GTX 1080 ti / AMD Radeon 7

I think it has to do with his specific display....so probably not really meant as a general use

I use them side-by-side on my desktop, literally from the same computer, and the differences in displays is bigger than anything the GPUs can do.

And it may be as simple as the defaults on either or both ends, there are a lot of variables involved when something goes 'wrong' out of the box.

To be honest, I didn't have to much hopes, but fortunately, more than 75 % of the color banding is gone ( AMD Dithering, i guess )

The clouds look now like before the issues started, with GTX 1080 Ti

But the performance with AMD Radeon 7, just sucks. Thats only with X-Plane 11, OpenGL ( Vulkan is coming, hope, this year )

With exactly the same settings, plugins, sceneries, location, I have a very poor performance with Radeon Vll compared to GTX 1080 Ti

From, let's say, 35 FPS with GTX 1080 Ti, to 10 - 12 with AMD Radeon 7 , even less, sometimes
I know, X-Plane 11 - OpenGL... AMD drivers aren't really optimized for OpenGL.....

Now I have to make a decision :

Should I keep the AMD Radeon 7, hoping that Vulkan will change the situation in the future, and having 16 GB VRAM vs 11 ?

Should I try to RMA the GTX 1080 Ti? ( it could be damaged, VRAM or whatever )

I used almost 16 months the GTX 1080 ti, without all the color banding, that's why I mean, it could be damaged....

What would you advise, guys?!

By the way, that's not a Placebo, at all : the colors and the whole pic quality, not only on X-Plane 11, looks better.

Gamma, blacks, everything....

Any ideas / advices / are welcome, thank you

To be honest, I didn't have to much hopes, but fortunately, more than 75 % of the color banding is gone ( AMD Dithering, i guess )

But the performance with AMD Radeon 7, just sucks. Thats only with X-Plane 11, OpenGL ( Vulkan is coming, hope, this year )

With exactly the same settings, plugins, sceneries, location, I have a very poor performance with Radeon Vll compared to GTX 1080 Ti

From, let's say, 35 FPS with GTX 1080 Ti, to 10 - 12 with AMD Radeon 7 , even less, sometimes
I know, X-Plane 11 - OpenGL... AMD drivers aren't really optimized for OpenGL.....

Should I keep the AMD Radeon 7, hoping that Vulkan will change the situation in the future, and having 16 GB VRAM vs 11 ?

I used almost 16 months the GTX 1080 ti, without all the color banding, that's why I mean, it could be damaged....

By the way, that's not a Placebo, at all : the colors and the whole pic quality, not only on X-Plane 11, looks better.

To me it sounds like a driver/os build glitch with the nvidia card....like i cant imagine its hardware damaged from the details from your post. (its not the first time i have heard of nvidia banding issues) But i also think there got to be some way to boost performance on the amd card...it does suck when we run across certain games that amds driver teams completely skipped

I wish I could find a way to boost the performance on AMD.
When I fly over highways, buildings, forests, as I said, with nVidia I have 35 FPS.
Exactly the same location, aircraft, weather conditions, etc, I have 10 FPS with Radeon 7
When I fly through the clouds, without seeing all the ground objects, I have about 55 FPS with nVidia, vs 30 - 34 with AMD
Maybe some driver settings... I don't know

It's really hard to understate AMD + OpenGL --> NO

Vulkan support would flip that on its head.
I don't blame the AMD Radeon 7 - hardware.
Excuse me but I don't really understand what you mean with
" It's really hard to understate AMD + OpenGL --> NO

Vulkan support would flip that on its head "

Can you run this game at a lower resolution? Even 35 FPS would be totally unacceptable, to me.

I forgot to mention something, about the GTX 1080 Ti
Everytime when I rebooted the PC, the display was bright / white
I opened nVidia CP and moved the Gamma slider from 51 to 52 and back to 51 and the image was okay again ( nothing to do with the Color Banding issue )
In this case, was that a hardware or software issue ?
And in the last 3 days, the option 8 bpc was greyed out, I couldn't do nothing. I even tried to uninstall ( with DDU ) the driver but after i reinstalled the driver and rebooted the PC, the 8 bpc color depth option was greyed out, again

Can you run this game at a lower resolution? Even 35 FPS would be totally unacceptable, to me.
If I'd have constantly 35 FPS on X-Plane 11, over NYC - Manhattan, or whatever sceneries, I couldn't be happier :)
That's the most FPS killer I've ever seen in more than 20 years computing / gaming
Not even a 5,8 GHz CPU - GTX 2080 Ti - 64 GB RAM DDR4, could run it @ 4k, 60 FPS
Anyway .....

