GTX 1660Ti reviews out

The 1660Ti is what might be considered reasonable.
Exactly. I agree that the high-end Nvidia cards were overpriced (even though I bought one) and I can understand the response it got.

But this 1660 Ti is at an affordable price, with good performance in the market segment. It's about 35% faster than the 1060 6GB, and only slightly more expensive.

To me, that sounds reasonable.

And you are just backing up what I said about not being able to grasp the simple point here. I do not give a rat's behind about how it compares to cpu performance increase or any other component...

And I doubt media creators care that much about GPU improvements. Gaming is not the end all of computing.

I don't recall non-gaming PC users pissing and moaning when CPU improvements were 'only' 35% in 2.5 years.

And I doubt media creators care that much about GPU improvements. Gaming is not the end all of computing.

I don't recall non-gaming PC users pissing and moaning when CPU improvements were 'only' 35% in 2.5 years.
You really do have trouble comprehending the context dont you?

This is a thread about a video card.

Consumer video cards are mostly for gaming.

Most people that upgrade their video cards prefer to have a large improvement.

The longer someone has waited then the bigger the improvement they typically expect at the same price point.

The performance improvements for other components is basically irrelevant here.

Last edited:

The longer someone has waited then the bigger the improvement they typically expect at the same price point.

Man, you gotta be really pissed off with the Radeon VII...

Anyway, I think Pascal was "too good" to begin with and Turing is more of a "refinemtent".

Its clear nvidia centered its efforts on RTX and only made minor changes to Volta to build Turing, hopefully Ampere will improve on both sides.

I think the GTX1660Ti is a great upgrade, even coming from a GTX1060Ti. That 30+% can make a difference between playable and unplayable, ultra and high/medium.

Sure 2.5years seems like an eternity, but unfortunately its lack of competition. Hopefully it will get better once intel enters the round

Sure 2.5years seems like an eternity, but unfortunately its lack of competition. Hopefully it will get better once intel enters the round

It's not just lack of competition. It's the slowdown in Moore's Law. This is the era of 14nm, 14nm+, 14nm++, and really from TSMC/GF, the 16/14nm-12nm "transition" is really just 14/16nm+ as well.

The thing that drove the industry for decades is grinding slower, which means those dramatic 50% perf jumps at the same price point, take more like 5 years now, instead of 2.

let's see... let's analyze last 7 years of GPU launches since the GTX 580.

-GTX 580 launched for 500$ (later reduced to 399$ IIRC)

-Kepler was considered a HUGE performance upgrade over Fermi.. however GTX 680 arrived at 500$ and was about 30% - 35% faster than GTX 580. (about another 10% more in favor of gtx 680 once factoring overclock and AIB models)

-GTX 780 launched at 650$ and was about 15% - 20% faster than GTX 680. (add another 20% to GTX 780 factoring overclock) [Kepler was overall praised for efficiency and performance jump]

-GTX 980 launched at 550$ and was about 20% - 30% faster than the GTX 780 it was replacing.

-GTX 1080 launched at 600$/700$ being about 45% - 50% faster than the GTX 980 it was replacing and about 60% factoring overclock.. (even up to 70% on some scenarios)

-RTX 2080 (well.. we know the actual situation of RTX)

so. what we can see here? the thing is pascal was the only anomaly in performance jump.. pascal was just too good, it was better than even nvidia predictions, clocked better at better thermals and power than previous GPUs. we can't actually expect to keep that trend forever, specially when nvidia this time focused on ray-tracing instead of rasterized performance.. in the mid range things were even worse for older GPUS that were actually cheaper... GTX 1060 249$/299$, GTX 960 200$, GTX 760 250$, GTX 660 190$.. and the only huge jump in performance again was from GTX 960 to GTX 1060 which was about 50%.. again, we can't expect to any company to hold that kind of performance uplift gen to gen just because one anomaly uarch that was actually better beyond expectations.

I spent the day benching, and have a new video rendering right now.

Let me just say that after tweaking all the settings, and getting an OC on the card and my machine, I'm seeing exceptional performance at 1080p.

This card is literally a slayer for Full HD, even on Ultra settings in new games from 2019. The video will be uploaded shortly and you can see for yourself.

It's an amazing card for this price segment. Very happy I purchased.

I spent the day benching, and have a new video rendering right now.

Let me just say that after tweaking all the settings, and getting an OC on the card and my machine, I'm seeing exceptional performance at 1080p.

This card is literally a slayer for Full HD, even on Ultra settings in new games from 2019. The video will be uploaded shortly and you can see for yourself.

It's an amazing card for this price segment. Very happy I purchased.

