GTX 1660 (RX580/590 killer) is out

Yeah.. and if they could get in stock on the amazons I would put my damn order in for one.

Yeah.. and if they could get in stock on the amazons I would put my damn order in for one.

Go ahead and order it. I ordered one with an anticipated stock date of March 23rd - it arrived yesterday. Replaced an aging GTX 570 in our streaming PC.

So when's the 1680 Ti or GTX 2080 Ti come out? :p

I don't understand where they're getting 16 at whatsoever.. this should have been a GTX 2060 or 1160.

I would hope this card would kill a 590 though, considering a 590 was barely much faster than a 1060 6GB.

Last edited:
Great card for the price point. It would have been even better with GDDR5X as the 192 bit bus is choking this card using slower GDDR5.

I was contemplating the price between a 580 and a 590 earlier this week, then Nvidia drops this contender in the ring....decision made.

Yeah, you might be able to get like $100 for the game bundle, would be like half off the price of the card.

Great card for the price point. It would have been even better with GDDR5X as the 192 bit bus is choking this card using slower GDDR5.

No it doesn't. Pascal 1060 was actually overkill on bandwidth.

See the 1070 Ti, which has 55-65% higher performance than the 1060, while only having 33% higher theoretical bandwidth.

perfrel_2560_1440.png

If anything, Nvidia overshot on the needs for GDDR5X on anything but the 1080 Ti, which is why they ditched it for the 1080 refresh.

Also,Turing has a bit better memory compression than it's predecessor, so bumping performance 15% on the same memory is more than accounted for.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Pascal 1060 was actually overkill on bandwidth.

See the 1070 Ti, which has 55-65% higher performance than the 1060, while only having 33% higher theoretical bandwidth.

View attachment 148481

If anything, Nvidia overshot on the needs for GDDR5X on anything but the 1080 Ti, which is why they ditched it for the 1080 refresh.

Also,Turing has a bit better memory compression than it's predecessor, so bumping performance 15% on the same memory is more than accounted for.

1. this a thread about the 1660, not the 1060.
2. bandwidth requirements are not the same for all games, so averages can be deceiving.
3. bandwidth requirements are typically lower for ultra as the cards do not pump as many fps. PcGamer shows this well.
4. I have not heard of this magical memory compression applying to GDDR5.

Screenshot_20190315-221329_YouTube.jpg

https://www.techspot.com/review/1811-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-review/

TBH i dont think the 1660 is the 580/590 killer, because honestly I never took those cards seriously. As much as I want AMD to do well, I just never took the 400/500/vega games seriously

RX 580 was a solid card for the price. Not anything amazing, but a decent contender.

Vega 56/64 were okay performance-wise but kind of lost due to scalping pricing for most of their launch (if you could find them at MSRP, that wasn't bad).

Radeon VII is another story. That is one nice card and very competitive for the price.

1. this a thread about the 1660, not the 1060.
2. bandwidth requirements are not the same for all games, so averages can be deceiving.
3. bandwidth requirements are typically lower for ultra as the cards do not pump as many fps. PcGamer shows this well.
4. I have not heard of this magical memory compression applying to GDDR5.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1811-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-review/

The only thing I will touch on is that architectural memory compression improvements do not have squat to do with the type of memory is being used.

I'd still get the RX 570 for the money when considering a mid range card.

According to Tech Spot's FPS numbers, the 1660 shows a 36% improvement over the RX 570 when averaged over 38 popular titles.

That is a good improvement, but is it worth a $90+ price hike in addition to missing out on the bundled 2 games?

I'd be more inclined to save the money and make up the 36% performance difference by reducing graphics settings or just being happy with 1080p 60 fps.

If I was looking for a substantial FPS increase I would look towards the $349 RTX 2060 or a Vega 56 on sale.

Okay Nightfire, you've made your point. It's noticeably needs more bandwidth in corner-cases.

So what about Turing makes it so much more bandwidth-hungry? In the past generations part of improving efficiency has been making memory access less necessary.

The old tests of games I posted earlier were stressing Pascal to the limit, as the 1070 Ti keeps within 10% of the 1080 in all of the above tests you linked, so Pascal would not be limited with a similar memory bandwidth.

This could also just be an early memory optimization bug that will be corrected in the future, as the 1660 is the first Turning GPU to use the older memory tech.

Okay Nightfire, you've made your point. It's noticeably needs more bandwidth in corner-cases.

So what about Turing makes it so much more bandwidth-hungry? In the past generations part of improving efficiency has been making memory access less necessary.

The old tests of games I posted earlier were stressing Pascal to the limit, as the 1070 Ti keeps within 10% of the 1080 in all of the above tests you linked, so Pascal would not be limited with a similar memory bandwidth.

This could also just be an early memory optimization bug that will be corrected in the future, as the 1660 is the first Turning GPU to use the older memory tech.

The gtx 1060 had about 4 Teraflops of performance and the 1660 has about 5. I am not sure if their is an "ideal" bandwidth to Teraflop ratio or if it is even linear, but that might be a factor.

Also, newer games seem to demand more. Steve from Hardware Unboxed will have a Mega benchmark when he returns from vacation, so a pattern will be more apparent then.