Yes, indeed
Do you think, Vulkan will change this ?

AMD never could write an OpenGL driver for gaming. Which makes sense as the market for that is near non-existent (you found the 'near' part).

Their Vulkan support is top-notch though. Supposing it's decently implemented, it should make a world of a difference.

I wish I could keep the AMD Radeon 7
I've never been a " fan boy" generally speaking
I don't care about the brand, color of the product, etc
I want to use the product I purchased, as good as possible
If nVidia don't care about fixing the color banding issues ( I'm not alone, with this issue, but not every nvidia owner, has it ) than I move to AMD

No matter how tech savvy a [H] member is, truth is sometimes we forget the basics.

This is what i do every time i get a new video card or a new display:

- go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php and run the full suit of tests, wuth double care to gamma, contrast, black level and white saturation. i abuse the OSD setting of the new display for correct calibration.

- if i am still not happy, i check the graphics control panel and try another color space.

- try another input on the display, some TVs only accept sRGB or Full on the "gaming mode" HDMI. also triple check on TV forums if there is soem hidden menu to enable sRGB or full

Only after doing all the above and still facing banding would i consider a graphics driver or hardware issue with my GPU. to confirm this, i would look at another display, that i am 200% sure does not has bading issues and runs at sRGb or FULL and test my GPU on it.

If the banding only appers on a few games, i would look into config files, pick up my spyder and run a hardware calibration and setup a new ICC profile overriding previous ones.

CRU is your friend when you want to bypass ggraphics drivers and gaming settins

AMD never could write an OpenGL driver for gaming. Which makes sense as the market for that is near non-existent (you found the 'near' part).

This isn't quite true. I used to run games in OpenGL on my ATI 4890 instead of DirectX as I felt they looked better, and ran smoother. I wouldn't have tolerated running in OpenGL if the performance delta was as large as you indicate here.

This isn't quite true. I used to run games in OpenGL on my ATI 4890 instead of DirectX as I felt they looked better, and ran smoother. I wouldn't have tolerated running in OpenGL if the performance delta was as large as you indicate here.

This doesn't speak as much to the quality of their OpenGL drivers as much as to how poor their DirectX drivers were at the time. Their DirectX drivers have improved...

What would you recommend, guys?
Should I keep the AMD, hoping that Vulkan improves the performance ?

Didn't check the GPU usage in game.

CTRL+SHIFT+O Will give you the build in metrics on the screen. FPS, GPU Usage, Clock Speed, HBM speed, Fan speed, Power usage, CPU Usage. Things like that. Very handy.

On a a side note, does the demo for the game include all the graphical bells and whistles? I'd like to try it on my Vega and see what I come up with performance wise.

You can try the demo, of course
Install it, please, and I'll tell you which settings you should have
Do you have a joystick?
Trackir? VR?
It's pretty hard, without.
And besides, I do have some add-ons, payware, like clouds, aircraft, views - camera, etc.

I have ( again) some questions about AMD Radeon 7
I attached a picture, last night
Which settings should I keep enabled / disabled?
I recorded 2-3 minutes with ReLive, but the video doesn't start. It looks like it paused.
I tried to open it with 3 different video players.
I have always a red border, in the corner up - left,on the desktop.
Can I get ride of it, when I keep ReLive ON ?
And what about my post, with nVidia 8 bpc grayed out?
Just curious...
Thank you

I would only be installing to check performance not to play for too long.
Your radeon settings look fine. I assume you are running the card stock. Maybe try bumping up the power target and ramp the fans up a little to compensate for the added heat.

If I'd have constantly 35 FPS on X-Plane 11, over NYC - Manhattan, or whatever sceneries, I couldn't be happier :)
That's the most FPS killer I've ever seen in more than 20 years computing / gaming
Not even a 5,8 GHz CPU - GTX 2080 Ti - 64 GB RAM DDR4, could run it @ 4k, 60 FPS
Anyway .....
Like I said, maybe don't run it at 4K?

Or is it CPU bound? It doesn't like it, if switching to the Radeon tanked the framerate...