I just grabbed one myself. Its really good value oh guess what. I went to Frys and got another 20% off lol. Got the evga XC model with boost clock at 1845 for $230+ tax. Frys does daily codes for 20% but they excluded video cards from it now, but I used to work there 6 years ago and surprisingly lot of people still work there at the store that I know so she still discounted it by 20% and hooked me up, even though the coupon said video cards excluded. She said dont worry about it, I got you. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

it was 251 out the door for the OC model. with +100 on the core it boosts above 1950 most of the time and memory overclocks all the way to 1500, pretty much maxing out the slider in afterburner. I guess I am never returning this one, totally satisfied.

I just grabbed one myself. Its really good value oh guess what. I went to Frys and got another 20% off lol. Got the evga XC model with boost clock at 1845 for $230+ tax. Frys does daily codes for 20% but they excluded video cards from it now, but I used to work there 6 years ago and surprisingly lot of people still work there at the store that I know so she still discounted it by 20% and hooked me up, even though the coupon said video cards excluded. She said dont worry about it, I got you. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

it was 251 out the door for the OC model. with +100 on the core it boosts above 1950 most of the time and memory overclocks all the way to 1500, pretty much maxing out the slider in afterburner. I guess I am never returning this one, totally satisfied.

NIce getting the hookup!

Great price. I also got the EVGA XC model. I have an OC of +120 core and +399 memory, so far from today looks good. Getting consistent boost above 2000 MHz, very nice.

I did have a scare earlier this afternoon, the machine just blacked out in the middle of a game. I thought maybe it was the OC, but I could not get anything but a black screen after multiple reboots.

Was ready to start switching the GPU to my spare, but when I opened that case I noticed the 8-pin power connection was not in all the way. Since my case door was right on it, it must have loosened it up.

But there was a good 20 minutes where I thought I may have fried the video card (or worse). Luckily it was nothing.

Great price. I also got the EVGA XC model. I have an OC of +120 core and +399 memory, so far from today looks good. Getting consistent boost above 2000 MHz, very nice.

I did have a scare earlier this afternoon, the machine just blacked out in the middle of a game. I thought maybe it was the OC, but I could not get anything but a black screen after multiple reboots.

Was ready to start switching the GPU to my spare, but when I opened that case I noticed the 8-pin power connection was not in all the way. Since my case door was right on it, it must have loosened it up.

But there was a good 20 minutes where I thought I may have fried the video card (or worse). Luckily it was nothing.

Might be temps for me. I am getting consistently around 1950+ on core. +100 and +1500 on memory. I haven't tested it entirely but I did run stress test with time spy extreme. I stopped it after like 15 loops, seemed to be stable. I read some reviews and they were also getting max memory stable. Looks like memory had quiet a bit of headroom on these cards.

TPU on the other hand got an OC orf 220+ on the core. I call shits on that honestly unless they got golden sample or something. Some of their stuff seems out of this world lol.

At $280 of course its a better card. But AMD hasn't officially lowered the price. As of now its much closer to $400, I don't think it has to go as low as $280 to compete with nvidia though, I'd say it could go as "high" as say $330 and still be a good choice. Now, the RX590 is supposedly dropping to $229, but I'd still get the GTX1660Ti.

I think we'll have to wait till navi for AMD to compete on this segment.
But Vega 56 is not the same price.
Even if it was it's still somewhat debatable if it's a better product - power consumption and heat don't really matter at the high end where you're kinda expected to own a decent case and PSU, but they absolutely do matter in the midrange market where a lot of people have a cheapo case and 500W power supplies.

Currently there 2 Dutch retailers shipping Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB for 272 Euro.

Awesome, rkatapt . I hope you enjoy the card as much as I am.

Should be a nice upgrade from a 1050.

What monitor do you use?

It's an old Dell 24" with native 1920x1200, 60hz, and 5ms. It's going to be the next upgrade. Looking for a 27" 1440 and 144hz.

I ran Superposition on high 1080p and the 1050 scored 3744 and the 1660 scored 8571.
Also, I benchmarked Far Cry 5 with the 1660 and never dropped below 65fps. Right now I'm running the actual game on Ultra and see very few drops below 60 and average about 80fps. The 1050 ran on high at about 45fps.

I'd say it's a good improvement. A new monitor will be really nice.

It's an old Dell 24" with native 1920x1200, 60hz, and 5ms. It's going to be the next upgrade. Looking for a 27" 1440 and 144hz.

I ran Superposition on high 1080p and the 1050 scored 3744 and the 1660 scored 8571.
Also, I benchmarked Far Cry 5 with the 1660 and never dropped below 65fps. Right now I'm running the actual game on Ultra and see very few drops below 60 and average about 80fps. The 1050 ran on high at about 45fps.

I'd say it's a good improvement. A new monitor will be really nice.

Respectable Superposition score, I have a RX580 8gb that does around 6200.

Sounds like a nice improvement.

Back