GTX 1650 Super vs. RX 5500 XT vs. Polaris

Best mainstream card for 2020 and beyond.

• GTX 1650 Super

• RX 5500 xt 4gb

• RX 5500 xt 8gb

• RX 580

• RX 590

• GTX 1060 6gb

• 5500 xt 8gb vote count as 4 gb votes; can't remove

Results are only viewable after voting.
The 390x still holds up rather well in modern titles:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_rx_5500_xt_review,13.html

Not bad for a card that is basically 6 years old.

I have to chuckle at those that say the next gen consoles will get destroyed by PCs in a couple years. Hardware just doesn't advance that fast anymore.
And in fact this card is like even more than 7 years old. It's the same GPU as the 290/290x, only a bit pushed, renamed and with more VRAM (8GB instead of 4GB but there is some 290X which already used 8GB). This GPU is completely on par with RX 580, plus has plenty of compute power for FP64.

Best mainstream new card, Zotac 1660 Super $199 plus a number of other sells for the 1660 Super:
https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-gtx-1660-zt-t16600k-10m/p/N82E16814500480?Description=GTX 1660 super&cm_re=GTX_1660_super-_-14-500-480-_-Product

The 1650 Super which for the most part gets beaten by the 5500XT at stock (not by much) needs to come down in price as well as the 5500 XT - Just too many cards are in the $150 to $200 range. 5500 XT, subtract $30 because it is stupid to buy one when one can have a 1660 Super for virtually the same cost as a 8gb 5500XT. I also think the pricing on all these level of cards are about $50 too high. The 2060 should be less than $300.

NO. Stop trying to find flash deals already people. The card you are showing is a 1660 'Super Compact' conveniently named to confuse buyers. The cheapest 1660 Super cards are $230 and that is for a pos single fan model.

The 390x still holds up rather well in modern titles:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_rx_5500_xt_review,13.html

Not bad for a card that is basically 6 years old.

I have to chuckle at those that say the next gen consoles will get destroyed by PCs in a couple years. Hardware just doesn't advance that fast anymore.

I bought a 290x New Edition for $269 with a free game in March 2015.. it has a 390x core with faster Samsung memory but just a collectors item now ..

So, For me 10 years in World of Tanks I played it and the RX 580 vs RX 5700 flashed .. I don't need the RX 5700 really so all these Nvidia cards are to compete for money and not game play .

A hidden gem right here: GTX 1060 with GDDR5x.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kfa2-gtx-1060-6-gb-gddr5x/34.html

For reasons known only to God, it came stock running at 8 gbps, making it look equal to the standard 1660. However, it could be overclocked to over 11.5 gbps! Even with the worst core overclock, it easily beat all other overclocked GTX 1060s.

So whatever happened to GDDR5x? It seems like GDDR5x would have been a great pairing for the GTX 1660 without adding as much cost to get 1660 Super performance.

NO. Stop trying to find flash deals already people. The card you are showing is a 1660 'Super Compact' conveniently named to confuse buyers. The cheapest 1660 Super cards are $230 and that is for a pos single fan model.
My error, your right. Super compact lol - that appears to be very misleading.

And the fact that the hardware target doesn't change (for the most part) for the life of the console meaning developers can optimize very well for the hardware, allowing it to be fully-utilized. (y)

The fastest car in the world (depending on your definition) is a modified Ford GT. That's like saying Fords are faster than Lamborginis.

Not really.

Console hardware is always outdated well before it hits retail shelves.

Techpowerup had a review of the MSI 5500XT 8GB card. Looks like it slots between the 1650 Super and the 1660 non-super. Somewhere around the performance of the 590 with significantly less heat and power.

Price is the killer though. I almost think that's artificially high to drive out inventory of Polaris. It really needs to be in the $170-180 range to compete with the 1650/1660. You can make a good argument at that price point. You can't at $225 since the non-super 1660 is cheaper and faster.

Will be interesting to see what the 5600 series brings also. It can't really go much above $250 though as the 5700 (non-XT) drops to sub-$300 somewhat often and with a bios flash absolutely crushes anything in that price point.

Techpowerup had a review of the MSI 5500XT 8GB card. Looks like it slots between the 1650 Super and the 1660 non-super. Somewhere around the performance of the 590 with significantly less heat and power.

Price is the killer though. I almost think that's artificially high to drive out inventory of Polaris.

If AMD can get it while the getting's good, better them then the scalpers, right?

Not really.

Console hardware is always outdated well before it hits retail shelves.

That won’t be the case this time if the rumors are true of a 12 Teraflop GPU in the next Xbox. That will likely be faster than any PC graphics card under $500 in 2021.

That won’t be the case this time if the rumors are true of a 12 Teraflop GPU in the next Xbox. That will likely be faster than any PC graphics card under $500 in 2021.

Teraflops are not game render performance -- see every GPU AMD has ever released.

I'd be quite surprised if the Xbox winds up any faster than 5700XT-equivalent. With checkerboard rendering and other tricks, and the power usage involved along with the CPU, and that's about right.

By the time it actually hits the market it'll be lucky to be half as fast as what's available for desktops.