Anyway .....

I remember when I used to be heavily into flight sims. I even did Falcon 3 and Flight logic Flighsim on the Amiga, back in the day. (Even did Janes US Navy Fighters and yes, it was not 100% accurate but, I got pretty good with landing on the carrier in that game.) Yeah, with flight sims, higher resolution seems to be better than faster fps.

You should have explored this topic on a flight sim forum as well. You would have been told not to switch to a Radeon, as Radeon performance in flight sims is HORRIBLE because AMD's driver team is too small to optimize for titles that aren't named Call of Duty of League of Legends or whatever garbage the kids play these days.

Ok I have the game now
I noticed GPU usage is low unless I crank up AA

techguymaxc, relax....
I have 30 days to send back the AMD Radeon 7
I still have the gtx 1080 ti, but it looks awful, the clouds..... sun.....
THUMPer, could you please give more details?
Resolution, settings, fps. ....
Thank you
LE : guys, what do you think about the 8 bpc nvidia control panel issue? Is greyed out
Is that a hardware or software problem?

techguymaxc, relax....
Thank you
LE : guys, what do you think about the 8 bpc nvidia control panel issue? Is greyed out

Relax? What are you talking about? I'm not angry. Just saying that if you have a very specific workload for which you need to know the performance, you ought to check the performance in that workload rather than equivocating the performance of a different workload. If you look at the average graphics card review comparing the cards in question, you could be lead to believe that the Radeon 7 is on-par, or even a step up from the 1080 Ti. That's only true with new, AAA titles though. AMD's driver team literally is not big enough to optimize performance of their driver for anything but these titles. Flight simulators have run badly on AMD hardware for a long time now. I have been a flight simmer for 25 years now, and only in the days of the Radeon 9700 up to the X1900 did they have superior performance to Nvidia in flight sims because of the massive performance lead of the GPU architecture. Once G80 was released we have never seen that situation reoccur.

Go ask your question on avsim.com and watch how many people tell you to return the Radeon. You might even get an answer to your banding issue.

I get about 21 FPS.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 0
THUMPer, try to reduce the AA
techguymaxc, maybe Vulkan will change this, I don't know

THUMPer, try to reduce the AA
techguymaxc, maybe Vulkan will change this, I don't know

It could help for Radeon users, but won't make a difference to Nvidia users because the NV driver is already well-optimized for other APIs so the performance is already good.

Guys after reading this thread I'm starting to become a big believer that AMD will change things with Vulcan.

CTRL+SHIFT+O Will give you the build in metrics on the screen. FPS, GPU Usage, Clock Speed, HBM speed, Fan speed, Power usage, CPU Usage. Things like that. Very handy.

On a a side note, does the demo for the game include all the graphical bells and whistles? I'd like to try it on my Vega and see what I come up with performance wise.

That CTRL+SHIFT+O is a cool feature, thanks for the heads up.

techguymaxc, relax....
Thank you
Out of curiosity, what version Nvidia driver are you on?

p.s. also important, what win 10 version? 1809 or 1903?

Last edited:
amenx, i tried with at least 15 driver versions
Windows 10 x64, as well
I always have backups ( Acronis)
It's hard to understand if that's a hardware or hardware issue
Especially the 8 bpc nvidia control panel greyed out option

Guys after reading this thread I'm starting to become a big believer that AMD will change things with Vulcan.

They already did: it's the defacto game API on non-Windows architectures, and on Windows Intel and Nvidia now both have great support. Assuming you're not trolling ;).

For X-Plane, it might make a huge difference simply because it yanks out all of the abstraction. The potential for reduced overhead would just be a bonus here- the process of developing for Vulkan is what would help. It's actually harder than developing for higher-level APIs like OpenGL and DirectX, but once done, should provide a decent baseline of performance.

They already did: it's the defacto game API on non-Windows architectures, and on Windows Intel and Nvidia now both have great support. Assuming you're not trolling ;).

For X-Plane, it might make a huge difference simply because it yanks out all of the abstraction. The potential for reduced overhead would just be a bonus here- the process of developing for Vulkan is what would help. It's actually harder than developing for higher-level APIs like OpenGL and DirectX, but once done, should provide a decent baseline of performance.

lol, I tried to make it obvious. I just read through the thread earlier and I couldn't count how many times I read about "maybe this will change with vulkan" despite all the replies.

Back