GTX 280 droping signal to monitor.

Mike89

Gawd
Just got my EVGA GTX 280 yesterday. I'm having a problem. In 2D everything is fine. When I try to play a game, I can play for a few minutes and then the monitor loses signal to the vid card. I see the no signal message on the monitor. System is still running, I can still hear the game sounds but no video. Looking at the card when this happens, I can see the vid card fan has completely stopped. Hitting the reboot key takes me back into Windows (XP) just fine (no error messages at reboot) and I'm ok again until I try to play a game again. I've never had or even heard of a problem like this. I had previously a 8800GTX and everything ran flawless. The 280 is not overheating at all, nor is the system. I have an Antec 550 watt Neo HE. Dunno if I'm at the limits of the PS and this thing is dropping voltage completely to the vid card in games or if the vid card itself is bad.

Vid card or power supply? Any comments appreciated. My system is in sig.

I have a Corsair 750 watt PS ordered and on it's way to me now from Newegg (the one with the single 60 amp 12v rail).

Given that a 550W power supply is the minimum recommended for a GTX 280, it sounds as if the PSU is not delivering enough juice once the card gets loaded (especially since the fan stops). Keep in mind that the 280 uses very little power in simple 2-D mode, so it's possible for symptoms not to appear until you start gaming.

A Corsair 750W would probably handle the card much more effectively. Good luck!

I got my Corsair TX750w PSU today. Played Mass Effect for about 1 1/2 hours and no drop of signal to monitor. So far so good, as it's the longest I've been able to play a game since I got this card (without the issue). Seems now that the Antec 550 Neo HE just ran out of cajones when asked to run this card. Looks like when the 280 challenged the Antec to a fight, as soon as the 280 threw the first blow, the Antec ran away with it's tail between it's legs. The Corsair is apparently up for it. Hope now I'm good to go.

Glad to hear that a PSU upgrade solved the problem. Now enjoy the games! :)

I am surprised you even thought of using that card with that power supply despite matching the required watts needed power supplies of that range do not go any higher than 26 amps on 12v rail. That card requires at least around 32-40 amps depending on system build

Back