gtx 1080 water cooled temps

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
Curious if those of you that have water cooled 1080s could post your temps and your setups i have a 1080 hydro copper and just not happy with its temps so i bit the bullet and got a ek block thinking it would improve my temps i got same or worse out of it sadly im currently seeing 40-47c gaming/benchmarking 46-55c mining with ambs being 19-23c. My current setup is this ek dual bay dual pump ddc >>> xspc rx240 >>> ek 1080 ftw >>> black ice 360 >>> koolance i380 >>> ek ce 420 >>> dual bay dual pump ddc. I have 3 ek 120mm vardars on the 360 6 140mm on the 420 and 2 120mm on the 240. My cpu is overclocked to 4.2Ghz with 1.36 vcore and at 100% load its package hits 53c when rooms at 23c when its 20c in here does not break 50c none of the cores break 45c even at 23c in the room. The thing i notice soon as i load the gpu temps shoot to max instant almost like bad mount but i have taken the card apart like 10 times used differnt amount and ways i put paste on. The one thing confuses me is if you look at the pdf it lists a wierd thing about vrms.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-ftw-acetal-nickel

Did the thermal paste look normal when you removed the water block all those times on the gpu? Squished out as it was under pressure?

Your Gona habe to be more specific about the vrms??

Did you start attaching the water block with the 4 main screws around the gpu die then work your way out when you put on the gpu block?

Honestly you prob should be seeing temps like 10 c lower I'm guessing.

You did remove the plastic from the thermal pads on both sides right?

If you did it all correct them maybe the block is just made wrong and it's not making good contact like one of the posts or more are made too long.

How you shined a flash light threw the side of the block to see if you can see light threw the gpu die contact area? The block looks flat and straight on the card?

Did the thermal paste look normal when you removed the water block all those times on the gpu? Squished out as it was under pressure?

Your Gona habe to be more specific about the vrms??

Did you start attaching the water block with the 4 main screws around the gpu die then work your way out when you put on the gpu block?

Honestly you prob should be seeing temps like 10 c lower I'm guessing.

You did remove the plastic from the thermal pads on both sides right?

If you did it all correct them maybe the block is just made wrong and it's not making good contact like one of the posts or more are made too long.

How you shined a flash light threw the side of the block to see if you can see light threw the gpu die contact area? The block looks flat and straight on the card?

i attached 2 pics for what i mean about the vrms.

I did start with the screws to die then moved out.

yea i thought id see temps atleast 5c better.

i did remove all the plastic from both sides on all the pads memory and vrm.

Not sure id hope not lol.

cant really tell much with it installed but the one thing i do notice is the pads for mosfets dont seem like they are pushed down very much. I had contacted ek about a problem with my res and i asked about the block also they are going to send me vrm pads also along with parts i needed for my res.

Last edited:
yea im not sure i think ek makes ones that are on the msi 1080 seahawks but im not sure who makes gigabytes or evga's blocks.

yea im not sure i think ek makes ones that are on the msi 1080 seahawks but im not sure who makes gigabytes or evga's blocks.
Yeah, MSI advertises that they use EK blocks. I'd believe EVGA makes their own, but I kinda doubt it with Gigabyte. It's a decent quality block, though you can see some machining marks in the channels; wouldn't be surprised if it were a Bykski or something.

I have the MSI Seahawk EK X and my temps are about the same as yours. I have a XE 360 & XE 480.
Loop goes pump -> 480 -> CPU -> GPU -> 360 -> pump. I think my high temps are due to the loop hitting the CPU first and then the GPU.

Curious if those of you that have water cooled 1080s could post your temps and your setups i have a 1080 hydro copper and just not happy with its temps so i bit the bullet and got a ek block thinking it would improve my temps i got same or worse out of it sadly im currently seeing 40-47c gaming/benchmarking 46-55c mining with ambs being 19-23c. My current setup is this ek dual bay dual pump ddc >>> xspc rx240 >>> ek 1080 ftw >>> black ice 360 >>> koolance i380 >>> ek ce 420 >>> dual bay dual pump ddc. I have 3 ek 120mm vardars on the 360 6 140mm on the 420 and 2 120mm on the 240. My cpu is overclocked to 4.2Ghz with 1.36 vcore and at 100% load its package hits 53c when rooms at 23c when its 20c in here does not break 50c none of the cores break 45c even at 23c in the room. The thing i notice soon as i load the gpu temps shoot to max instant almost like bad mount but i have taken the card apart like 10 times used differnt amount and ways i put paste on. The one thing confuses me is if you look at the pdf it lists a wierd thing about vrms.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-ftw-acetal-nickel