Why do so many claim that the Se X will need checkerboard 'tricks' when even the One X could achieve 4k or at least 1800p dynamic?

We get it - the new console will not do 4k ultra at 60+ fps on all games. Most hardcore gamers don't actually play at those settings anyhow.

I don't recall consoles being faster than PC ever

Consoles will never be faster than the top of the line $1000 pc graphics cards. But that’s not really relevant as games don’t target those cards and consoles are in a whole different price bracket.

Question is whether graphics cards in the $250-$400 range will be up to the task. An even bigger question is whether all those 4 core PC CPUs out there will keep up once console devs get their hands on 8-core Zen. Big wave of PC upgrades coming I think.

Consoles will never be faster than the top of the line $1000 pc graphics cards. But that’s not really relevant as games don’t target those cards and consoles are in a whole different price bracket.

Question is whether graphics cards in the $250-$400 range will be up to the task. An even bigger question is whether all those 4 core PC CPUs out there will keep up once console devs get their hands on 8-core Zen. Big wave of PC upgrades coming I think.

My 4/8 Xeon (1620-0) struggles with some new-ish titles already. Looking to move my RTX2070 in to a 8/16 system as soon as I have the time and motivation
I have a Fractal nano case with a matching Fractal Ion+ Plat PS just sitting here waiting for me to get my ass in gear and order some parts.

I'll take the pepsi challenge any day of the week on the PS4pro/XboxOneX vs my GTX 1070 or GTX1070Ti.

I've been getting this Console is faster than PC since the PSX came out. Yes the PC has alwyas been much more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

I've been getting this Console is faster than PC since the PSX came out. Yes the PC has alwyas been much more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

And to flip it around -- consoles have always been a pretty good value for what you get, you know, if you're happy with what they're offering ;)

My 4/8 Xeon (1620-0) struggles with some new-ish titles already.

Yup. Remember that consoles have stripped-down, purpose-built operating systems and games optimized for their specific hardware / software stack, and desktop PCs have much more going on. Absolute efficiency is traded for flexibility.

But still, the bar has only moved from four cores to six in the last few years, with four cores delivering the average framerates but frametimes suffering versus six. Up to eight cores and decent single-core performance and you're good through the consoles arriving after the upcoming pair just as quads were good through the last two generations.

Reactions: Auer
like this
And to flip it around -- consoles have always been a pretty good value for what you get, you know, if you're happy with what they're offering ;)
I guess, but you get so much more with PC gaming that I think its a better value for me anyway.

My brother was always a console guy but he noticed 1st hand when I pitted his PSX vs my PC on NFS2SE. I mean there was no contest. Still he went to Xbox then PS2, PS3 and now PS4pro, always knowing the PC was better.
He did get into PC gaming for a while with a Geforce 4Ti IIRC.
But likes to keep things simple. He doesn't have the time nor the will to setup a gaming PC.
But when he comes home, I can't get his hands off my pc :D:D:D

I don't recall consoles being faster than PC ever

Depends very much on the time period you're talking about. During the 1980s and 90's there were some short period of times where consoles were faster, or had were faster in one aspect. Usually in dedicated chips for 2D backgrounds and sprite management. Then everyone wen to 3D, and once dedicated 3D cards arrived, that ended that.

1650 super would be the go to if you had an interest in streaming or recording game play.
Nvenc is solid whether new or old, shadowplay for noobs is solid, OBS has gotten better with nvenc integration.
If if you just wanted to cap 5min intervals and hot key a clip to tweet, Nvidia is the least obtrusive choice

When it got down to solely game play, what's the best thing you can get used for $200 that kept steady frametime?

If it was not for AMD .. getting 8Gb cards from Nvidia new for under $300 just does not exist and I say WTF

Yeah, I dont get the pricing here either.
It will drop when stocks of 570/80/90 are gone. It makes for shitty reviews, but they have to clear out old stock. I would think there will be some great prices on NEW Polaris cards to complement the dirt cheap used mining cards as they clear channels. I'm not sure why they didn't do this earlier? Maybe the used market for the 500 series is just too good and plentiful to impact any deep sale price. Anyways their hand is forced now.

Reactions: Auer
like this
It will drop when stocks of 570/80/90 are gone. It makes for shitty reviews, but they have to clear out old stock. I would think there will be some great prices on NEW Polaris cards to complement the dirt cheap used mining cards as they clear channels. I'm not sure why they didn't do this earlier? Maybe the used market for the 500 series is just too good and plentiful to impact any deep sale price. Anyways their hand is forced now.

It's extra shitty as it brought the 570/580/590 prices on the used market up 10%-30%

I wouldn't get either. If the rumors are true about the 5600 xt, then that's a much better choice for not to much more. The 5500 is nothing but a disappointment considering the RX 580.

I wouldn't get either. If the rumors are true about the 5600 xt, then that's a much better choice for not to much more. The 5500 is nothing but a disappointment considering the RX 580.

Depends on price. Given recent pricing history, they will probably ask $300...

Depends on price. Given recent pricing history, they will probably ask $300...

Prices fit Nvidia in this price range are awful. Performance should be between the $280 1660ti and $330 2060. Let's hope AMD breaks ground here.

Back