GTX 1630 to release in 2022. Seriously.

OKC Yeakey Trentadue

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently Nvidia has become jeoulous of the mocking plubicity, but publicity nonetheless, of AMDs RX 6500xt/6400 GPUs. This gem is discussed extensively here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/the-6500xt-and-6400-meet-your-next-gpu-pc-gaming-peasants.2015965/

Enter the RTX 1630. With just over half the cores of the 1650 with half as much bandwidth, this card will likely perform below a GTX 1050 albeit more memory.
https://www.techpowerup.com/295015/...-with-512-cuda-cores-4-gb-gddr6?cp=3#comments

I had brainstormed the idea of such a card being released before...over 3 years ago. I was thinking 96 but and not a paltry 64 bit, though
https://hardforum.com/threads/gtx-1650ti-thread-another-amd-threat.1979807/

So we are looking at a card that may struggle against newer APUs. I suppose they still have value over AMD's budget cards for some should they have encoding capability. Crazy backwards times we live in, folks.

Nice it was a very long time since the last x30 relase, it could be a nice upgrade depending of price point and:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Turing could add h.265 4:4:4, 8-10-12 bits decoding over a 1030 and a giant amount more of encoding.
It would be a nicepairing with a R5 5600 or 5500 if it is released at around $100, but I won't hold my breath. Any more than that and you might as well just get an APU or Intel CPU with integrated graphics.

Must have run out of 1030 stock so now a minimal bump with a much higher $$ to board partners. We have all seen what 1030's have gone for the last few years! Can't blame Nvidia as they never have turned up an opportunity to bleep the low guy :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think we need more new low-end cards. It's insane that the low-end segment is still filled with cards like the Geforce GT 730, and the 1030 is offered almost as a premium low-end card. There are cases where you need a videocard even if you will never be playing games on that computer, so it doesn't need to have a lot of GPU power. It still has to do certain things well though. If it supports the latest HDMI spec and can do hardware decoding of new codecs (x265, etc) then it would make a great HTPC card.

I think we need more new low-end cards. It's insane that the low-end segment is still filled with cards like the Geforce GT 730, and the 1030 is offered almost as a premium low-end card. There are cases where you need a videocard even if you will never be playing games on that computer, so it doesn't need to have a lot of GPU power. It still has to do certain things well though. If it supports the latest HDMI spec and can do hardware decoding of new codecs (x265, etc) then it would make a great HTPC card.
I still can't believe that they are making 710/730. I saw my MC get a huge shipment of 730s late last year.

Why can't they just use the Ampere architecture instead of using the old legacy Pascal instead? And does this card even support HDMI 2.1? Probably not which makes this card even less appealing. Even AMD was smart enough to use their latest RDNA 2 for their budget cards, for a huge company such as NVIDIA this is an absurd joke.

Why can't they just use the Ampere architecture instead of using the old legacy Pascal instead? And does this card even support HDMI 2.1? Probably not which makes this card even less appealing. Even AMD was smart enough to use their latest RDNA 2 for their budget cards, for a huge company such as NVIDIA this is an absurd joke.

Bottom line, it is still a good option for those that got a CPU w/o an igpu and maybe no longer game or their dGPU broke so the just need something for their PC to work.

Must have run out of 1030 stock so now a minimal bump with a much higher $$ to board partners. We have all seen what 1030's have gone for the last few years! Can't blame Nvidia as they never have turned up an opportunity to bleep the low guy :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's kinda castrated - it won't be faster than a 1050 - but but uses the exact same amount of power might as well drop the clocks down below 1050 performance, and somewhere-between 30 and 55w tdp!

You can't really reduce the price of a card below $100 if you still have to dissipate 75w!

It would be a nicepairing with a R5 5600 or 5500 if it is released at around $100, but I won't hold my breath. Any more than that and you might as well just get an APU or Intel CPU with integrated graphics.
a high end gaming rig can be built out of a r5 5600 cpu. a GTX1630 is underkill for a ryzen 3100.

There's this bad boy, Newegg sells it for about $140 though, so not a good value unless you really need the form factor.

Is the TU117-300-A1 really more Pascal than Turing ?

Is there many cases where 60hz-4K, 120hz-1440p be a limiting with that kind of card ? Gemini Man is one of the few content/issue I can think of and even Gemini Man UHD bluray was only 4k 60fps for regular 2D. I doubt people buying this to play game would mind much.

Last edited:
Why would they? It’s way cheaper to use older chips on an older fab. It would be dumb to use Ampere for a card like this.

I think this space should be well filled by Intel when they finally get their ass in gear.

The RTX would be so weak on this card no one would bother using it.

well yes,. but sourcing a further-cut 3050 would actually allow for 30w tdp, running GDDR6 12Gbps 64-bit (a true replacement for 1030 , instead of this crap Turing side-grade with pascal-era memory!)

I still can't believe that they are making 710/730. I saw my MC get a huge shipment of 730s late last year.
They're for servers and the like - single slot, no external power, simple output. I've bought 4 of them, and one 710, and a 5940 for those use cases.

Why not RTX3030 rather this 1630 ?
R is for hardware tensor core raytracing and an expectation of feature NVEC and so on that this card will not support.

Has for why never have 2xxx or 3xxx GTX I am not that certain, what is the point of the big deal with the distinction if the GTX is not used anyway....

The reason are probably quite similar to why a 1650 GTX instead of a 2050 GTX.

If I use my reaction to someone being able to buy a 2060 at a really good price in 2020, their strategy could be working, there is a certain aura to a product that start with a 2xxx or a 3xxx that could be maintained because those brand never went under a certain level.

Last edited:
Nice it was a very long time since the last x30 relase, it could be a nice upgrade depending of price point and:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Turing could add h.265 4:4:4, 8-10-12 bits decoding over a 1030 and a giant amount more of encoding.
The 1030 had zero encoding, and its decoding was lackluster even for the time, not even counting the DDR4 variant.
Considering iGPUs are capable of everything it can do, this is just another money grab for those desperate to get a better-than-integrated GPU at this point but still can't afford a mid-tier option at the moment, but will still get a mid-tier option once they become available.

This is starting to feel less like a viable option, and more like a revisit of the 8400GS.
The more you buy the more you save! :wacky:

In the words of Jay Sherman, it stinks! Good for a laugh though. Perhaps though it will herald a new age of new sub $100 gpus.

In the words of Jay Sherman, it stinks! Good for a laugh though. Perhaps though it will herald a new age of new sub $100 gpus.

At this point you might as well wait for a Zen 4 APU running DDR5 and RDNA 3. I'm thinking it would be a match for this with better h.255 and AV1 encoding/decoding support with less power draw.

Fully quiet is nice, FSR could help the performance.

The GeForce GTX 1630 has support for H.264 and H.265 video encode and decode acceleration, is also nice.

$150 USD make all of this useless and show just how starve the market is.

a 12100 with the latest quicksync and 3 video output is cheaper and you have a super powerful CPU that come with it.

Or if you need some GPU performance but do not need more than half an old 1060 6GB card, a Ryzen 5600G is around $185, yes the 1630 seem a bit more powerful than the 5600G gpu but not by that much, the Zen4 APU comment is probably true (and that one will have even more up to date codecs), that not a sustainable price.

That a perfect rare to have a bad product, just bad price example, would be a really nice $90 card.

Back