased that it was my pimp gun.

I knew there was a couple of people I forgot to ask what I should buy for myself... :rolleyes:
The world doesn't revolve around me, but I buy what I want.

I don't get it...I think it's a teen menality...just like the last copule of NFS games...all *bling" pimp my pixel-ride *bling*..and no substance.
Thankfully NFS - Shift changed that.
They didn't remove it entirely, and the decal stuff works a bit better now. But yeah, it's about the race now. EA, I love you guys for that. It's about friggin time.

Windowed cases... I don't get excited by those anymore. I've owned windowed cases, some lighted but they all lived underneath my desk so all the bling generally went unnoticed.

If it were just a matter of performance, then I'd go for the 5870 no doubt. But I'd like to continue using the Nvidia 3D Vision driver which obviously don't work on ATI cards. Plus that MATRIX card looks friggin' sick with the LED lights and everything (which will match my case lights, fans, RAM cooler, etc.). Much better aesthetics then pretty much anything else on the market. Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on? This:

asus_matrix285.jpg

Or this:

sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_directx_11_video_card_1-540x405.jpg

Aestetics over performance... sure... do you own a MAC as well?

Aestetics over performance... sure... do you own a MAC as well?

You just made me haha at work. Good thing everybody already thinks I'm crazy lol

True statement. Aesthetics over performance..?! I suppose some don't really care about actually playing the game so much as they care about how things look inside the case while they're playing it... but isn't that what modding is for? You buy premium hardware and then customize!

"Why is card x not discounted now that card y is out?" is asked EVERY SINGLE TIME a next gen part comes out. This has been happening since as long as I can remember, going back to Voodoo days. I thought I'd posted an end-all-be-all response to put questions like this to bed a while back, but doesn't look like the OP never saw the message.

In a nutshell, while production of GTX 285 has all but halted, demand for the product is still present. This means the price will remain relatively constant, and will eventually even increase. Also keeping the current price stable is the fact that people are still looking for the card if they already own a 285 for SLI.

I just purchased a GTX 285, and paid $379cnd. Sure, I could have gotten better ATI hardware for less, or the 5870 for $50 more, but for me it's pure comfort buying an NV product. While neither of the companies are perfect, I've never had issues with NV cards, or their drivers. I'm not oblivious to the fact that ATI has better hardware out, and for near the same price as the 285, but I'm just not convinced with ATI's drivers. When I've been purchasing a new card, I'm reminded of the Rage/Radeon days when ATI had issues with the drivers, but it's stuck with me and I still don't believe ATI is on par now.

I just purchased a GTX 285, and paid $379cnd. Sure, I could have gotten better ATI hardware for less, or the 5870 for $50 more, but for me it's pure comfort buying an NV product. While neither of the companies are perfect, I've never had issues with NV cards, or their drivers. I'm not oblivious to the fact that ATI has better hardware out, and for near the same price as the 285, but I'm just not convinced with ATI's drivers. When I've been purchasing a new card, I'm reminded of the Rage/Radeon days when ATI had issues with the drivers, but it's stuck with me and I still don't believe ATI is on par now.

When was the last time you owned an ATI card? Do you realize that people spew this "driver issues" nonsense about are often hearsay? They heard brand loyalist besmirch the name of the competing company in order to justify their choice in hardware (which may or may not be better than the competions offerings). The truth is, both Nvidia and ATI build quality parts and for the most part quality drivers. Sure, there are many who encountered problems with both companies product lines but that does not justify the senseless devotion to one company.

You dont believe that ATI is on par with Nvidia offerings when the factual evidence supports the contrary. Both companies offer great products and the reality of it all is that you are a brand loyalist who would rather spend a ridiculous amount of money more than a card from the competition that offers a significantly measurable performance increase. That is just irrational decision making.

Preference. I've owned some ATI products (3870/2900XT/Radeon 32mb) and I've owned Nvidia cards, in the end getting a better experience on NV cards. GTA4 being one of my fav games right now, I've run it on the 3870, and I've run it on 8800 line cards, and the 3870 gave me more graphical glitches then anything. (Yes, I did try numerous drivers)
"My" experience with ATI drivers has not been a great one, and knowing ATI has had and in my opinion still do, issues with their drivers, that is what diverted me from picking up the 5870. ATI builds great hardware, I just don't feel like they put the same effort into their drivers. Just my opinion and preference.

When was the last time you owned an ATI card? Do you realize that people spew this "driver issues" nonsense about are often hearsay? They heard brand loyalist besmirch the name of the competing company in order to justify their choice in hardware (which may or may not be better than the competions offerings). The truth is, both Nvidia and ATI build quality parts and for the most part quality drivers. Sure, there are many who encountered problems with both companies product lines but that does not justify the senseless devotion to one company.

You dont believe that ATI is on par with Nvidia offerings when the factual evidence supports the contrary. Both companies offer great products and the reality of it all is that you are a brand loyalist who would rather spend a ridiculous amount of money more than a card from the competition that offers a significantly measurable performance increase. That is just irrational decision making.

I really can't wrap my head around why people care what their hardware looks like.
Some people take pride in the projects they build. Be it designing and building an actual bridge or a computer. I suspect that if you applied these concepts to "real life", you will understand this.

It boggles my mind that someone would buy a lesser performing product over another just because it looks "friggin' sick". Then again, I'm of the opinion that windowed or lighted cases are played out and ass-ugly in general.
I can understand this view, but not the extreme "boggles my mind" view.

Would you take something "ass-ugly" over something elegant that was 5% slower? Why pay more than $30 for a computer case? Performance is similar to $200 cases and you can always add 5 (ass-ugly) fans around and leave the door open to get even better performance. And there is a market for Macs out there for a reason. There is a market for Mac's for a reason.

I don't think you've through this through very well if any this "boggles your mind". Look around and you'll see why.

p.s. Back on topic, of course I'd get a 5870 if I were to buy a GPU today. And as I see no reason to ever compromise here, of course I'd get a model that looks good as well (and they all do anyway).

Back