GTX 280 / ATI 4850 pricing

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
ASUS GEFORCE GTX280 1G DDR3 2*DVI-I 512BIT HDTV HDCP PCIE2.0 UPC:N/A ENGTX280/HTDP/1G 2lb VC V1G [New] $656.00 <---- WOW

ASUS EAH4850 HTDI 512M ATI RADEON HD 4850 512MB DDR3 PCIE2.0 DVI HDTV HDCP HDMI UPC:N/A EAH4850/HTDI/512M 5lb VC V12 [New] $221.00 <--- if it performs faster then a 9800gtx then thats good ^^

these are distributer prices in canadian

that confirms that the GTX280 is 512bit mem and 1GTB of it :)

I hope the 4870 isn't too expensive. If possible I want to pick up two from the local best buy to try out.

News here is the CDN price, not the 512bit and 1GB thing that we've known for months :). Good find! Maybe it'll come to the States cheaper than expected ;).

News here is the CDN price, not the 512bit and 1GB thing that we've known for months :). Good find! Maybe it'll come to the States cheaper than expected ;).

you can get 3 4850s for the price of 1 gtx280, i wonder if 3 4850s or 2 4870s will be faster then a single gtx280

Yikes! $221 CAD for the 4850?:( With the weak USD, it's almost certainly not going to be less stateside. I was really hoping for the 199 USD retail for the 4850. Sigh...

Yikes! $221 CAD for the 4850?:( With the weak USD, it's almost certainly not going to be less stateside. I was really hoping for the 199 USD retail for the 4850. Sigh...

even with the weaker USD, canadians pay more for computer parts, it sucks but what can you do? ORDER FROM THE US!!!

That's actually pretty useful, especially since the USD and loony have been at almost pairity since the summer. When I moved from Toronto to the states in 2002, it was .74 US to 1 CDN. Now, the CDN and USD trade places for which is worth more almost weekly.

I want my HD 4870 512 MB or 1 GB for $399 or less.

I'll go for the 260 if I have to drop 800$ on the card and a waterblock.

That's fucking disgusting.

Yes it should be cheaper in the States as we know venders never ever price gouge on hyped new releases...

Well, 221 CAD is 216 USD according to google, so 199 USD is certainly not out of the question ;)

you can get 3 4850s for the price of 1 gtx280, i wonder if 3 4850s or 2 4870s will be faster then a single gtx280

OBR on XS said 4850s in CF (note that its 50 not 70 and its not tri-fire) was faster than GTX 280. Of course the drivers he used may have been crap.

New tech is always over priced by the sellers. Remember the q6600, it was supposed to sell for $260 and it was being sold for $300+ when the price dropped.

WTF. Either the GT280 is really that fast or nVidia is trying to pull a fast one. If ATI's card is faster I hope they spoil nVidia's launch by lifting their NDA early.

Nvidia feeling pretty overconfident it seems. Those prices are more of an insult than rational marketing to me.

The pre-orders for GTX280 seem to be as high as 900$ here in the EU :eek: .. You have to be mentally incapacitated to jump on that wagon.

Well the GX2 was priced at $600 at release even though it wasn't double the performance of the 9800GTX at ~$300 but typically high end enthusiast cards are going to be priced a lot more than their performance would indicate, but when you're at the top, you can really charge whatever you want that's reasonable

Hey at least we're gone from the $900 card releases...

Hey at least we're gone from the $900 card releases...
I hope you're right. Refresh cards have always been more affordable than the next big thing and this 280 is the next big thing while the last few releases over the past year have been rehashes of the same tech with minor improvements. I have a feeling we'll see the usual price gauging at launch time. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not too worried about it, unless all the new games require that much power to run then I can wait a while before I upgrade.

GTX260 ftw imo, I bought a GTS last time. I'll be getting the little brother this time as well (looks to be the better deal too so far). I still need to see benchies!!! <3

That's fucking disgusting.

approx $1200 for SLI gtx280, no thanks ill pass.
8800GTX SLi was $1300 at launch. Plus the cost of the the new power supply that most of us needed to power them at that time.

Not sure why everyone's so surprised that top performance has remained top-price. If AMD/ATi had a card that could beat it in raw performance, we might see the high end come down. But expecting the premium card to cost less just because nvidia wants to make you feel warm and fuzzy? That's unlikely.

I bought two 8800gtxes at release for even a little more than this will cost me. And it turned out to be a great buy for over eighteen months of top-notch performance.

Where are all the complaints about the premium people pay for the top-notch CPU vs the lower tiers? It's the same market principle at play.

Man, I miss the days when one was able to walk in to a B&M store and buy the top-end card for $400.

approx $1200 for SLI gtx280, no thanks ill pass.

Given that a single GTX 280 will already be able to run Crysis at 1920x1200 Very High settings and that your sig doesn't presently indicate you're running SLI (so I assume you're not), wtf do you need SLI for? GTX 280 SLI looks like it will pretty much be reserved for the 30" 2560x1600 crowd or those who want 8xMSAA at 1920x1200 in the most demanding of games.

I think based on the price alone Nvidia will be the faster card.

Lord knows there's peeps who will pay the 50% price difference for 15-20% more speed.

i'll probably step up the 9800GTX i have laying around in another rig to get it though I don't know which rig I'm going to throw it in yet since I'm also waiting on results from the 4870's - will make sure I read reviews first because Crysis isn't my #1 priority - if its optimized for Crysis but is a dissapointment in other games, then I'll ahve to reconsider

Let's say it goes down $50 in three months.

That's $16/month.

I'll gladly pay $16/month to have the card now. :D

I expect it to drop much more than that by Christmas which is when I would expect to buy it.

I'll probably grab the GTX260 then... A sizeable increase over my 8800GTS 640... At least 2x as fast!

With the card at 500$, and the waterblock at 150$... I can't exactly afford a 900$ SINGLE GPU setup.

even with the weaker USD, canadians pay more for computer parts, it sucks but what can you do? ORDER FROM THE US!!!

Not for most video cards and hard drives. So, in this case, it'll probably be equal to the US price, although maybe not at launch.

Edit: Where'd you get these prices anyways?

When is aftermarket cooling coming out for the GTX 260 / 280? I'm building a semi quiet rig with quality 120mm fans and a noctua cpu cooler and would hate to be forced to use the stock cooler for an extended period of time.

Werent the high prices due to the huge die size and bad yields?
1. Price is largely determined by what we're willing to pay, competition, and other market forces. The cost of production isn't nearly as important except as a "floor."

2. The "yield problem" has only been reported (to my knowledge) by the standard anti-nv folks with absolutely no evidence beyond "anonymous sources" as usual.

Back