What do you mean "shoot to the max?" If you're seeing 55c max, that's a little high, given how many radiators you have, but it's not outrageous. I'm no longer using a water jacket on my 1080, but I recall temps around 48 while gaming with an Aquacomputer Kryographics water jacket and a 480mm rad. More like 44-45 while mining, I think.

I've since replaced that card with a Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti that came with a water jacket. Something I noticed with this 1080Ti is that the temps it reports are about 5 degrees celsius lower than the 1080. I suspect that this has to do with the physical size of the GPU die. Because the 1080 uses a physically smaller chip, it has a harder time transferring heat out of the die and into the jacket, and thus runs a little hotter, despite its overall lower heat output.

My point mentioning the 1080 Ti is that, if you're comparing your temps to those reported by others, you need to be sure that what you're comparing to is a 1080, and not a Ti, because the Ti has an advantage in terms of die area that your 1080 doesn't.

Im pretty sure my 2 1080 classifieds in sli using a ek 780ti classy blocks were under 40c under load. That's using 2 120.3 rads and also the i7 6700k in the same loop before the cards.

Edit:

These cards were runing 2190mhz as well. Room temp in basement 71-72f.

That seems high to me - I'm seeing a max temp of 52c at 100% load on my 1080 strix with an EK block and I've got way less rad than you. Loop is d5 -> xspc AX360 (3xSP120 in push only) -> 1080 -> 7700k.

yea i cant figure out why mine runs so hot right now im undervolting it to keep it under 52c at a heavy load.

Although a little high for the amount of radiator surface area you have. It's still an ok number of max 52. I have two 360mm rads cooling a 7820x and a MSI 1080 Aero OC and my max gaming is 52-53.

yea i cant figure out why mine runs so hot right now im undervolting it to keep it under 52c at a heavy load.
What kind of thermal grease are you using? When you remove the block, does it show a good contact pattern?

i have tried the paste ek gives you, as5 and thermal grizzly paste seemed to spread but next time i pull block off im gonna take a pic.

I had some of that in the past but it was a pain to put on if i recall, im looking at buying some more but just curious how hard it is to put on a gpu.

Last edited:
1080Ti but same same for this stuff.

27 degrees with a 24 degree ambient at idle.
Underload 35-40 degrees at 1093mv running 2062/100 with Kombuster. Depends on time run. Aircon in my room isn't enough to keep the ambient down for long in summer.

D5 at default voltage
EK 360PE
EK 360SE
Same loop as my 7700k at 5.1ghz which adds a whack of heat into the loop but obviously the rads can deal with it.

All running BeQuiet 120's on a ambient temp delta curve (so fans were only running about 50% for most of that)

My temperatures shoot straight to max as well, I think it's just a characteristic of modern processors to be honest, my CPU is the same. That said your temps are a bit higher than I'd expect, having done it wrong myself I'd say reread the instructions on your block. You mention you've done it a few times so I doubt you've done it wrong all the times but I did find that I had a bit of an odd combination of screw lengths and spacers to make mine fit. That's a Ti as mentioned and is with an Aquacomputer block (reknowned for obtuse instructions) but it might be worth a check.

With EKWB on both my cpu and 1080ti, my cpu will have pretty wide temp fluctuations but the gpu is much more gradual under load. The GPU however never goes above 40c and on demanding titles takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. Seems to be very dependent on the rise of the water temps in the loop. I used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the gpu die...

With EKWB on both my cpu and 1080ti, my cpu will have pretty wide temp fluctuations but the gpu is much more gradual under load. The GPU however never goes above 40c and on demanding titles takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. Seems to be very dependent on the rise of the water temps in the loop. I used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the gpu die...
the cpu fluctuation is normal as it usually will operate in bursts while the gpu ususaly will have a steadier load. and yes everything in water cooling is realitive to the water temp.

Back