GTX 280 / ATI 4850 pricing

The 7800GTX was the most expensive card I ever purchased, at $600 (after a great deal from Dell + a coupon). I can't say I regretted it as it performed great at the time, there was no cheap competitor that was close in performance and it kept me going longer than any other card (except the 9700pro). But it was a sobering experience when the 7900/7950 line was launched (as you can imagine.) I've never bought another card over 299 before or since, but I admit the GT280 looks to be a similar big jump. The difference will be the AMD launch - they have the potential to offer similar thrills for less.

I will say it was somewhat unreal to have a card at the time that was that much better than everything else available at the time. Sure I could have saved a lot of money by buying a year later, but the excitement has more than faded - really you're paying a lot for the thrill of it - hard to gauge what that's worth to individual people.

Hi All

For what its worth, I won't spend that type of money unless there's a 50% increase in performance.

1. Price is largely determined by what we're willing to pay, competition, and other market forces. The cost of production isn't nearly as important except as a "floor."

2. The "yield problem" has only been reported (to my knowledge) by the standard anti-nv folks with absolutely no evidence beyond "anonymous sources" as usual.

Nah the yield problem might've been from some anti-NV sources but more than a few people who are in the pro-NV camp admitted they'll be hard to come by come launch. How *bad* the problems are, nobody knows. The same sources saying there were yield problems about G92 were right though as in that last teleconference Michael Hara mentioned there were indeed G92 yield problems, just not the type we probably assumed at first.

So yes, yield problems do occur and exist - how much though, we'll never really have answers.

In fact, various sites out there at Computex mentioned that the whispers around were that not every AIB is even going to get them at this point. Nvidia is more concerned with getting rid of G92 stock at this time.

But they are definitely going to get good profit margins on each card - Nvidia always does. Their only concern really is the 4870 being too close to the GTX260 for comfort, and lacking a $200-300 card to compete if the rumored performance is true on the 48xx's.

I'll either go GTX260 or ati's 4870. Depending on how much more the price is for the 260 vs. how close the 4870 performs to it, that will be the deciding factor for me.

I don't have the money to blow over 500 for a card, and I'd like to spend no more than $400.

I'll probably get the 280 anyways though I do realize that even w/ Step Up, i'm spending 700 on that + waterblock. Then again I did have an Ultra

Back