GTX 275 to GTX 560 worth it?

pclov3r

Limp Gawd
Is going form a GTX 275 to a GTX 560 worth it?

I'm unsure if it is

I also thought about waiting until my birthday which is around April and Kelper should be out hopefully by then.

System:

8gb DDR3
Asus P8P67 Pro

What does your GTX 275 not do? Likely will never notice a difference under single monitor gaming. Wait for the GTX 660 or GTX 760.

DX11 would be nice but i don't know if it's necessary.

I think I'm going to hold off until April and see whats out. At the time I'll have more cash to spend.

I want like 1.5 GB of video ram. I think 1GB is to little.

I'm really fond of my 560. Very good temps, overclocks pretty well (1000c) and power consumption should be much less than your 275 if I'm not mistaken. Furthermore, load temps will be quite a bit lower (low to mid 60's if your gaming)

I'm fairly certain nvidia won't be releasing any new GPU's in/around April. The new I.B. processors are supposed to be out, but I've yet to hear a single thing from nvidia about 6xx or 7xx for shipment around April.

if you have a gtx275 then it is not much of an upgrade to a just a gtx560. if you decide to buy now then you should look at the gtx560ti 448sp as the minimum card to get.

if you have a gtx275 then it is not much of an upgrade to a just a gtx560. if you decide to buy now then you should look at the gtx560ti 448sp as the minimum card to get.

I second this. As a matter of fact, this is exaclty what I'm doing right now. My 448 is on it's way to replace my GTX275.

If you're willing to spend $300 for a 560ti 448 cores you should spend $300 instead on 2x 6870 for Crossfire. The 6870 cards are $139.99 after rebate.

Check out how 6870 CrossFire compares to a single 560ti 448 cores from Anand's test. It's really not even close.

many people, including myself, have no desire to fool with multi gpu setups. I would much rather have the gtx560ti 448sp for 270 bucks than to fool with 6870 crossfire.

tomana, you obviously do not know what I mean about fooling with multi gpu setups. I am pretty sure a monkey could figure out how to enable it but that has nothing to do with what I am referring to which is consistent performance.

tomana, you obviously do not know what I mean about fooling with multi gpu setups. I am pretty sure a monkey could figure out how to enable it but that has nothing to do with what I am referring to which is consistent performance.

You obviously did not state what you ment about fooling with multi gpu setups. When it comes to setting up multi-cards, I was thinking sheep, more than monkeys :rolleyes:

For anyone with a decent power supply and a large case there's no reason not to get 2 cards. I have a Silverstone FT02B and mATX board which is the ONLY reason I am not crossfire.

For anyone with a decent power supply and a large case there's no reason not to get 2 cards. I have a Silverstone FT02B and mATX board which is the ONLY reason I am not crossfire.
there are certainly reasons not to go dual cards. if there wasn't then nearly every one here would be running more than one card instead of trying to get the fastest single card.

Similarly, I went from 2x4890's to 2x5850's and saw a pretty worthy increase in performance. If you can find one at a good price ($150-$175) you might want to jump in and then maybe do SLI down the road. Also in my secondary computer I went from 2x5770's to 2xGTX460's (overclocked to GTX560 speeds) and found that also to be an overall worthy upgrade. However if you are looking to spend a little more, the Radeon 7870 will likely perform like a Radeon 6970 and retail for $250 (I really think that the 7950 will be $380). From what I've seen, nVidia will likely do the GTX660(760) Ti this year and should see it be a tad faster than the GTX580 and priced at about $270.

I got my GTX460's here: http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20
for a total of $300 for both. They currently have a GTX560Ti for $190, and that will beat a Radeon 5870, Radeon 6950, and GTX470, and you can SLI down the road when GTX560Ti's go down in price you can SLI and perform close to/faster than a Radeon 7970. My 5850's in CFX perform well enough for me to seriously consider NOT upgrading/sidegrading to the 7970.

there are certainly reasons not to go dual cards. if there wasn't then nearly every one here would be running more than one card instead of trying to get the fastest single card.

There are potential problems for sure, but it's a lot better than it has been in the past. Most people just can't forget the problems they had awhile ago.

Anyone who pays their power bill will obviously pay a little extra using two cards compared to if they used a single card. Additionally, given equal MTBF for each card, a dual card is far more likely to have a hardware failure than a single card. That's before you even get into personal preference, performance in specific games, micro-stutter and other variables.

Using your logic, we'd all be running RAID 0 and buying two smaller drives instead of one big drive. There are places that makes sense too, but that also depends on more than just whether or not you have the PSU and space for it.

I understand there are a lot of cases where two cards makes more sense than one, but it's erroneous to say, "For anyone with a decent power supply and a large case there's no reason not to get 2 cards." If the OP has a strong preference for a single card, feel free to suggest two cards, but don't make false blanket statements when you're not immediately agreed with.

Last edited:
I also thought about waiting until my birthday which is around April and Kelper should be out hopefully by then.

Wait!

I think its OK to be current gen or even older gen if the price is right. GTX 460 went for as little as $60AR so a great price for the 560 (non Ti) would be $80~100. At the prices they are selling for these days, hell no!

Would like to ask where I can find these selling prices ...

You want to check the Hot Deals forum here or even better, slickdeals.net.

There haven't been any good deals recently on videocards. 6850 and 6870 have been the closest. Looks like AMD and Nvidia managed their inventory well this time.

Back