GTX 285 still 325-400 dollars on newegg

I was lucky enough to find a pair of used single board EVGA 285s for $400 total a couple of months ago.

So they are out there to be had if you don't mind used.

That is a very fair price to pay if you want the top card in single GPU.
I absolutely agree, and for a 5870, that is a great price . . . wait, what? This thread is about what card? Oh. Well, that makes no sense at all, then.

Last edited:
If it were just a matter of performance, then I'd go for the 5870 no doubt. But I'd like to continue using the Nvidia 3D Vision driver which obviously don't work on ATI cards. Plus that MATRIX card looks friggin' sick with the LED lights and everything (which will match my case lights, fans, RAM cooler, etc.). Much better aesthetics then pretty much anything else on the market. Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on? This:

Or this:

sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_directx_11_video_card_1-540x405.jpg

http://hera.hardocp.com/showthread.php?t=1453206
+ check out my sig

Last edited:
That is a very fair price to pay if you want the top card in single GPU.

Maybe if we were still stuck in 2008. Get with the present times. 5850 takes the 285's lunch money and costs LESS money. And the 5870 is so far beyond the 285 that it enters 295 performance territory.

Do you walk into a Mercedes or BMW dealership and point at their cars and ask "WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Yes you do, when the Ferrari at the dealer across the street is only 60 bucks more and blows its doors off. And when the Corvette that is sold at that same competing dealer actually costs 60 bucks less but goes faster than either of those (280 or 285). :) Yeah nice metaphors. See what happens when they are used correctly?

I was lucky enough to find a pair of used single board EVGA 285s for $400 total a couple of months ago.

$200 would be a fair price for a brand new 285 right about now, considering the new performance map. So you got a fair deal for them.

Yes you do, when the Ferrari at the dealer across the street is only 60 bucks more and blows its doors off. And when the Corvette that is sold at that same competing dealer actually costs 60 bucks less but goes faster than either of those (280 or 285). :) Yeah nice metaphors. See what happens when they are used correctly?

No! I am a sheepish nvidiot zealot! I cannot accept this! nVidia forever!

or

great metaphor analysis :cool:

Yes you do, when the Ferrari at the dealer across the street is only 60 bucks more and blows its doors off.
QFT.

What's most offending, though, is that there are actually Ferraris across the street that are faster and cheaper.

thats for 2x 512mb cards and jive watercooling.

So 120USD card x2
That leaves... about 120 (after rebate) for the WC setup.

If it weren't from ECS, then it would be a decent deal for a first timer.

But 2 gts250 (basically 2 9800gtx cards) do not need WC in the first place...

EDIT: looks like mostly thermaltake parts. so maybe it is worth it. Too bad about the 9800gtx rebrands, though.
and since it is WC, why is there still a fan? (it that to 'trick' the card?)

"Yes you do, when the Ferrari at the dealer across the street is only 60 bucks more and blows its doors off. And when the Corvette that is sold at that same competing dealer actually costs 60 bucks less but goes faster than either of those (280 or 285). Yeah nice metaphors. See what happens when they are used correctly?"

Well this metaphor doesn't really work because these bizarre things do go on in the real world. Put a Z06 next to a Ferrari 599 or put a GTR next to a 911 Turbo and there is no logical reason anyone would buy the Ferrari or Porsche.

"Yes you do, when the Ferrari at the dealer across the street is only 60 bucks more and blows its doors off. And when the Corvette that is sold at that same competing dealer actually costs 60 bucks less but goes faster than either of those (280 or 285). Yeah nice metaphors. See what happens when they are used correctly?"

Well this metaphor doesn't really work because these bizarre things do go on in the real world. Put a Z06 next to a Ferrari 599 or put a GTR next to a 911 Turbo and there is no logical reason anyone would buy the Ferrari or Porsche.
Alot of people don't like American junk cars. Italian and German cars > American.

Anyways your logic can go either way even going to trivial factors such color and type of interior options. Original metaphor was lame to begin with, the metaphor should be about last year's model vs new of near matching prices, not just the 'type or make' of car,.

Last edited:
Alot of people don't like American junk cars. Italian and German cars > American.

Anyways your logic can go either way even going to trivial factors such color and type of interior options. Original metaphor was lame to begin with, the metaphor should be about last year's model vs new of near matching prices, not just the 'type or make' of car,.
Your point is well-taken, but let's belabor this a bit more, shall we?

The problem with simply comparing a year-old model to a new model is that there are plenty of year-old models that are still vastly superior performers and hold greater value than current-year models. Being a year old, in and of itself, does not make a car a poor choice. Nor does it make a video card a poor choice. The problem is inferior performance paired with an inflated price-point.

GTX 285 is Nvidia's flagship single GPU card, and I think it's on par with the 5870's. The price isn't too crazy IMO.

The GTX 285 is not anywhere close to the 5870. Just because you close your eyes and believe something with all your might doesn't make it true.

