GTX 1080 went up in smoke

MRAB54

Gawd
So I'm sitting at my desk and suddenly my screens go black, start hearing some soft popping sounds coming from my rig. Start smelling burning electronics. I unplugged everything, took off the cover and couldn't visibly see anything burnt up.

So, I plugged 'er back in and immediately saw a bit of smoke coming from the vid card - that's no good. Kind of strange to me tbh, I didn't press the power button, simply plugging in the power caused it to smoke.

I have owned the card for a little over a year, EVGA FTW. Never overclocked. Anybody else hear stories of early deaths with these cards?

Also, is the rest of my rig suspect now? I pulled the card and it boots at least.

Maybe your power supply smoked it.

I would have NEVER plugged it back in after system going down with sizzle noises and that wonderful burnt electronics smell. Nope. No Siree.

Sniff the parts up close to your shnoz individually and see which reeks the most or any. and replace/test those parts.

Yes ice heard of evga cards going up in smoke before a few times.. ain't nothing new.

Though ice heard people say it happends to all brands.

At least it's a evga card! Evga will take care of You! Can call them 24/7.

I had the same card do the same thing to me just as I got it. Didn't even power up before I saw the smoke of death. They were good to work with on getting it swapped out.

There was a thing with their first wave of GTX 10 cards where some people had found the PWM temp to be getting too high:

https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Could be related to that?

Anyways, EVGA will help you out, their support and warranty is great.

I'd suggest running the system with onboard GPU for a bit to make sure nothing else was damaged when the card went up! And back up your important files if you haven't already; you can never be too cautious with a PC that's had a blue smoke incident.

Maybe your power supply smoked it.

I would have NEVER plugged it back in after system going down with sizzle noises and that wonderful burnt electronics smell. Nope. No Siree.

Sniff the parts up close to your shnoz individually and see which reeks the most or any. and replace/test those parts.

I would like to say I like to live dangerously but in reality it's mostly curiosity coupled with stupidity :D

I took everything out, gave the sniff test and the card definitely stunk. Everything else was good, cpu socket looked good. My PSU is a corsair ax850. To play it safe I picked up a new one.

EVGA support was great, no wait on the phone at 8PM. Just checked the RMA and looks like they are shipping a 11G-P4-6591-KR, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti iCX!!! Awesome, can't wait! Now just crossing my fingers everything else is OK.

It will probably be fine. My last EVGA RMA card is still running 5 years after replacement. Good to hear they still have top notch RMA service.

Good luck.. not all roses from evga.

This guy went threw 3 rma's to get a good non faulty 1080ti ftw3 card and in the end they tell him the last card he sent back had damage caused by him.

There stating he got white paint on the black shroud.. t hrn come back to clarify it's not paint but the edge of the shroud is scuffed up and he needs to pay for It! Pay noe or they will charge his credit card for the full amount for the card!

Here's the pic of the card I she's too. From evga.. tell me this is honistly thst this was caused from him.

https://i.imgur.com/JPzGYuL.jpg

Here's his ridiculous almost 140 page thread over vis ehole ordeal with the card issues he got from evga . The last card from this pic was supposed to be a new card but came in a brown box with the damage.. he even emailed threm a pic of it showing the issue to the shroud when he got it.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2734667&fp=1&p=14

Back