GTX 260 NV4.dll infinite loop while in game?

Outamyhead

Supreme [H]ardness
So I was playing Rfactor (getting old, but still a popular sim), then 40 minutes into a run, it locked up, quickly flashed the error message window, and then I could only ALT-Tab once before it was completely locked solid.

Once I had the system restarted, the event viewer showed that the NV4 (something, I have a screen of it at home I haven't uploaded yet).dll had failed after not responding due to an infinite loop?

the other original card was RMA'd for failing in this manner, but it was having problems in 3dmark (the credits showed up as white blocks of nothing scrolling up the screen), and artifacting while in Rfactor, so it was much worse.

And it has taken almost a month of playing other games for over an hour without problems (FEAR, FEAR 2 the demo), something like this should have happened in these fairly demanding games (certainly more demanding than Rfactor anyway).

At this current moment I had uninstalled the current nVidia driver (180.48), used Driver Cleaner to completely remove any traces of it left behind, installed the latest nVidia driver (version 181.22), and had left the system running an infinite loop of 3Dmark 2001 for the last three hours that the wife has told me was still running when she got home on a break?

Anyone got anything more demanding than 3Dmark 2001 to run on a loop?

I did change some settings that I hadn't noticed before (hey I went from a low end...well it's not even entry level now AGP ATI X800, to two GTX260's give me a break), I had just set the nVidia settings to a single display output for the SLI, set the triple buffering as on, and left the SLI GPU settings at the default, don't know if that helped it or not, I guess the only other thing to do is when I get home I start Rfactor up again and play through again for at least two hours and see what happens (that's the normal amount of time that the events last when I race on the weekends).

What is really baffling me is the system ran just fine on the weekend for over an hour in a race, I can't believe that Rfactor of all things is pushing the cards too hard, to the point of developing a problem (temps for the primary card are never above 57 degrees).

I think I fixed it, driver cleaner got rid of all the left over drivers that I was using, switched to the latest 181.22, and then ran the game for almost 2 hours without anything happening, so far so good.

Good work on finding about Driver Cleaner.. an old co worker used to swear by it, that it would fix pretty much everything. And then he suggested it to a guy who had called in about fixing his kitchen sink.

On another note, DDR2 at 400MHz? really?

Got the same problem here with my new MSI 260 GTX core 216. Pretty much every game I have tested crashes to a Black screen after a brief period or screen freezing and sound looping with the following error.

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Tried all the usual items, driver cleaner, multiple drivers, updating sound card drivers, underclocking, etc. Issue is still ongoing. Temps are not a issue as load never gets above 60c. PSU should not be a issue as my 650W powered my 4850 fine and it has a similar power draw to the 55nm 260's. So far no luck. I have been reading how others have had similar issues and new cards corrected the issue, so maybe it is harware with a bad memory module or something on the card? I never see any graphic tearing or artifacts though.

Back