Finally, there may need to be some GDDR5 optimization as you say.

I thought this was relevant. Credit to AlphaC at OCN. Still looks like a sweet card to me, will probably grab one for my HPTC down the road.
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    297.9 KB · Views: 0
I thought this was relevant. Credit to AlphaC at OCN. Still looks like a sweet card to me, will probably grab one for my HPTC down the road.

The World of Tanks was especially interesting as even the 1070ti was beaten significantly by the 1080. Some of the other results would show even greater separation with the settings turned down. With higher resolutions, I am willing to bet the 1660 will be much closer to the 1660ti.

The World of Tanks was especially interesting as even the 1070ti was beaten significantly by the 1080. Some of the other results would show even greater separation with the settings turned down. With higher resolutions, I am willing to bet the 1660 will be much closer to the 1660ti.
Yeah they were pretty close in a lot of tests. Seems like a memory OC is helpful. Something I never bother to do.

Yeah, you might be able to get like $100 for the game bundle, would be like half off the price of the card.

No way. The over supply of codes have lowered the value on this bundle.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMD-Bundle-...357314?hash=item4d8f66bf42:g:uaYAAOSwOttcjCI6

60 cdn for all three games which is around 45 USD.

I would say having more realistic expectation is about 60USD.

One more thing you have to consider is this card will have superior resale value unless mining comes back.

Also this card has significantly better overclocking than the RX 590.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_1660_Storm_X/33.html

All these cards overclocked to the same extent even the cheap 220 dollars ones. The rx 590 on the other hand is a bad overclocker.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/Radeon_RX_590_Fatboy/35.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/Radeon_RX_590_Nitro_Plus/35.html

The RX 590 was a terrible precedent for gamers. In the past refreshes not only came down a tier, but had lower pricing than their predecessor to boot.

Somehow AMD managed to increase the price of the first Polaris product and increase the product up a tier for a product 30 months later. The R and D expense of Polaris has long since been recovered so any subsequent refreshes should come out cheaper. E.g GTx 680 --> 770, 7970 --> 280x, 7870--> 270x.

With the 290x --> 390x, amd changed this but atleast they doubled the memory and it came out with lower launch pricing than the 290x(on top of having a good game bundle).

There is nothing about the RX 480 to rx 590 that justifies the name and price change considering the latter came out 30 months later. AMD could have upgraded the memory but they did a basic refresh without an architecture change.

The Gtx 1660 is mostly worth its money because Nvidia not only is a new architecture and larger than it's predecessor, it shows how badly consumers were getting ripped off with the rx590 because of the immediate price drop.

People should buy rx 570 and possible 580s if they can be found for about 160 dollars, but the rx590 deserves to fail.

Unless you want more refreshes and even longer product cycles, people should not buy the rx 590.

The irony of the situation is the scum AMD viral marketing team's hypocrisy. They are trying to turn this into a negative launch by saying this should be a GTX 1650 but are somehow okay with the RX 480-RX590 transition and should buy the RX 590 for this anticonsumer move. The hypocrisy in this situation is extreme.

The RX 480 to 590 uses, same architecture, same die size and gets promoted up a tier and it is okay.

The GTX 1660 uses a die more than 2x larger than a GTX 1050, has a 137% more performance(according to techpowerup), and uses a die 40% larger than even the GTX 1060, yet Nvidia should be cursed for calling this a 1660 and not a 1650(on top of coming out with a lower price than the original GTX 1060). Considering even adored TV has mostly positive things to say about the gtx 1660ti and there were some explanations for the GTX 1660 ti price increase, the RX 590 has zero explanation for the price increase since it doesn't bring anything new to the table and has no R and D expense to recover.

I been all around AMD and that Sapphire Nitro RX 590 at $219 with 3 GAMES is sweet …

but the RX 570 8Gb has the best power plan to me gaming it vs 580 and can be overclock to near that level , with 2 free games as the data says it is an R - 390 8Gb using about 125watts = win = in Fire Strike it scores around 13,300 gpu in stock form = $149 = almost free video card = everyone in the world should be baseline RX 570 as AMD has giving them away like sweet candy to us grown children .

The 1660 is a great card and does put the hurt on 580/590 sales. However, I was looking for a slightly less powerful card for an old Ivy Bridge 3570K and picked up a Powercolor RX 570 for 129.99 plus the two free games at Newegg today. That's hard to beat if you're upgrading an old system.

wonder if this would be an upgrade over my aging gtx 680 4gb card. For my backup pc

Picked up this 1160ti little monster for a mini atx am4 build I'm doing for my girlfriend. She fell and broke her arm and leg on the same night and been recovering in her room for months. You can only watch so much hulu after awhile. I think this card will slay just about anything maxed out at 1080p. She likes modern 2d side scrollers, puyo puto tetris, move or die, and fairly linear 3rd person games. She's been borrowing my vr built machine with a 1080ti, but its a midsize overkill tower monster that looks terrible in her room. I normally wait for H to do reviews on these cards.. But I think it'll be a solid direction for her.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932132 going into this new case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z8574215

That looks like it's going to be a nice build. The 1660 Ti has been great for me at 1080p, should do well for pretty much any game.

Back