If it were just a matter of performance, then I'd go for the 5870 no doubt. But I'd like to continue using the Nvidia 3D Vision driver which obviously don't work on ATI cards. Plus that MATRIX card looks friggin' sick with the LED lights and everything (which will match my case lights, fans, RAM cooler, etc.). Much better aesthetics then pretty much anything else on the market. Sounds dumb but for the kind of money I've dropped on my rig I want this crap to look good.

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on?

Do you have kids?

*crosses fingers whilst praying*

Last edited:

Pussy Factor, at the end of the day your still driving a Chevy.

(I would buy the z06)

I absolutely agree, and for a 5870, that is a great price . . . wait, what? This thread is about what card? Oh. Well, that makes no sense at all, then.

Clearly many people still believe that the 285 is the fastest single card out there. Because they refuse to buy ATI.

Pussy Factor, at the end of the day your still driving a Chevy.

(I would buy the z06)

Well if you consider these to be sports cars designed for performance, the z06 will still destroy the 599 for 1/billionth the cost. GTR was pretty much designed as a car that is better than the Turbo for 1/2 the cost.

And as for all the American junk comments, they fail comparing Nissan to Porsche, Nissan is 100% more reliable than Porsche.

Gimmie a technical reason how 599>z06 or Turbo>GTR. If you want to go to "american junk" and such, how about "ATI cards are for pussies". Or "Nvidia cards are for pussies" however you want to phrase it.

Lol this is all silly but whateva :).

(edit, btw yes z06 and 599 are real close, FastestLaps has one barely beating the other, i forget which way, but if you really want to try to justify the 70k vs 300k pricing, how about replace z06 w/zr1, it would still be an 100k vs 300k car and i really doubt the 599 would be faster on any track.)

Last edited:
You don't buy a Ferrari solely for the speed. Thats like buying a house strictly on the sq footage. Those analogies suck.

You don't buy a Ferrari solely for the speed. Thats like buying a house strictly on the sq footage. Those analogies suck.
Well, it certainly could be argued that video cards are not purchased based solely performance, either. Other factors like brand reputation, special features, even aesthetics might play into a buying decision. I still see plenty of parallels.

Last edited:
yes.... it was. (hopefully I don't sound mean in that...)

The 295 was a dual card.

The 4890 didn't match up in performance.

The 285, however, was just to replace the 280.

Well said.

This whole thread is full of failed analogies and epeenage.
Well, it certainly could be argued that video cards are not purchased based solely performance, either. Other factors like brand reputation, special features, even aesthetics might play into a buying decision. I still see plenty of parallels.

Why do you think the NVIDIA cards are still priced in the stratosphere?

my new single hd 5870 beat out my gtx 260 216 sli setup...go figure. I am waiting for my asus 5850 to show up for my son's pc so I can cf my 2 xfx hd 5870s. I had a gtx 285, that seemed like a long time ago. Old school is cool.....

Nice to see we are not being overly dramatic about it.

Point is well-taken, tho. There is still a market, I guess:

A. Gamers whose souls apparently belong to NVIDIA.
B. Best Buyers looking for "the best card you've got".
C. Old school gamers who care not about DX11, and don't have the patience for reviews anymore.
D. Former (or current) GTX 285-owners who would rather stick with the devil they know.

I am not one of those people that gets easily manipulated by few dollars and few frames per seconds. Few years ago when everyone was buying AMD, I went ahead and put my money on P4. Why? So I can enjoy my i7 today :D

I am not one of those people that gets easily manipulated by few dollars and few frames per seconds. Few years ago when everyone was buying AMD, I went ahead and put my money on P4. Why? So I can enjoy my i7 today :D

That is horrible logic. Seriously, explain to me how this makes any rational sense at all.

Yeah bro, it's too bad I bought an Athlon 64 back in the day, now I'm forced to buy AMD based products for all of eternity.

I'm saying, which would you rather spend $400 on? This:

asus_matrix285.jpg

Or this:

sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_directx_11_video_card_1-540x405.jpg

I'd rather not be foolish enough to spend $400 on a GPU. ;)

Since this is a tech site and video card sub forum, you'll find many who do not think it's foolish to spend on a hobby they enjoy.

I can get an unbranded 285 pulled from a Gateway for $215 shipped. Is it a good deal? I would like to upgrade from my 8800GTX...and I like nVidia as I use the Adobe suite often which taps into CUDA. However, I don't buy too often so I want to get the best for my money. Thoughts?

That's a good price. If you're okay with no warranty, I'd say go for it.

I can get an unbranded 285 pulled from a Gateway for $215 shipped. Is it a good deal? I would like to upgrade from my 8800GTX...and I like nVidia as I use the Adobe suite often which taps into CUDA. However, I don't buy too often so I want to get the best for my money. Thoughts?

It's a great deal. It'll be ~2x as fast as your current card.

Clearly many people still believe that the 285 is the fastest single card out there. Because they refuse to buy ATI.

What would a 5780 do for me?
Besides loosing a copule of features?
Specs in sig...I am dying to hear?

Back